Thread: power for laptop & printer

Smile power for laptop & printer

Hi.
    wanting to power a laptop, monitor & citizen printer on out-door events, what do I need to power these, new to this part of events & need to keep eye on the cost. thanks geoff

Re: power for laptop & printer

either....

Generator and UPS (you will need the correct type of ups)
    Advantages: Runs as long as it has fuel in it (or you can refill of course)
    Disadvantages: Noise

or

Battery and inverter (inverter takes 12V and creates 240v mains)
    Advantages: Quiet and Safer (No Fuel), Can be seen to be greener!
    Disadvantages: Only lasts a certain amount of time before needing to be recharged although you can have more more / bigger batteries.
    Batteries can be heavy.

Depends on how long you need to power the equipment for and how important the above are to you.

Stu
    www.systeminsight.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Morley View Post
    either....

Generator and UPS (you will need the correct type of ups)
    Advantages: Runs as long as it has fuel in it (or you can refill of course)
    Disadvantages: Noise

or

Battery and inverter (inverter takes 12V and creates 240v mains)
    Advantages: Quiet and Safer (No Fuel), Can be seen to be greener!
    Disadvantages: Only lasts a certain amount of time before needing to be recharged although you can have more more / bigger batteries.
    Batteries can be heavy.

Depends on how long you need to power the equipment for and how important the above are to you.

Stu
    www.systeminsight.co.uk

Hi Stuart.
    Diesel generators are expensive plus the ups as well. I would need the power for 6/9 hrs at the moment, for a laptop, monitor, *citizen printer & maybe 1 flash ( main 2 flash their own * * batt) *it will be for children fun days *for 5 wks - 1 day *each wk. *Can you use red diesel in the generation & legal, if you are working with a laptop ( battery fully charged) do you need a ups.*

*Battery & inverter, *I would get 2 100amps diesel batteries contented to the alternator or 3 batt, fully charged the night before just for August **
    As this summer is half way through
    *Early next year I would look at what would be the best for me.
    Thank you Geoff

Founder

I use a Honda EU20i and it is one of the quietest generators, however not noiseless. Typically get 6-8 hours on a tankful which is 3.5 or 4 litres, of course you can refuel. UPS can be bought second hand and you might get 20-30 minutes just running a laptop and monitor (most of the time you will not need the printer).

My understanding is that such use would not qualify you to use red fuel

For the amount of power you require the EU10i would suffice and it can be run off of LPG if it has been converted which could give 30-40 hours running time from a decent sized bottle.

The real expert on powering by battery is John Wright.

Mike

Thank you Mike, will try to get in touch with John, I will look into it all before I go for any further.

Thank you Mike, will try to get in touch with John, I will look into it all before I go for any further.

I would agree with Mike the Honda is a good piece of kit. Never used one but have lots of Honda equipment that is superb.

I would stay away from Diesel generators as they are heavy and expensive and usually only used for much larger loads.

The battery solution would be ideal and you wouldn't need a UPS. You would need to be able to charge the batteries each night though.

Battery solutions are quite simple and you need a Charger / Inverter. As the name suggests it does both roles.

I installed a full system on our Photobus and the batteries can even be charged from the vehicle itself. I did the whole install myself and got it signed of by a qualified electrician. The unit is a 2200 watt unit and runs from 2 x 12v 50kg batteries (the lorry is 24v DC). I can get 2-4 printers, 8 screens and a few other bits a pieces including the fridge (for the cold lemonade of course). It will run all day on a full charge but if needed just start the lorry and it gets charged from the lorry itself. I also added a smart battery gauge which will tell you what run time you have left, it even takes into account the ages of the batteries!

I also added in the ability to start the lorry from the 2x12V batteries in case the lorry batteries went flat !

Other advantages are no fuel, no noise etc although maybe a more expensive than the generator route.

You wouldn't need a UPS for the laptop but I would recommend it for the printer as they are very sensitive to correct power. Make sure you get the correct type of UPS though...

There is a page on our website about them. http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/web/a...-overview.html

There is a company in Southampton called Barden http://www.barden-uk.com/ who I purchased all my stuff from. Very knowledgeable guys. A call to John would also be a good idea as Mike mentions.

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart Morley For This Useful Post:

Amanda Wigmore (29-07-2014)

Hi Stuart.
    Sorry only now replying. I have been in touch with john over the batteries, this is the way I am going, I have started to get the parts I need, I am waiting to get in touch with a electrician & finish the set up.
    Best wishes to everybody for your input. Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by geoffphoto View Post
    Hi Stuart.
    Sorry only now replying. I have been in touch with john over the batteries, this is the way I am going, I have started to get the parts I need, I am waiting to get in touch with a electrician & finish the set up.
    Best wishes to everybody for your input. Geoff
    Your more than welcome. Good luck with it all.

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk