The Event Photographer Society
Last visit was: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:38 pm
It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:38 pm

The Event Photographer Society Chat Room - To Enter Click Here

[ 5 posts ] 
730PS Review 

Post 730PS Review
Having read Mikes request for printer reviews, and having used the 730 printers for approx four years I hope that this may come in useful to someone.

The first thing that struck me was the weight - or lack of it compared with other dyesubs which I think is a bonus although of course this to some degree has been at the expense of build quality, although I transport mine in a flight case and so this hasnt been an issue.

One other design comment is that the lack of a flat top has occasionally been an issue, I can rest my laptop on the top of my other printers when space is an issue but this isnt possible with the Hi-Ti.

Set up is simple and if you choose the "print from card" option you dont even need to do this, but be aware that this isnt as quick as printing from a computer.

"isnt as quick" (to say it again) is a charge often leveled at these printers and if working with one printer and/or large files then they are not as fast as other makes or the latest printers. But is speed the be all and end all?

I use two printers and print through Photoshop which has everything automated through the hotkeys, the only bit done manually is the crop. Even the print menu has been keyed, so between them the two printers produce a 7x5 print every 28 seconds which is about the same speed that they can be foldered and sold. 8x6 prints appear approx every 39 seconds.

Media needs changing after every thirty prints, but is quicker and easier than my roll fed Mits, and I like the way that the because the media is flat there is no curl to the prints. However, you did need to take more to an event than you would a roll fed machine that gives over 200 prints per roll.

These machines are often called "starter machines" and to some degree they are, but you need to assess that realistically against your business and what you do. If 8x6 is your maximum print size and your are doing say, on average, 75 prints per job then do not dismiss them because they are half the price of other brands, or arent as fast.

Thu May 07, 2009 8:13 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tel: 07951 926304
My Gallery: Please Look
Post Re: 730PS Review
Gary,

many thanks. I have made it sticky so that it should be easy for people to find.

Mike

Thu May 07, 2009 8:17 am WWW

Gary

I've said this once and I'll say this again, speed isn't everything!

Steph

"Anger......These are your emotions acting without the benefit of intellect." Passenger 57

Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:45 pm WWW
Affiliate Member
Affiliate Member

Tel: 0208 5276006
It helps if you have a big queue though John , eh?

'Strike Hard, Strike Sure'

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:02 am WWW
 [ 5 posts ]