The Event Photographer Society
Last visit was: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:10 pm
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:10 pm

The Event Photographer Society Chat Room - To Enter Click Here

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Another DNP recruit 

Tel: 01902 844883
Post Another DNP recruit
Following the Coventry meet last week and ideas from Mike and others about advertising, photo booth opportunities etc using the low cost 6x4 prints from a DNP DS40 etc we finally decided to invest in one. A call to Mark Amies at Photomart at 4pm on the Thursday resulted in a printer, media etc being on our doorstep at 9.40am the next morning. What fantastic service.
I think our Citizen will now be consigned to use as a back up printer (once I have used some more of the media I have in stock!) and my arms and back will start to feel the benefit.
I also found a great post on Trudys blog about building a flight case from a 19" 4U rack case. Nice one Trudy (or is that Simon..??)
Print quality from the DNP seems to match the Citizen (which I have always been happy with). I've just got to get used to the slightly more complex media loading on the DNP - which I had off pat for the Citizen - even in dark noisy room!

info@codsallphotographic.com
01902 844883
07502 028294

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:19 pm WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tel: 07951 926304
My Gallery: Please Look
Post Re: Another DNP recruit
Chris,

a trick that John Wright showed me is that instead of just changing the paper you can lift out the paper carriage and manually load to the correct point that you would hear the noise. I have sent comments back to DNP that maybe a firmware mod would allow a flashing light along with the sound when loading.

Tuesday nights chat will look at the 11p marketing solution.

Mike

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:26 pm WWW

chris nutt wrote:
Following the Coventry meet last week and ideas from Mike and others about advertising, photo booth opportunities etc using the low cost 6x4 prints from a DNP DS40 etc we finally decided to invest in one. A call to Mark Amies at Photomart at 4pm on the Thursday resulted in a printer, media etc being on our doorstep at 9.40am the next morning. What fantastic service.
I think our Citizen will now be consigned to use as a back up printer (once I have used some more of the media I have in stock!) and my arms and back will start to feel the benefit.
I also found a great post on Trudys blog about building a flight case from a 19" 4U rack case. Nice one Trudy (or is that Simon..??)
Print quality from the DNP seems to match the Citizen (which I have always been happy with). I've just got to get used to the slightly more complex media loading on the DNP - which I had off pat for the Citizen - even in dark noisy room!

Chris,

If you want to offload some Citizen media let me know...

Phil

Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:49 pm WWW

Chris

You will find that the colour profile of the DNP's (straight out of the box) will be VERY close to that of the Citizen. I've used the two printers side by side and I was hard pushed to tell the difference. The ONLY bad thing about the Citizen is the cost of the media, which could never be described as cheap.This is rich coming from me because my backup printer is the Copal DBP 1500! My advice, cling onto the Citizen as if your life depended on it. You might not know it yet but you've got the perfect combination.

Mike, I second your suggestion about the firmware upgrade for the DNP. I'm sure the boys abd girls at PM will be spreading the word.

John

AKA: The Dark Dude

Chris: Welcome to the club.

"Anger......These are your emotions acting without the benefit of intellect." Passenger 57

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:14 am WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

John,
this is something I sent this weekend so dont expect an instant answer and then it would take time to develop if possible.

Mike

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:15 am WWW
Affiliate Member
Affiliate Member

Tel: 07595 936470
Quote:

Thanks Chris... as you suspected it had nothing to do with me, Simon sorts all of that side of things.

We stayed over on the Tuesday night all loaded up from the days job and ready for the next day. I suspect that had we had any other printer than the DNP we wouldn't have been able to take it up to the room for both security reasons and the risk of the frost the next day. With so many steps and stairs to contend with it would have been a logistical nightmare if we had still got our old mitsi, as we must have had the furthest away room from the car park!!!

Regarding the loading issue, tbh I've never found it a big problem even if you can't hear the beeps (I'm virtually deaf in my left ear) you can still 'feel' when its loaded correctly so although the additional light indication could be useful, not sure it would make any real difference.

http://www.facebook.com/trudy.traffordphotography

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:30 am WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

I feel a bit stupid because I have spoken to Iliyan who is the trained DNP engineer at Photomart and he pointed out then when there is no paper present the third light down is an orange light that warns of the paper status i.e. on when there is a problem and when you load the paper correctly the machine beeps and importantly the orange light goes out - you learn something new each day, so the feature already exists.

Mike

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:58 pm WWW

Tel: 01329-835500
Trudy Trafford wrote:
I suspect that had we had any other printer than the DNP we wouldn't have been able to take it up to the room for both security reasons and the risk of the frost the next day. With so many steps and stairs to contend with it would have been a logistical nightmare if we had still got our old mitsi, as we must have had the furthest away room from the car park!!!

Trudy

For the record:
DNP DS-40 weighs. 14kg
Mitsi CPD-70DW weighs 12 kg
HiTi P510S weights in at 13.6kg (Photomart's website strangely shows it incorrectly at 18kg)

So they are all about the same weight.

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk

Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:11 pm WWW
Affiliate Member
Affiliate Member

Tel: 07595 936470
Stuart,

Apologies perhaps I should have Phrased that better to say, my previous experience of the mitsi we had........

http://www.facebook.com/trudy.traffordphotography

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:16 pm WWW

Mike Weeks wrote:
I feel a bit stupid because I have spoken to Iliyan who is the trained DNP engineer at Photomart and he pointed out then when there is no paper present the third light down is an orange light that warns of the paper status i.e. on when there is a problem and when you load the paper correctly the machine beeps and importantly the orange light goes out - you learn something new each day, so the feature already exists.

Mike

Well strike me down with a feather, I didn't see that coming. Sorry Lliyan, please don't kill me the next time I step into Photomart......I like my arms and legs exactly where they are.

:omy: :omy:

John

AKA: The Dark Dude.

"Anger......These are your emotions acting without the benefit of intellect." Passenger 57

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:19 pm WWW
 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next