Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
HAs any fuji ask2000 had this problem [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HAs any fuji ask2000 had this problem

andy scothern
23-08-2009, 02:36 PM
On photos that have a large bold colour in it some times it leaves some stripes after it. Has anone had this problem all the settings are default in the fuji drivers.

Thanks Andy :

Mark Amies
24-08-2009, 05:56 AM
I have seen this with prints where the printer may be operating at a higher temperature, perhaps due to the outside temerature being high. On another occasion a streaking problem seemed to be due to the operating software.

It might be an idea to show us the print on here. I would also suggest you stick this on the general section, as other users of other makes could tell you.

Stuart Morley
24-08-2009, 06:29 AM
Had a problem with the ASK4000's where the black areas has a bronzed effect. This was from new and several printers needed to be adjusted / repaired by Fuji.

Normally if the printer is too hot they will go into cooling mode and wait until they have cooled down before resuming printing.

I agree a photo would be a good idea.

A few questions?
Is the first print of the day like this?
Are all the print like this?
Different prints give you the same problem?
Printing the same photo from different applications gives the same fault?
Print been moved since the problem appeared?
Change of Media resolves the issue?

Kind Regards

Stuart

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk

Stuart Morley
24-08-2009, 06:37 AM
Forgot to ask.....It is running on mains power and not from a generator.?

Kind Regards

Stuart

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

andy scothern
24-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi Guys

I will get a image sorted out for you to look at Mark Amies has got some prints that have the streaks.
Answers to questions are it is running on mains power.
I have used 3 different rolls of media and ribbon and it has had the same results with all of the different media. It happens all the time eg the first print or after some use all with the same results.
It is in a home made flight case which has loads of cooling holes in it and all the air filters in printer are clean.
The problem has only happened to about 5 or 6 images that have been printed so it is not a major issue.
I have printed about 600 prints but I bought it second hand from a guy from Rhyll but he would not really say how many prints he had put through it but it was in built into a van he had set up for events. When he got the printer out it did have the media still in it so it may of being transported like that all of the time which may of damaged the thermal head.
But like I say it prints great but just on a very small number of prints this has happened.

Thanks Andy

simon coates
24-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Forgot to ask.....It is running on mains power and not from a generator.?

Hi Stuart,

I've noticed you've posted this question on a couple of printer problem threads. I don't currently run using a generator and am concerned that your questions kind of implies that it is likely to cause printing problems if I do go down the generator route. Why is this?

Simon

Stuart Morley
24-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Simply, Generators do not provide as clean a power supply as the mains. Most of this equipment is designed for usual mains operation and can give problems.

MOST of the time things are fine.....but sometimes you can have quality issues.

I had a call form a customer who was having print quality issues. We tried everything and we were just about to ship him a loan printer when he said....

"It works fine in the office.......", so my reply was "Where doens't it work fine?" to which the answer was "when using a generator". Problem solved.

Last month a customer came back with a month old Click System which had a fried power supply from using a Generator without a UPS

We use Generators with a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) and have no issues. BUT you must use the correct type (PM me for some links about this)

I must stress that a lot of people use generators WITHOUT a UPS and maybe have not had issues but that is what we use.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards

Stuart

Mark Amies
24-08-2009, 01:30 PM
I would have thought you would need to be extremely cautious wen using a generator, and I would have thought that there may be a possibility of power bursts or power drops.

It is not an area I am clear on, especially as Photomart do not sell them.

simon coates
24-08-2009, 01:52 PM
We use Generators with a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) and have no issues. BUT you must use the correct type (PM me for some links about this)

I had made a posting on this forum many months ago advocating the use of UPSs in conjunction with generators. As I see it, there are two good reasons for doing so. The first is that it will even out the power from the generator. The second advantage is that it will give you a few minutes grace when you hear the dreadful sound of silence, indicating that someone forgot to refuel the genny :roll:

Simon

Mike Weeks
24-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Some power terminology;

pure sine wave generators such as the Honda range produce voltage that is every bit as good and stable as domestic mains so do not need additional filtering.

Surge protection/mains filters can be simply put in place to stop spikes i.e. high voltages and such leads can be bought at places like B&Q but do not protect against under voltage.

Voltage Stabiliser provides a constant level voltage.

UPS - Uninterruptible Power Supply, designed to provide a window where equipment can be safely powered down or allow change over of power supplies. The output voltage is derived from the batteries and the input voltage is used to charge the batteries and hence a clean voltage will be obtained. The units also contain surge/spike protection.

Static Inverter - turns a DC voltage into an AC voltage

Of all of these the UPS offers the most advantages as it will not let the equipment die suddenly but if all you require is mains protection there is no need to go to that expense.

Mike

Paul Smith
24-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Also seen in conjunction with Gennies =

AVR - Automatic Voltage Regulation

most typically found on Kawaski units.

i run both a kawaski GA1400 (1200 continuous and 1400 peak). The A in the name tells you it has an AVR fitted and a Kipor 3500 which is pure sine wave

neither trailers nor gazebo solutions that I set up feature a UPS, and both should as I, and others forget the fuel esp at full on events, and despite a 12ltr tank on the Kipor, after about 12hrs it can run out :shock: :shock:

Stuart Morley
25-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Good explanation Mike,

Couple of other things:

Off Line UPS's will NOT work from a generator as the generator power is usually not clean enough for then to switch back to incoming power so they will only use the batteries until they are exhausted.

Online UPS's take the incoming power and charge the batteries. If the incoming power fluctuates then they are not that worried as all the incoming power is doing is charging the batteries and that is not a power sensitive issue.

Always try to over spec your generator as a) you WILL add other things to the load and b) It is better to run your generator at 50% load rather than 90%.

Some venues don't like petrol generators, this is because some people have a small fuel tank and have to refuel during the day. There have been reports of people refueling generators whilst they are running ! (You can guess the rest) This is why there may be a negative view of petrol generators. If you don't need to refuel then you could argue that the risk is very small as no refuelling would be needed.

Want to know what power requirements your equipment needs then use this
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... kets-cable (http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/socket-cw-wattage-current-meter/path/cable-reels-extension-leads-sockets-cable)
It will tell you exactly what power you are using.

I believe there is a table on our website with the most popular printers etc and the power requirements.

The other thing to look at which maybe be seen a a greener alternative is to use batteries and an inverter. I installed a full inverter / charger system with battery monitoring in our photobus (www.thephotobus.co.uk (http://www.thephotobus.co.uk)) and that works very well. It has incoming mains power (when available) which charges the batteries and a split charge relay so that you can charge from the lorry engine if needed.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards

Stuart

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk

Mike Weeks
25-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Unfortunately this has moved away from the Fuji printer but if all the power stuff were put together it would make a good information sheet.

Mike

john christopher
26-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Last week I was printing some back orders on my Copal DBP 1500, when I started getting what looked like CMYK barcodes running down the lefthand side of each print. It took me a hour, a call to Ken Passley and 12 wasted prints before I figured out that the ink-sheet was out of alignment. That maybe the problem. BTW: Did you manage to solve it?

andy scothern
26-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi John

I only have the problem with the stripes on the photo after their has been a bold color has been applied. I have a picture of a girls face and she has very red colored hair then as it prints her cheek it gets the stripes on the cheek. Then I did a school prom using a white background as the background got slighty dirty then on a few photos after it had printed the dress eg a bold brown or red then the dirty white background then got some strips on it but if I whitened the background to pure white in photoshop the problem stopped. I will sort out the photos and post then on here tomorrow for you to see.

Thanks Andy

andy scothern
27-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Hi Guys Here are two images with the stripes in them
This Image has the stripes on the cheeks and below the chin and shoulders
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3545/386 ... b656_b.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3545/3861308975_e84510b656_b.jpg)

This Image has the stripes around the feet of the girls
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3432/386 ... 30dc_b.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3432/3861309171_b5a55430dc_b.jpg)

Thanks Andy

john christopher
28-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Andy

When did you last clean both the head and the rollers. Sometimes when I get "dirty" prints I give the DBP 1500 the once over and the problem is usually solved. Otherwise it's a replacement head. :(

andy scothern
28-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Hi I have cleaned the rollers and the head but their has being no change it happens every time with the same images .To me it is like the head is not cooling fast enough for the color change in the print or it is printing to fast but their is no way of slowing it down, or it has a fault head. So then it is just cheaper to get a new printer.

Then that opens up another question if I am in the market for a new dye sub which one. After looking around I like the Olmec 1000 but my main worry is the support and how long the media would be around and the lack of Mac drivers. Buying another Fuji worries me due to poor support and slowly rising prices of media. So it only leaves another brand MITSUBISHI, but I am not rushing into any decision yet because I want to try on get to the bottom of this fault.

Thanks Andy

Mark Amies
29-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Andy,

Re the options on replacement printers, should it come to that.

The dreaded Olmec syndrome - the machine is being supported, and media supply is secure, so lets get that myth out the way ( again). The mac driver is not available, and I don't hold much hope of it happening , despite our best efforts ( the problem appears to be Shinko's attitude).

There is a bit more choice out there, you didn't mention Sony, and you didn't mention DNP or Citizen. DNP, and Sony have mac drivers ( the Sony is at a disadvantge maybe for you as it won't do 6x9, it does max 6x8), I don't know if Citizen's CW-01 has a mac driver - but I am sure Stuart at System Insight will let us know.

Yes, Mitsubishi is a constant, and I would suggest you look at CP9800DW.

However I think it would be best to explore all the options on your existing printer before doing anything else.

Mark Amies
29-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Andy,

Just opened up those pictures, and yes , I remember these, you sent them to me. We did have a discussion about them, and I got tme looked at by our technician, Iliyan.

The support you mention re Fuji, are you referring to Fuji themselves, or do you need more assistance from us at Photomart?

andy scothern
29-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Hi Mark
re the fuji support I called them and they just did not seem interested because I had not purchased the item new but I do want to get the printer fixed but I am going to try Cusack because they are copal suppliers and they seem to know they stuff. I know there are other brands out there but it is just after reading through the forum there is not many people talking or admitting to owning any brand other than Mitsi, which makes you think with the money climate as it is if something is not making money then how long will things be supported as regards media. But like I said I will try and get my fuji back to full health.

Thanks Andy

andy scothern
29-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi Mark
But I do like the Olmec OP1000 it does look a good option so I might come down to have a look at it in action, that is if the fuji is going to be to costly to fix.

Thanks Andy

john christopher
31-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Andy

I'm surprised with the response you've got from FujiFilm UK. I've just brought a Fuji ASK 1500, second hand via the FujiFilm Forum. The printer didn't come with any drivers and it was they who contacted me with a helping hand. You can get to the forum here:

http://www.fdisforum.co.uk/index.php

Or contact Greg Corbyn or Mark Solesbury direct at FujiFilm UK on 01234 572121 and mention my name. They are really cool dudes and I'm sure that they will be able to help you out. Keep the faith, you are not alone.

Mark Amies
01-09-2009, 06:28 AM
Like I said John, this forum you mention is for lab owners ( high street), and as such they are obviously looking to deal with the kiosk market- Fuji and Copal units are quite common printers for this purpose.

I would be interested to see what response Andy got if he made contact. Perhaps someone should invite these guys onto the trade section and they could keep Mr Jones from Mitsubishi company!

In all fairness to the other brands out there who have good solid printers, and as I have said numerous times to customers, there is other fruit in the basket apart from Mitsubishi.

Now don't anyone say anything about lemons! :?

john christopher
01-09-2009, 09:58 AM
You know something Mark that's a bloody good idea. I'll send out a invite and see what happens.

Otherwise I'm only telling it like it is. The men from Mount Fuji have treated me right and it would be wrong of me to say otherwise.

Mark Amies
01-09-2009, 10:04 AM
The men from Fuji are looking at the lab market John, which is what Minilabhelp is all about. I wonder if they know if you are an event guy, and not a lab owner?

john christopher
01-09-2009, 10:05 AM
BTW: FujiFilm UK did have prior knowledge of my status as a event photographer.

Mark Amies
01-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I am sure they did John, but it is a big set up, and the guys responding on the forum may not realise. As I said it would be good to see them showing an interest here.

andy scothern
02-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Hi

I have tried FujiFilm on that Number you gave me John but they are out of the office today so I will give then a call on Thursday to try and get their help with the problem.

Thanks for your help and info John.

Thank Andy

It is a shame more Fuji uses dont make them self known on the forum, also on all the other manufactures forum page just to show strenght in numbers.

andy scothern
03-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Hi Guys
Printer update just called Fuji about the problem and the said send it into us and the inital cost will be £70 plus vat but if it is the print head then that will be £700 for the part. But they did say that the print head only has a life of 20000 prints before it might need replacing I dont know how that compairs with other dye sub manufactures life of the head usage but to me that is rather a low number. But then I have had a reply from an email I sent to Cusack Photo who I mentioned in a earlier post and they say a new head is £299 inc vat and postage so what a difference. I have called Cusack photo and I an sending down some photos that have the stripes on and they will have a look and let me know but it might just need an adjustment becuse if it was the head it would do it on every print they say, but we will have to wait for them to have a look at the prints before we know better.

Fuji did point out that their is 2 new dye subs comming out so it might be better just to wait and get a new machine.

So Cusack 1 - FujiFilm 0 for help.

Thanks Andy

Mark Amies might know figures for the print life of heads.

:diff:

john christopher
04-09-2009, 01:21 PM
There is no way that you could have done and printed 20,000 prints given the limited time you have owned the machine. So for FUJI UK to then nail you for £700 really isn't nice. CUSACK have been dealing with FUJI/COPALS for ages and they know what they're talking about. It also seems that thyey will save you a truck load of money over FUJIFILM UK. A no brainer, really!

andy scothern
10-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Hi

Back again with an update on the printer issue I sent some prints to Cusack Photo and they have got back to me about what is causing the problem, and they say it is early signs of the thermal head giving up. So now this puts me in a situation where do I spend £450 on replacing the head or spend the money on a new dye sub. So at long last it is now going to put this post to bed.

Thanks Guys for all the advice it is a shame more Fuji ASK owners have not got in on the forum.

Thanks Andy

Mark Amies
11-09-2009, 06:18 AM
Andy,

I was just reviewing this thread, and I am somewht bemused. You were quoting at one point £700 for the thermal head , from Fuji, then £250 from Cusack, and in the last entry £450. There is a great deal of variation there.

I have to say that the assesment we at Photomart made did not indicate a thermal head problem, so if we were wrong , then I can only apologise. Usual indications of a thermal head problem are lines running down the entire length of the prints.

Have you commited to a new thermal head yet?, and if so are you intending to fit it yourself?

john christopher
12-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Andy

I'm really upset at the conclusion of this story because whatever NOW happens, you loose. What you now have to do now, is the maths. Do you stick with the devil you know, knowing that you've got enough work coming in to cover the cost of the repair or do you start all over again with a new printer? Any repair (from either Cusack or Fuji) would have to come with at least a six month warranty, while buying brand new will give you at least 12 months peace of mind, extended to two years on selected printers. All the while you have to keep an eye on your current bank balance.

andy scothern
28-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Hi
I have being looking at the printer again before I look at replacing it. I have got the lid off the printer and I have being watching it work and I think I have noticed what the fault might be, looking at the Ribbon and it has 4 sets of stripes on it which are where the stripes are on the print. So a question to you other ASK 2000 users is your media smooth or with 4 sets of stripes or not because if I remember the media I got when I bought the printer was smooth and clear looking and it printed perfect so it might be faulty media.

Thanks Andy

Mike Weeks
28-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Andy,

I am sure the dealer can get the media sent back to the manufacturer. if this is the answer then it would be good news - is the a relatively new roll of media?

Mike

andy scothern
28-09-2009, 10:29 PM
HI

the media was from system insight so I will be on the phone tomorrow ref the problem. It is only the third roll of media, one roll came with it and I bought at pack of two rolls from system insights.

Thanks Andy

Stuart Morley
29-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi

Back again with an update on the printer issue I sent some prints to Cusack Photo and they have got back to me about what is causing the problem, and they say it is early signs of the thermal head giving up. So now this puts me in a situation where do I spend £450 on replacing the head or spend the money on a new dye sub. So at long last it is now going to put this post to bed.

Thanks Guys for all the advice it is a shame more Fuji ASK owners have not got in on the forum.

Thanks Andy

Hi Andy

On the basis that I haven't seen a print, nor the media first hand but I have just received your email with photos of the media and I would doubt that it would be a head problem. When a head goes it NORMALLY looks like a thin white line on the print.

Questions that spring to mind.

- Does all the media you have look like this?
- Does the problem happen with all the Media you have?

Kind Regards

Stuart

andy scothern
29-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Hi Stuart

Thanks for returning my call. I am posting you some samples of the problem images. Their are about 10 or so of them which were all printed from two windows laptops using various profiles and two prints using a mac.

I will send you the ribbon after I get a new box delivered tomorrow and tested it to see if the problem is solved.

Thanks Andy

andy scothern
29-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Sorry forgot to answer your questions

Looking at all of the unused media on the roll it all looks like this.

The problem has only shown up with this box of media because the printer had a roll in it when I bought it and it was ok then.
But the problem only shows up on prints with a large bold colour.

Thanks Andy

Stuart Morley
29-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Sorry forgot to answer your questions

Looking at all of the unused media on the roll it all looks like this.

The problem has only shown up with this box of media because the printer had a roll in it when I bought it and it was ok then.
But the problem only shows up on prints with a large bold colour.

Thanks Andy

Do both rolls look the same?

Kind Regards

Stuart

andy scothern
29-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi
I have used one roll which has always printed with the fault and that has being thrown away and this roll has the fault as well with the printing.

Thanks Andy

andy scothern
30-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi Again
It looks like this problem has now fixed with the use of a new box of media.
The stripes have gone and pictures are perfect again so this post can now be put to an end.
Just a quick note the media ribbon has very fine ribs in it but if there are bigger bands only in certain parts beware it might cause problems on certain prints.

So thanks for all the help and advice.

Thanks Andy

Mike Weeks
30-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Andy,

great news, now get out there and sell those prints.

Mike

andy scothern
30-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi Mike
I have being using it anyway and most of the prints have worked fine, But I have a big job with a client called Debenhams(thank you Venture for this one) and I needed to get it sorted or I was going to have to get a replacement fast.
But the Fuji will be back working again and I can now get the viewing stations and your software working.
I cannot wait to see all the other at the meet.

Andy

02-11-2009, 12:52 PM
I just thought I would share with you my experience with a Fuji ASK2000 using their 6x8/9 media.
I had an issue with colour bands along the long edge it was consistent and on every print off several new batches of 6x8/9 media I put into it.
I contacted Fuji who informed me that the media had been changed and my printer needed to be upgraded (at their lab) to accommodate this.
I took it to them and got the work done and now all is well.

mark