Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Copal DPB4000/ Fuji ASK4000 dark print help needed [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Copal DPB4000/ Fuji ASK4000 dark print help needed

Gary Bailey
18-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have had a Copal DPB4000 printer for about 3 years now. It has only had 2 and a half rolls of media run through it from new, it has been hooked up to several computers and I am not happy with the quality of the pictures. I spoke to Cussack (when they were in business) and arranged to have it sent back to them, but I was too busy to arrange it, and it has sat unused. I am shooting a different market, and the customer are ordering more prints than CDs, so I want to get it up and running properly. It is well out of warranty, but only done 500 prints.

The issue that I am having is that, the prints have no detail in the shadow areas. I have profiled the screen and the printer with a colormunki, but I still have to alter the curves in PS to make the picture look horrific on the screen, just to get it to print anywhere near what it should be in real life. If the image is sent without trying to raise the detail in the shadows first, the picture is unusable. I can just about work around it for sports, but for portraits, anyone with dark hair looks like they are wearing a black hat, theres no detail in tuxedos, etc, etc. If I make such drastic adjustments to the portraits, other areas of the picture become affected, and it looks unnatural.

If I send the same image to my local lab for printing, they fire it through without any adjustments and it prints fine. The same if I fire it through to any other printer that we have - no adjustments, and excelent results. Just the Copal / Fuji printer, just the shadows.

Does anyone have any ideas to correct it, or contacts for it to be looked at by a trained engineer?

Thanks

Gary

Stuart Morley
19-11-2010, 08:08 AM
If you are getting a bronzing affect on the image (in the black areas) then I have had this issue with brand new units (Fuji ASK4000). This was a few years ago now however.

They had to go back to the manufacturer to be "adjusted"

I think it is a head pressure issue but not 100% sure.

Hope that helps

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

Mark Amies
19-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Gary, it sounds like a profiling issue, and maybe one that Colormunki couldn't sort out.

People on here have often recommended a company called pure profiles for a custome colour profile.

Whereabouts in the country are you by the way?