Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
iPad to DS-40 Printing [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : iPad to DS-40 Printing

danfarina
03-05-2016, 12:54 PM
Is it possible to print directly from just an iPad to a DS-40? I'm using a Nikon D700.

I want to shoot kids baseballs (other events) games and show the photos to parents on my iPad, and print photos from my car. (I own a Chevrolet Volt so power is not an issue). I'd like to save time and not have to download the photos onto my Windows laptop.

I'd PREFER a wired connection to my DS-40 printer. I've already purchased the Apple "Lightning to USB 3 Adapter" to transfer the photos to my iPad, which seems to work just fine. I tried using an Eye-fi card last year, but my D700 camera takes the type 1 card, and I couldn't make it work. Even with a hack attempt.

I know DNP makes a wireless server, but I'm not sure that's worth the expense. If the range were further than 30 feet (8 meters?), and the photos would transfer as I selected photos to print from the iPad, I'd go that route. In fact, that would be ideal if I could just walk back to my car and the photos would already be printed.

I'm going back to my local Apple store this morning. They offered to give me additional help with this project.

I've done some research, but I'm spending too much time on it, and it's beyond my experience. Any help appreciated.

Dan

john wright
03-05-2016, 02:43 PM
Hi Dan

I have done something similar using a windows netbook/ Android tablet. Shoot to tablet and tablet auto FTP via wireless to netbook attached to printer. Print is automated by using Allen Christopher Printripper. Auto ftp for Android was a free download. Show parents the images, the ones selected are moved to the monitored ftp folder on the tablet and then auto transferred and printed. Probably can do something similar with an iPad.

John

danfarina
05-05-2016, 01:09 PM
Thanks for your reply. I thought I would get more opinions on the subject.