The Event Photographer Society Chat Room - To Enter Click Here

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Progressing the site 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tel: 07951 926304
My Gallery: Please Look
Post Progressing the site
There are a number of stages that the site will need to go through.

1. Publishing the site - with the software being used it is very easy to add further articles and information, so please submit anything you feel may be of use.

2. Build the membership - this site is for event photographers, so if you know any invite them to join.

3. The addition of Photographer Listings - at present everything is being done by 1 person and I will work through everything as quickly as I can.

4. Build trade relationships - as the site hopefully becomes more widely used it will be more attractive to sponsors and it is that sponsorship that will keep this as a free resource for event photographers.

5. Event photographers to decide what event photographers want - hopefully at some stage this will too big for me to run as it is being run at present and it will need input and help from other event photographers.

6. The only way all of this will be achieved is by talking and working together, I have put the tools in place to do the talking but it needs all of us to do the work.

I have not done this to take charge of event photography, I don't think that would ever be possible anyway but I do think that we need to take charge of our profession and stop those that wish to exploit us.

How long have I been involved in Event Photography? I did my first event in 1981 when I had to process B&W film and get the prints back on the night - there have obviously been some big changes since then.

Who am I? My name is Mike Weeks, I do not have all the answers, in fact I probably have just as many questions as the next photographer. If you have got this far then hopefully you want to take it further.
:diff:

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:31 pm WWW

Tel: 07980954070
Post Re: Progressing the site
Mike,
Full support. What help you need just ask I am sure between us we can help, None of us has too much spare time on our hands but am sure we will all do what we can to promote what we do in a professional manner.

ian

Social & Event Photography
ian@fotologic.co.uk

http://www.fotologic.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:14 am WWW

Tel: 07774 735538
Mike

What you have created here is agreat resource, ad I, as I have said before, am only to happy to pitch in to ease the load for you.

I constantly refer people to the site, other eventers and potential clients alike, plus I have the logo and link on my own site

Let's keep on growing, but lets retain the professional approach that we want to give out to clients and the camaradarie between us all

Proms, Balls and Charity functions

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:59 am

Tel: 07875 069245
Anyone had any contact from these people? they were looking for a photographer and I sent him a link to this site

www.horsepower-photography.com

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:50 am WWW

Tel: 07774 735538
Ian Calderhead wrote:
Anyone had any contact from these people? they were looking for a photographer and I sent him a link to this site

http://www.horsepower-photography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They also had adverts for sales assistants on the photographers.co.uk site, they were asking for people to contact them

Proms, Balls and Charity functions

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:09 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have sent this in a newsletter but also feel it should be here for all to read.

Mike

A brief history of the Event photographer Society

About 3 years ago I started another site with the intention of dividing the country down into areas and allowing a photographer to have one area. I came across such things as the Postcode search and realised how this could be usefully used on the site. There were however a number of issues, such as it limited how many photographers you could have.

Over the time of running that site I was involved in a number of threads about why there was no dedicated forum/society for event photographers. One of the main contributors to these threads was a man called Mark Amies but there were other noted contributors such as Gary Evans. There was nothing else there and I had 3 choices, let somebody else do it, adapt the previous site, or start something new.

My reasons for starting the site were prompted by much of the misinformation that promised huge financial rewards with no concern paid to the work that was required. To my mind there was a need for independent advice, the type that you can only get from a fellow professional already doing the same type of work. Most of the information required to do the work was already in the public domain but it was so widely spread as to make it difficult to piece together. Instead of using traditional publication methods and ways of disseminating them it was my idea that the forum was the member’s area of the Society – let us use modern tools to support modern ways of working.

I set a target of 6-12 months to see if I could attract a membership that would make it a site that was worth maintaining – this was the end of January 2009. Within the first 3 or 4 months I realised that the site was moving far faster than I had expected and therefore decided to incorporate it into a not for profit company with the following aims;

The object(s) of the company which we will be inserted into the Memorandum of Association is as follows;

To develop and promote the professional approach to Event Photography. This will be achieved through the development of guidelines, training and assessment of members as well as through member interaction. The Event Photographer Society will act as a central forum through which event photographers can further their chosen career. "Event Photography" is an all-encompassing term that is generally used to refer to situations where the photographer takes photographs at an event (including, but not limited to sports, activities or social gatherings) from which they will derive financial reward typically through either a commission or through on-site printing.

By becoming a company I also realised that there would become a time that membership would potentially have to be paid for. Initially there was the opportunity for a free listing and if you look at many other sites they are charging £30-£40 a year just for that. I maintained this free policy for the first 13 months but had already introduced the postcode search which was charged at £15 per year. There are about 350 postcode searches carried out each month and between 500-550 visits to photographer’s sites via the drop down listings. So if I was out to make a profit the £40 affiliate charge would just be for this but as said the profit is to be used to further the aims of the EPS.

There is definitely a hardcore membership of forum users but I regularly receive emails from people that have and are finding the forum to be a great resource but are wary of posting because they feel they lack in knowledge compared to some of the more regular posters. There is a big difference between the amount of users that post and those that just visit. The new software will enable me to better track such matters and then use this portray an accurate picture to any potential sponsors/advertisers.

I think that it is important that there is a free membership maintained to help those starting out, one recent comment along the lines of ‘it has helped me avoid spending money I did not need to and therefore means I will be making profit sooner’ shows the true value that the site can give. Personally I feel that it is better that anybody can get a sense of how they can become more professional in their approach to event photography, after all it reflects on us all. Members that choose not to post will not be shed, what will happen is that their status will change from Basic Member to Guest Member and they can obtain free Basic membership just by adding a further 3 months from their control panel.

Because I am not pocketing the difference between what it costs to operate the site and what I think is reasonable value (not just me I have spoke to a number of photographers and they agree with it) it will allow us to develop and further the aims of the Society. The benefits should be directed back at those that are paying which is why in the Affiliate area Pete Thorp is working at putting together a promotional panel of work which long term may help attract those involved some work. Instead of dictating where the balance of the funds should be going I would rather listen to where the Affiliate members feel it should be targeted and make decisions based on that.

Due to the software being used there are issues about privacy of information and I can not just open up the site and allow just anybody to take over and do some of the tasks. I have received a number of offers of help and the task for the next couple of months is to see how and who I can best utilise to the best advantage of the Society. There are other more onerous tasks that due to the membership fees I will be able to pay people to do the work. I feel that this takes us a stage further but because I do not want the EPS to be mistaken for the SWPP model of working I will be looking at how we can introduce a Council to decide on direction and future of the Society, this will allow us to separate the business side of the site out from some of the aims. This will allow me and others to concentrate on building and enhancing the reputation of the EPS and its promotion to other photographers but more importantly clients.

One of the major points is that if I had of known where the EPS would be today I would probably have done a lot of things very differently but as it is I will have to adapt and modify to maintain what the membership wants, but the membership has to understand that this requires time and money. One proposed solution (by a number of members) is to allow a sector of the trade to finance the forum/society, whilst there is merit in this it has the potential negative of curtailing the broad spectrum of inclusiveness that the site currently has. I never came at the site from a business angle as that is not my background, but I am learning fast.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:07 am WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well they definitely joined the site ;-)

Mike

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:43 pm WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guys,

I have set up a small survey that I would appreciate if you could take which should help market the EPS to Sponsors, just follow this link
http://www.eventphotographersociety.co. ... surveypro/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:07 pm WWW
 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next