Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Any Citizen Citizens? [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Any Citizen Citizens?

Mark Amies
06-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Anyone got views on this one.

15-04-2009, 10:42 AM
We have the Citizen CW-01. It's very fast - but a bit heavy compared to the Mitsi printers. It also only works on Windows - as there are no MAC drivers. The speed is assisted by concurrent processing of the next image in line, meaning much less waiting around between prints. The Mitsi does it all serially, waiting for the current print to finish before starting to process the next.
The build is very substatantial and I'm sure it can take (and give!) a few knocks, however we also purchased the fight case from System Insight - which I think is invaluable. The printer is difficult to move by itself, but the flight case (although adding to the weight) makes it more manageable.
Running costs are around 40p for a 9x6 print.
Unfortunately the driver does NOT tell you the amount of media remaining - or used. So you do need to manually check beore taking out on an event. Thats the units biggest problem.
So overall, a heavy but effective printer. But get the flight case!!

Mark Amies
15-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Wow, Codsall, my Mum used to teach at the school there back in the late 1970's.

20-05-2009, 11:39 PM
I too have bought the CW-01 and have been very impressed. As stated, very quick, and no jamming. At the last event it was even run from a small generator with just a good quality anti-surge block, following Citizen advice; although they also suggest a passing through a battery backup on the way. No problems. I would agree that a flight case is essential kit and that the lack of media monitoring is an issue. The printer is supplied with a catch tray, but this can only be used with 6x4 print size. I decided to go with the Citizen due to budget; I am convinced I made the right choice.

Graham Russell
21-05-2009, 07:53 AM
In addition to the comments about print speed I'd like to add the colour accuracy of the prints is great. The profile supplied with the printer is spot on. In contrast Mitsu printers have aweful colours and need custom profiling.

I also have the Mitsu CP3800DW, which is made by Citizen, and this has spot on colours too.

Cheers
Graham

Lee_Marshall
28-05-2009, 12:08 PM
I am in love with my CW-01!

Bought it from System Insight at Focus to replace my 2 Hi-Ti 730PS and it was the best thing I ever did.

Extremely quick, perfect profiling and total reliability. Thinking about getting a second one!

I didn't go for the flight case but use the box it came with, not ideal but does the job.

28-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Hi Lee

I would really suggest getting the flight case, same supplier as the printer, as it is made specifically for the CW-01 so it is a perfect fit, well padded and has two handles to share the lift. It also has a good space below the printer shelf for all the leads etc. It is suggested that the printer can be used in the case but I am a little concerned about airflow in through the vent in the bottom... maybe I am too fussy. Also, insurance 'small print' seems to require printers to be transported in flight cases to be covered, you might want to check the wording in your cover.

Doug

philhynds
09-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Agree with most of the above, but beware that SI are the only suppliers of media for this printer in the UK AND the price for a 9" x 6" pack has just gone up by nearly 30%

I've had great service from mine, but my next dye sub will be a more readily available model.

nigelb
22-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Me too Its been very difficult to keep stocks of media with the supply line having problems since March. Failed to order again yesterday, could have ordered but no date when media would be available. Going through the process of evaluating other printers now!

Stuart Morley
23-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Me too Its been very difficult to keep stocks of media with the supply line having problems since March. Failed to order again yesterday, could have ordered but no date when media would be available. Going through the process of evaluating other printers now!

There have been a few issues regarding stocks recently but things should be sorted very soon.

You say your failed to order? - Have you media currently on order at the moment.
We had a delivery yesterday and I think all (if not most) back orders were satisifed.

If you are thinking of changing models then give me a call as I would be interested in your Citizen.

Kind Regards

Stuart

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk

02-09-2009, 11:10 PM
I too have the CW-01 which I purchased from SI and while acknowledging that the build and reliability of the unit is good I was never happy with the finished product as all my prints have an exaggerated tanned effect colour cast which I cannot seem to be able to correct. I did get on to my supplier who I might add I pre paid for a years support but they did not seem too interested in helping me out with the issue. Each time I did get on to them I would get to talk to a guy who kept insisting that he was only there helping out and was more to do with photography than printing issue's, yet he is one of the principles when it comes to the training days which they run each month. Several messages which I left with queries were left unanswered. I was always going to buy a second printer which I did but not from them needless to say and this time around I went for the Sony UP DR 200 and the prints I get from this are much more realistic looking while still using Picasa. In addition the Sony tells me how many prints are left on the roll which is of major benefit if working at a busy event. Basically what I am saying is that side by side from the same image the Sony is winning hands down. Of course thats not to say that the Citizen is a bad printer. Far from it, if I could get my colour profiles corrected I would probaly prefer to use it as personnally I prefer a 9x6 to an 8x6. I also have ED Darkroom but have not gotten around to using it yet but when I feel comfortable it will be my software of choice as while Picasa is free it is limited in what it can do. I expect these comments will ruffle a few feathers at SI but the facts are that I paid good money for a top of the line printer and I am not getting the results as stated. [/color]

Mark Amies
03-09-2009, 06:00 AM
John, have you considered getting a colour profile created? One company that is often referred to for this is Pure Profiles.

Graham Russell
03-09-2009, 08:41 AM
I use the CW1 and get great colours using the standard profile.

If you want to chat through settings etc sometime to see where the problem may be let me know.

Graham

Stuart Morley
03-09-2009, 09:22 AM
I use the CW1 and get great colours using the standard profile.

Graham

Hi John

Sorry to hear that you have had some colour issues. The Citizen out of all the printers I have seen produces the best prints out of the box without needing custom profiles. The only other printer that is as good and is the CP3800 (made by Citizen for Mitsubishi). The results from both are very similar which is a requirement if you are offering different sizes.

I believe you spoke with Mike Orr who is our in-house consultant photographer who does many events and as you mention co-hosts our Event Photography Course. Whilst he has an in-depth knowledge of the Event Photography Market and offers our customers free advice he is not a Technical Support person and would therefore maybe unable to answer you technical colour profiling questions.

However we do have in house Technical Support and I am suprised that you have not spoken to them about this issue.

We always ask anyone who has these issues to send in a print and the original file so that we may investigate further. Sometimes these issues are applications software specific but we always do our best to help resolve them.

I will ensure someone gives you a call shortly to resolve your issue and as a guesture of goodwill I will extend your pro-support by an additional 3 months at no cost for your trouble so far.

Kind Regards

Stuart

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

03-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Hi Stuart, thanks for your courtesy call and your prompt response here on the forum. I'm not going to get into an argument about who I did or did not speak with, sufficient for me to say that the person involved did identify himself as being a technical support person. Any way like I said, thanks for the call and I am just here now to let others know that I am in the process of sending you over three prints from the Citizen and three prints from the Sony together with the relevant files for your comparison and analysis, hopefully between us we can resolve this issue.Will keep others here posted on progress.

03-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Hi Graham, thanks for your quick reply and offer of support. If you send me a PM through my email with your contact details I can ring you at a suitable time and we can chat this through.

Regards

John Regan.