Thread: Kodak 9810 dye sub printer banding.

Kodak 9810 dye sub printer banding.

I am having trouble with a Kodak 9810. When I print 8"x12"prints with a large area of white in the background there are bands appearing along the line of print. I have had the machine serviced by Kodak and still the problem persists. I have also been advised to try a new paper roll which has been released but no one seems to know much about. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Kodak 9810 dye sub printer banding.

Hi Andrew,

I can't help I'm afraid but you may have a better response if filed under Kodak printers rather than Mitsubishi.....

Regards,

Stuart

Thanks for the reply Stuart. Once I find out more I will share my information as it could help others. I will try a different paper.

Founder

Having followed a recent thread, how is the machine being powered?

Mike

Hi Andrew,

Before reading on please note I have not used the model you have.

A few things to check and therfore eliminate.

1) Make sure your USB cable is not wrapped around a main cable. Mains cables give off a 'field' that can interferre with electronics.

2) Make sure the printer is not located next to a strong magnetic field such a unshielded speakers.

3) Are you operating on the mains or from a generator? I have never seen issues with running off a genny but I guess the potential exists for the power supply to be unhappy with a square sine wave.

4) Does the paper feed smoothly or is it 'jerky' could be indication of a clutch failing.

Just to add here, that I had spoken to Andrew before he made the posting, and that he was advised by Kodak to use a print media that normally goes into this printer-

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/business ... ndex.jhtml

Now this printer goes into a retail dry lab solution called Apex, and as such the printer is not available as a standalone. That was what I was told, when I enquired further.

I am endeavouring to find out from Kodak as to why the other print media is being suggested, as they have themselves said it is not any different in thickness.

When I do get information, I will let you know. That is unless anyone else is enlightened?

Thanks to everyone who has given advice on this topic it has been a great help.

Kodak have bent over backwards to help me with this problem and I must say I was very impressed by their efficiency and very helpful attitude.

I posted the printer to their service department and it was returned in a matter of a few days which meant I was able to use the machine at a school photo fund raiser with great success.

All my clients were delighted with the quality of the prints from the serviced 9810 and as usual the 6850 model too.

The banding has been eliminated even from high key prints with lots of white areas which was the problem initially.

Kodak have changed the paper roll specifications for my machine as follows;

Kodak Photo Print Kit 8800L for 8x12 prints, 250 of, cat no.805 0635.

Hope this helps someone with similar problems with the 9810.

Looking forward to next event.