Power Supply Query - DS80/CP3800/etc 
Affiliate Member
Affiliate Member

Tel: 0208 5276006
Post Power Supply Query - DS80/CP3800/etc
As this came up on this thread-

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=5334

Mark,

Can you answer the question regarding power supplies?

Ian Griffiths
http://www.event-photos.co.uk

I can confirm that he power supply for the DNP DS80 , the Mitsubishi CP3800 and the Citizen machine ( which is using Mitsubihsi branded media ) is the same.

'Strike Hard, Strike Sure'

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:38 pm WWW

Tel: 07957216682
Post Re: Power Supply Query - DS80/CP3800/etc
I did have a slight issue, when I first got the Dye-sub, did have the odd problem of it powering up at the time we were running our equipment on 2.2 genie, up it to 3.6... problem gone.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:02 pm WWW

Tel: 0800 5300175
My Gallery: Please Look
Thank you Mark.

Edited upon reflection, and Mod 4's begging! (Only joking Mod!)

Ian Griffiths

"Be professional, Do it right"

Trade Relations:

I / Event-Photos are sponsored by Mitsubishi Electric and Darkroom Software. I also have a tenuous link with Canon.

Last edited by ian griffiths on Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:26 pm WWW
Affiliate Member
Affiliate Member

Just to clarify for those who are less technically aware. Having the same power supply does not mean that the operating characteristics will be the same. The mean current draw and peak current draw from the power supply may be different for the different manufacturers depending on what is connected to the power supply. This can mean that the power supply is operating closer to its maximum rating or that the unit may be more susceptible to output variance when the input voltage is lowered or spiked.

I had a couple of glitches on a site which I know has 'dirty' mains. Fitting one of these
http://www.maplin.co.uk/2m-2-way-iec-su ... ead-256358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
to the two printers solved the problem.

A cheap UPS would also solve the problem if the mains is spiking or dropping. The run time from the UPS is not important as you are not trying to power the printers for extended operation you are just using the UPS to ensure a clean and stable mains supply. If I was running from a generator I would at least have the above power lead and would probably connect via UPS as a matter of course.

Other than that one site I have had no issues at all with the DNP's and this one issue was not the DNP but the site mains supply.

John

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:32 pm WWW
Affiliate Member
Affiliate Member

I was going to mention this issue , we are talking about generators here , not the printers. I cannot comment on generators.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:05 pm WWW

This seems to be a generator / initial power supply issue.
I only use a 1KVA pure sine wave generator and the printer starts up no problem.
However I run it through a UPS and if I try and start it up through the battery back up it struggles and the UPS gives me warnings of overload.
If I just use it through the power surge only, then no probs.
I know of one other who uses a 3KVA generator and the DNP will not fire up unless nothing else is connected. Once connected and fired up, no problems at all. He can then connect 1 or 2 more printers one at a time.
So it would seem an initially, extra power is required to boot it up (generator only ??)

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Tel: 0800 5300175
My Gallery: Please Look
I've always taken a "sledghammer" approach to generators due to their vagaries and inconsistent power supply, a beefy engine and powerful generator.

At some events we can be running up to 4 sales stations each with two printers attached plus the server and a proof printer add to this a few lights, phone chargers and other devices all from one SE3200 generator, never misses a beat, unless the kettle go's on!

I was told by several generator manufacturers that due to the equipment we use it is best to have a unit that when maximum demand occurs the engine note shouldn't change, everytime you hear the engine change note the output of the generator unit changes, slows down, power drops, speeds up, power increases. I've never put a meter on the output to see what the difference is?

This is the model that I recommend to guys starting up with us, there must be 25+ of them amongst us and not had any problems. http://www.stephill-generators.co.uk/products/4-se3400

Last year I was talking to the candy floss guy at a tournament, I had noticed he'd changed from a unit similar to that I use (can't remember the make but it looked very similar) to a thumping great diesel unit, his reason was that using the smaller unit had damaged the candyfloss machines workings with the engine note slowing right down and then shooting up, since changing to a machine that could easily cope with the demand his machine had run flawlessly. He explained the changing current across the motor had pitted and burned away the contacts where the brushes run.

Ian Griffiths

"Be professional, Do it right"

Trade Relations:

I / Event-Photos are sponsored by Mitsubishi Electric and Darkroom Software. I also have a tenuous link with Canon.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:00 am WWW
Affiliate Member
Affiliate Member

May I make a suggestion here? Why don't we have a proper evaluation done on all suitable genrators, and then a suggestion of all decent and co-operative sellers of generators?

All above board, entry to all. ;-)

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:38 am WWW

Tel: 01329-835500
Mark,

Do we really need a full comparison done? Who will do it? Who will vet the suppliers? Seems like a lot of work for someone.

Why not just have a thread "What generator do you use and what are your experiences"

A few simple rules about generators

1) Petrol, LPG or Diesel (Personal choice)
1a) Tank size. A large fuel tank means you may not have to fill it during the day.
2) Capacity - depends what you want to use with it. One printer or multiple viewing stations? I would always use once twice the size of the actual power needed. So if you have a 1kva requirement then buy a 2kva and upwards.
3) Make - Unbranded - Honda - again personal choice / budget
4) Recommendation from others.

I would always advise use of a UPS (yes we do sell them) but we also use them ourselves so that says something. Rating again and type is important as well.

Details of generators (which we don't sell) and ups's on our website.
http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/web/articles/using-a-generator.html

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:10 am WWW
Affiliate Member
Affiliate Member

Suggestion to Mike here- can we split this into another section , if it is a 'runner' ?

I don't think it is such an unreasonable suggestion Stuart, honestly. However , as we do not sell generatoirs here and I am not an event photograpaher, so perhaps other members might like to give thier view/input.

This is what a society is all about - ideas, suggestions, openess, etc. Isn't it?

:diff: :pce:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:24 am WWW
 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next