Thread: Kodak 6800 says ribbon empty when its not !!

Kodak 6800 says ribbon empty when its not !!

Hi Guys

I have a Kodak 6800 which is telling me its ribbon is empty even when a new ribbon is put in. I have cleaned all the usual sensors, rollers etc but no joy.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    If not whos best for service on this unit?

Any help very gratefully received !

Re: Kodak 6800 says ribbon empty when its not !!

Dumb question - have you replaced the ribbon and the media?

If you need any spares I have an working 6800 with a possible head fault if that is any use to you?

Kind Regards

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk

If you want the machine looking at , and possibly fixing then we could do that .

Quote Originally Posted by systeminsight
    If you need any spares I have an working 6800 with a possible head fault if that is any use to you?

Kind Regards

Stu

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    Someone has suggested that it could be the small sensor inside the cover of the unit - top right. This reads the sort of barcode on the end of the ribbon.
    If you are breaking that machine perhaps I could purchase the small sensor board as its worth a go. Its one screw and a ribbon cable to install it.

Ok, now this reminds me - there was a reported problem withthe Kodak 6800/6850 - which was to do with a sensor being affected by light leakage. This happened to guys using tyhe printer in a studio situation , the flashes would leaki into the machine casing and set of a sensore which would then trick the printer's CPU into displayingt the warning - so I think this is where your problem is.

It was widely talked about a few years ago. As a result of this , I do believe that Kodak instigated a redesign on the casing of the 6800 series machine , at which point the replacement machine came along , and this is the current 605.

In fact , this is something that is on the web , and I hope Stuart at System Insight won't mind me lifting this , but it is something which his comapny had reported -

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/kodak685 ... ssues.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No problem Mark.

The flash issue resulted in a paper jam, not a ribbon error as far as I know.

The problem was on the 6800 and still on the 6850. Kodak did have a solution however which involved putting a photo mount or folder on top of the printer....nice !

The information in the link was provided by Kodak BTW

I believe the 605 solved the problem.

Lost interest in Kodak a long time ago and this issues in conjunction with many others was the reason why.

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk