Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Welcome the Big 500 - Mark Lumley [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Welcome the Big 500 - Mark Lumley

Mike Weeks
05-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Well the 500th account has been activated, Mark Lumley welcome on board and here is to the next 500.

Mike

ian griffiths
05-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Just looking down the list of most recent posters and its very much "All the usual suspects"

I hope that when new people join they dont get the impression its a 'clicky place' and are willing to post and join in. I guess there are about 40% who do post and of those probably 20% make 80% of all the posts, so any ideas how we can encourage more people to post?

Trudy Trafford
05-11-2009, 12:57 PM
I would have been open to bribes!!!
:omy:

Mark Amies
05-11-2009, 01:00 PM
I think it may be a good idea to say to people when they apply that they consider what they are joining - now I must admit I don't know if this is already stated, but I will say it anyway.

When I was busy advocating for someone to start up a Society for Event Photographers, mainly through another more general photographers' forum , I had in mind that it would be something where members would contribute toward the good of the Event community, so that people didn't feel they were out there on their own. The best place for people to contribute, is really on a forum.

I don't think anyone who is a member should be shy to get on here, there really is no reason. Admitedly most forums will have regular contributors, but it would be nice to see some more faces on here.

That said there has been so much done in such a short space of time , and I congratulate everyone involved, especially Mike Weeks for making the EPS a worthy Society.

So come on , anyone out there viewing this, who hasn't spoken up yet, stand up and be counted!! You never know , it could make all the difference - like the little guy says-

:diff:

Jeremy Nako
05-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Great slogan though..

Welcome to the Event Photographer Society - the Clicky Place !

Ian McGirr
05-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Just looking down the list of most recent posters and its very much "All the usual suspects"
I guess there are about 40% who do post and of those probably 20% make 80% of all the posts, so any ideas how we can encourage more people to post?

Tell me about it. When you had the Autumn Meet, this forum was like the Marie Celeste

:lol: :lol:

ian griffiths
05-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Jeremy,

Well done, positive thought, turn a possible negative in to a positive!

05-11-2009, 03:59 PM

I hope that when new people join they dont get the impression its a 'clicky place' and are willing to post and join in. I guess there are about 40% who do post and of those probably 20% make 80% of all the posts, so any ideas how we can encourage more people to post?

More hours in the day would be helpful ;)

05-11-2009, 11:48 PM
I guess I was #499...

Never mind.

Mike Weeks
05-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Terrible to be the nearly man but then without 499 there would never have been 500
:rofl:

Mike

Ian McGirr
05-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Well, I dont know Mr. Beale. I would check it out on the board index ????
Apparantly we have 501 members and the latest was Mark Lumley.
SO, does that make you 'OUR GRAND PRIZE WINNER' ?
Bit late at night to work it out for me !!
:geek:

Mike Weeks
06-11-2009, 12:08 AM
It's complicated, Adam is actually No.495 and No. 496 was the 501st account to be activated and 501 was the 500th account activated and then when 496 was activated the account activated count changed to 501 but the name did not change as the last name joined. If you are confused you want to try doing the administartion and try and keep track of it all.

The site software says that there are 1.7 accounts activated per day, so in 294 days we could hit 1000 which would be the end of August 2010 - interesting to see if we hit it and if we do, whetehr it will be earlier or later.

Now its time for bed.

Mike

chris hoskins
06-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Mark the date in the diary then - and see whether the society is increasing in membership at a greater or slower rate. I'd guess early take up would be high, and then a slight slowdown as the numbers increase. Can I guess we get to 1000 by September the 10th.?

gary evans
06-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Can I guess we get to 1000 by September the 10th.?

Sounds like "Bet in Play"

Trudy Trafford
06-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Good idea, why not do it as a sort of sweepstake/raffle, pay say £1.00 to guess the date, the winner gets half the money raised, and the rest goes to charity???

Perhaps the 1000th member can receive a free photo!! :rofl:

I don't mind keeping a record of the entrants, I'm sure people could pay via paypal to EPS?

07-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Having been a member since 13th Oct (I know, I shouldn't have been too hasty and should have waited for the moment when the accolade of 500th member could have been bestowed upon me :D ) - this is my first post.

I am currently teetering on the edge of the giant leap into event photography (being just a keen amateur) and I have to say that the knowledge I've gained from reading the posts in the various threads on this forum takes me closer to that edge every day.

So, what I've learnt is:

1. To research the market
2. To learn about business
3. What does and does not work to maximise sales
4. The the location of my portable studio can mean the difference between breaking even and turning a profit (or a loss)
5. That having backups for kit is vitally important
6. What is the best kit for starting out with
7. That getting the first event booking is harder than initially thought :-(

...and a host of other useful bits of information that wouldn't have even crossed my mind.

This is all thanks to those of you who have been extremely kind in posting up your own experiences and knowledge.

With the above in mind, I now have all the gear needed apart from the printer which I will buy once I have the first booking. The knowledge of where to place the studio (I'm toying with the idea of calling it the 'Ladies Room' :D ). A lovely assistant to deal with the printing and sales (my 17 year old daughter as she will work for bed and board :D ).

I also think I have found a niche in the market that I have not seen mentioned anywhere so far.

The flyers are out and I'm hoping that with the Christmas season nearly upon us I might at least pick up one booking.

So - thanks again to all of you who have imparted your knowledge - it can't have been easy.

All the best

Tony