Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Copal DBP 1500 problem again [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Copal DBP 1500 problem again

john christopher
29-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Last night I did a small job in Kensington where I printed 6x9 prints with my Copal DBP 1500. I was nearly at the end of the session after taking a group pictures of some people from Marks and Sparks when without cause or reason the printer started spitting out prints with what can only be described as tramlines/barcodes for full block colour on the lower edge of each print. I'm usually really good at cleaning my kit and this has got me worried that the head is either going or has gone! Any suggestions?????

andy scothern
29-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Have you checked the media as it sound like my fuji ask2000. But I had the trouble from the start of the start of the media which had what is best described as ridges in 3 or 4 bands across the ribbon.

Andy

ian griffiths
29-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi John,

Did you check the file from the camera was OK? I have had blocks of colour along the length of the print but it has been files corrupted usually if the camera battery is getting low.

If you look and the file is corrupt re-copy from the card to eliminate corruption during import.

john christopher
06-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Quick Update!

Last night it happened again but worse. This time the ink ribbon kept breaking. Before the event and on-site, I had given the printer a good once over and it seemed to work with the first 20 prints (or so) coming out just perfect. On checking, both the ink ribbon and the paper were coming to the end of their roll. By my reckoning, there was at least 50 prints left. What I'm wondering now is, if this keeps happening, could Copal/Fuji have incorporated the concept (found in the newspaper industry) of a "slag end" into their media sets for the DBP/ASK 1500? With the recent price hike in media, I want to be able to suck out every drop of goodness out of my media before retiring it to the bin. :?:

john christopher
07-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Another Update:

Well it looks like my theory about the "slag end" is right. It's been both confirmed by the guys at CUSACK and PHOTOMART. Happy Days but not too good for the enviroment.

Mark Amies
08-12-2009, 07:04 AM
John- if you wanted to care for the enviroment , you would have to pack it all in!!

Seriously , yes it is bad, but unfortunately that is how it is, and there ain't much that can be done - other than having a big moan at the manufacturers.

john christopher
08-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Mark, you must REALLY hate my guts! Well stand in line cos the Dude and his woman ain't goin anywhere (except to hospital), anytime soon. Screw the environment!

john christopher
08-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Seriously though, I think the advent of digital photography in general and digital dye sub printing in particular has been nothing but good news for the enviroment. Me and Sharon were talking about this very subject this afternoon. Mark, I think you're maybe too young to remember the bad old daze, stuck in a Dark Room with little ventilation and loads of nasty chemicals but let me tell YOU the wastage I saw wasn't anything to write home about. It was terrible. I'm sure if we all got our act together, we as an industry could recycle at least 70% of the cosumerables that we use and currently throw away. Now what say YOU? :diff:

Mark Amies
09-12-2009, 09:03 AM
John , don't worry - I have seen wastage mate- lots and lots.

Having worked at several photo agencies with labs I have seen it. A feature set of photos mas duplictaed for UK and Worldwide distribution, then seeing the advent of digital production and the storage of 35mm dupes asa well as prints in vaious sizes - when a photo agency decides to shed dupe stock it is quite a sight to behold.

Bags and bags of waste.

Jeremy Nako
09-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Digressing but on the subject of waste...

One of my clients in a previous existence was a major electronics company. In their warehouse one day I spotted a pallet of 26" monitors. Now we're talking 15 years ago.. 19" monitors were only just coming onto the market.

Apparently the monitors were destined for Heathrow air traffic control. They cost £6,500 each and the batch of 20 came with it's own engineer. However they arrived too late and the order was cancelled, so the monitors were being scrapped as they couldn't be release to the market.

Needless to say, we must have been the first company in the UK to have 26" monitors on every staff members desk !

However, they generated soooo much heat that it cost me £4k to put air con in !

Mark Amies
09-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Oh I forgot - when they closed down the labs , most of it went in the skip. Some bits took longer to find their way in - especailly when no one was buying.

I do seem to recall that 3 Lacie Monitors got skipped too when they upgraded. Tragic.

Mind you I had been scrapped too before that!! :lol:

john christopher
09-12-2009, 04:31 PM
It's nothing short of immoral what is allowed to go to waste, when there are people in the world who are starving for a half decent education for want of a cheap PC and a Monitor. When will we ever learn? :x