Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dye Subs.

Re: Dye Subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Weeks View Post
    Simple facts are that your printer was at end of life Bill but all we have had is bleating about it. Sorry but get over it and stop the continual negative comments, what was it that Stuart said about nest of vipers? Maybe there are still a couple wriggling and we do not need that here.

Mike
    I don't see any bleatings....

Mike, The nest of vipers was a description of your forum (a few years back). Inferring that Bill is part of this just goes to show that it hasn't gone away.

Bill IMHO is not part of any nest of vipers at all, he his a member that contributes and has just posted his thoughts and comments. I cannot see what he has said or done to deserve this label.

A word of advice...If you are trying to build a membership then it usually isn't a great idea to refer to them as a viper

It also reflects poorly on you IMHO and I would think it would cause people to lose interest in the EPS (why would you stay a member after a comment like that) but it also shows other members how you operate the forum.

This is such simple stuff and it's such a shame.

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk

Smile Re: Dye Subs.

To get back on topic I have an unopened box of Shinko 9x6 media that I would be happy to sell for what I paid at Photomart.
    My Op1000 has had the software upgrade but not PCB converted or is it the same.
    I also have 3 unopened boxes of Shinko 6x4 for an Op1000 if anyone is interested.

If anyone can confirm that software upgrade and pcb converted are one and the same, I'll take the box of 9x6 media.

Just spoken to Photomart - now even more confused!

1. It seems that the software upgrade and PCB conversion are 2 different things - no confusion there.
    2. However, the chap I spoke to said that if the PCB conversion has been done, both the old and new media can be used.

I distinctly remember being told by Photomart that once the PCB conversion had been done, the old media would be no good anymore and to make sure that I'd used up all the old media before doing the conversion. Furthermore, from that point onwards, whenever I ordered media, I was asked if the conversion had been done.

So, was the chap I spoke to today right or wrong?

One more thing ........ (sounding like Columbo here).

The 2nd part of my original post asked for recommendations for replacing my Olmec's. That will need to happen sooner or later, probably sooner, so any recommendations will be welcome.

My preference is for printers that will do 9x6's and failing that, 8x6's.

Hi Steve,

As possibly everyone on here knows Event-Photos is sponsored by Mitsubishi, however that doesn't make me their lapdog, I've been highly critical of some of their products over the years but that's down to freedom of choice. and no one product can be all things to all people.

It'll come as no surprise I'd recommend two of the Mitsubishi printers

1) CP-D70 printer for what you've described probably the best choice.

2) A used CP9800 or CP9810, you can pick these up for sub 500 with very few miles on the clock.

My reasoning is choice, choice of supplier, I believe there are 5 distributors and choice of tech support should you need it, there are 5 or 6 service points including Gary Ephgrave in St Albans, he is ex-Mitsubishi tech.

With regards to suppliers, I've never had any issues with System Insight, in the pursuit of clarity and before anyone shouts, as a result of doing business with them (allbeit not a lot of 's in real terms) Stuart and I are now pretty good mates.

I'm sure others will give their ideas to give balance.

I have both DNP and Mitsi printers and get great results from both makes. Having said that, I prefer the prints from the Mitsi models as I feel that the blacks are more dense. I used to have a Mitsi 9810 and it is a very good printer. The only thing I didn't like is the fact that the 9x6 prints stick out of the printer during each pass. I prefer a printer that keeps the print internal until it has been completed. It stops people from grabbing the print too soon.

Simon

Simon Coates Event Photography
    Read my event photography blog

On the internet, you can be anything you want.
    It's strange that so many people choose to be idiots.

Founder

Without a doubt the 2 most popular brands are Mitsubishi and DNP and if the surveys that I have done here and on Facebook are anything to go by the DNP DS40 is the most popular 9x6 printer by numbers sold of an individual model, however Mitsubishi as a brand are equal in volume to DNP, nobody else comes close.

Running the forum I get to hear the good and bad about all suppliers, not found any with a 100% record and the same with printers i.e. no printer with 100% reliability.

Printers rarely go wrong so having more repair points is not important, having manufacturer trained support and both Mitsubishi and DNP supply this.

My recommendation is to find out what those local to you are using and then network as it is nice having people local that can help you with media etc.

Mike

Steve
    I have over a roll of the Shinko media that you can try, I will post it off to you and you can see if it works on your machine.
    Let me know if you are still interested and pm me an address to send the media to.
    Regards
    Les
    Ps we use the DS40 and had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Weeks View Post
    Without a doubt the 2 most popular brands are Mitsubishi and DNP and if the surveys that I have done here and on Facebook are anything to go by the DNP DS40 is the most popular 9x6 printer by numbers sold of an individual model, however Mitsubishi as a brand are equal in volume to DNP, nobody else comes close.

Running the forum I get to hear the good and bad about all suppliers, not found any with a 100% record and the same with printers i.e. no printer with 100% reliability.

Printers rarely go wrong so having more repair points is not important, having manufacturer trained support and both Mitsubishi and DNP supply this.

My recommendation is to find out what those local to you are using and then network as it is nice having people local that can help you with media etc.

Mike
    Mike

Of course your members represent a very small number of printers used in the UK and Europe. You fail to mention HiTi and although there maybe not be a lot of HiTi users on the EPS it is still a strong brand. We sell a lot into the Event market and into the UK Government and also into retail. although they are not as strong a brand as Mitsubishi.

It is worth mentioning of course that Mitsubishi have been present selling dye subs since in the UK in the early nineties, HiTi have been a dye sub supplier since 1999 especially in Europe and Asia and also make their own printers. DNP on the other hand are a relative newcomer to this market of course. In fact DNP used to sell a re-badged HiTi model.

Mitsubishi represent the main printers used in high volume output at theme parks, in retail (pharmacy and supermarket), photo ID booths, police and local government etc both here and around the world. This is one of the reasons we use them around Europe and the world.

Mitsubishi also make the vast majority of their printers themselves and I am also lead to believe that other major photographic brands also OEM their equipment.

You also mention that printers rarely go wrong which I would have to agree with, although I totally disagree with the fact that the number of service centers is not important. If I where buying a car I would want to know that I had a choice of service centers in case my local dealer couldn't satisfy my requirements. Only recently we have seen people on the forum looking for alternatives sources of DNP supplies. I believe that more dealers and service centers is a key point in the decision process for buying a printer.

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk
    Last edited by Stuart Morley; 29-05-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast