Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dye Subs.

Dye Subs.

1. Little chance, I know, but if anyone has 9x6 media for the Olmec 1000 (PCB converted type only), I'm interested. Just to extend the life of my printers a bit!

2. Failing that, what does everyone recommend as a replacement - preferably printing 9x6, but 8x6 would also be OK.

Re: Dye Subs.

Changed my OP1000s for Mitsubishi DW70 machines. Half the weight, brilliant prints straight out of the box AND you don't have to deal with Photomart. Best of both worlds.

Should have mentioned, Mitsubishi sell 8" by 6" and 9" by 6" media and you can print 8x6 with the 9x6 media if you need to.

Founder
    Some people just will not accept facts.

DNP can print 9x6 and 8x6 from same media but makes no sense and of corse Citizen do so as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Weeks View Post
    Some people just will not accept facts.

DNP can print 9x6 and 8x6 from same media but makes no sense and of corse Citizen do so as well.
    Not accept what facts....?

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Morley View Post
    Not accept what facts....?

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk
    Yes, what facts?

Founder

Simple facts are that your printer was at end of life Bill but all we have had is bleating about it. Sorry but get over it and stop the continual negative comments, what was it that Stuart said about nest of vipers? Maybe there are still a couple wriggling and we do not need that here.

Mike

PM sent with things I don't want to air on the forum.

"....Your printer was at end of life Bill..." What? They had been lightly used and were working perfectly. The reason I changed them was lack of / uncertainty re. media, nothing else. Yes, anything will reach the end of it's life if you can't get the stuff to make it work, but I don't think that's something I could have anticipated. Those printers wouls have taken me through to retirement. As it is I've had to spend 2,000 to carry on for another couple of years.

Founder

End of life does not mean no longer serviceable, it means no longer supported, media not available etc. - try finding media for a HiTi 710, a Mitsubishi 8000, Kodak printers or a number of Sonys - yes they all come to an end at some point. We live in an age of disposable technology. My printers are now about 4 years old which means for me that I am now on bonus time.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Allon_Camera Angles View Post
    PM sent with things I don't want to air on the forum.

"....Your printer was at end of life Bill..." What? They had been lightly used and were working perfectly. The reason I changed them was lack of / uncertainty re. media, nothing else. Yes, anything will reach the end of it's life if you can't get the stuff to make it work, but I don't think that's something I could have anticipated. Those printers wouls have taken me through to retirement. As it is I've had to spend 2,000 to carry on for another couple of years.

You're right Bill. 4 years is a short time in this industry (see below). However you bought a machine (knowingly or not), that the manufacturer had discontinued three months (due to them pulling out of the market) so media would likely be an issue in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Weeks View Post
    End of life does not mean no longer serviceable, it means no longer supported, media not available etc. - try finding media for a HiTi 710, a Mitsubishi 8000, Kodak printers or a number of Sonys - yes they all come to an end at some point. We live in an age of disposable technology. My printers are now about 4 years old which means for me that I am now on bonus time.

Mike
    Media for a HiTi 710 went end of life early due to the Shinko problem. The 730PS media is just going end of life now (available for 9 years), HiTi 600 series media is still available (11-12 years), Mitsubishi CP8000 had media for 10+ years and it is still available if demand is there, it's just not bought into the UK any more as demand has dropped.

Kodak Media was available on 6850's for 10+ years and is still available in the USA as many theme parks use them. It's just that as there is only one reseller in the UK this maybe the issue. Sony pulled out of the market and media was available when DNP took it over and maybe they decided to cut the production to move customers over to their own printers. This seemed strange as at the time there where a lot of Sony users around the world although the Tsunami maybe had an impact here

Manufacturers rarely stop producing media is demand is there, which means if you have a mainstream machine this guarantees media supply. If you buy a machine where the company has pulled out of the market like ICI them you are reliant on others to supply media which isn't ideal.

The OP1000's had issues with media from the moment they were purchased (we all know the story of the letter from ICI advising they were pulling out of the market). Four years is a short time for media to be available in the industry. Some even had to be upgraded to take new media of course.

ICI where never a major player, look at Mitsubishi and you will see media available for 10+ years. The facts speaks for themselves. HiTi are the same, which the exception of the P710/Shinko problem where customers where offered other machines at a vast discount as a trade in by us at System Insight.

You only have to look at how many CP9550's there are out there in the field and media is readily available, these printers must be 6-9 years old now.

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk
    Last edited by Stuart Morley; 25-05-2014 at 07:53 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast