Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
UPS and Genie advice please [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : UPS and Genie advice please

Harry Lessman
07-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Hi all

I run a small onsite printing service currently just me with one 27in Imac and a Hiti P510s, currently i can use a main supply at the venue i work out of but i would like to also be self sufficient so have been looking at pure sin wave genies such as the Kipor.

A couple of questions.

What size genie would i need to run the above and is it worth me adding a UPS for extra protection to be able to power down if i run out of fuel unexpectibley, again what sort of UPS would i need for my setup..

Thanks
Harry

Richard Chaff
07-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Hi all

I run a small onsite printing service currently just me with one 27in Imac and a Hiti P510s, currently i can use a main supply at the venue i work out of but i would like to also be self sufficient so have been looking at pure sin wave genies such as the Kipor.

A couple of questions.

What size genie would i need to run the above and is it worth me adding a UPS for extra protection to be able to power down if i run out of fuel unexpectibley, again what sort of UPS would i need for my setup..

Thanks
Harry

Hi Harry

My recommendation would be the Honda EUi 1 or 2 kVA with gas conversion so that you don't run out of fuel. We run with 2 gas bottles and an auto changeover valve. It is also a bit cheaper to run on lpg. It is also quiet, lower emissions, cleaner oil.

One of these is not cheap but will last for years, has an economy setting which reduces fuel use with lower demand, and they start.

One supplier I have found most helpful is Edge Technology.

HTH

Mike Weeks
07-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Absolutely agree with all that Richard says.

Mike

Harry Lessman
07-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Thanks

Unfortunately i cant afford the Honda genies, at least not at the moment as have recently spent quite a lot of money on the other equipment i needed to start printing. So for now it has to be something like the Kipor or maybe the Clarke ones. I only really do motocross events so noise and emmisions are not a problem within reason..

Mike Weeks
07-04-2014, 10:39 PM
I know people that have had Kipor and generally very happy except for when they need repairing, I would try the clarke such as http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarke-IG1000-1kW-Inverter-Generator-/190438129784?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Mike

Mark Ratcliffe
08-04-2014, 05:57 AM
ive used Kipor with no issues atall and l know quite a few who use them......but for peace of mind !,if you are concerned that there may be an issue with it in the future,again i haven't heard any horror stories about repairs,Mike may have.The Little Clarke one Mike has linked will be more than adequate for what you need,and they have shops across the UK,Sold thro Machine Mart,It may even be there own Branded Genny

Harry Lessman
08-04-2014, 06:43 AM
Thanks again

Yes also was thinking of the Clarke one as you say there available from Machine Mart. I think for now that will do me until (if and when) i expand a bit more and have more printers and computers on the go. i currently shoot in the morning and sell in the afternoon. The printing normlly last for around 3-4 hrs with a constant flow of people with a small queue waiting to be served.....

simon coates
08-04-2014, 05:22 PM
I have used a Kippor 1000 to run a 27" iMac, a DNP DS-40, DS-80 and a Macbook pro with an extra screen. Worked well. Now use a Honda 2KVA which works even better. Would always recommend running the computer through a UPS so that it keeps running should you need to shut the generator down to refuel.

Simon

Amanda Wigmore
09-04-2014, 07:20 AM
I have used a Kippor 1000 to run a 27" iMac, a DNP DS-40, DS-80 and a Macbook pro with an extra screen. Worked well. Now use a Honda 2KVA which works even better. Would always recommend running the computer through a UPS so that it keeps running should you need to shut the generator down to refuel.

Simon

I have an Open frame 2 Kw Clarke Genny. I run a sales station with 32" Hi Def TV Screen, 4 viewing stations and 3 printers. I use a 2k UPS (Which I may be selling as I also have a 1k one which is easier for Col to lift) and I have never experienced any issues. The way I work is that I buy what I can afford and, when I have made money from it, buy the better alternative. It costs slightly more in the long run however, I couldn't afford 700 for a Genny but could afford 250. It's worked faultlessly over a couple of seasons and paid for itself many times over and put money in the bank towards a Honda Gas one.

x

Harry Lessman
09-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Thanks again

Yes im the same where i will earn what i need then buy it and if that means using a cheaper genie to start with then so be it as i wont get in debt for a dearer one. Intersting that you use an open frame genie as i guess thats not pure sin wave, but using the UPS controls the electric to the computers etc ?

I think the clarke one will prob be the best deals for me and maybe add a small UPS too :)

Amanda Wigmore
10-04-2014, 07:09 AM
Thanks again

Yes im the same where i will earn what i need then buy it and if that means using a cheaper genie to start with then so be it as i wont get in debt for a dearer one. Intersting that you use an open frame genie as i guess thats not pure sin wave, but using the UPS controls the electric to the computers etc ?

I think the clarke one will prob be the best deals for me and maybe add a small UPS too :)

It's not pure sine wave but the UPS makes it good to use. It also gives me up to 30 minutes of use without the Generator on. Useful if we have to refuel.

x

pauldobson
16-04-2014, 01:15 PM
We use the Clarke 2.2 kva genny with no problems and have the Maplin 1500w smart UPS which works for us running 2 printers 2 laptops DS40 and DS80 and 4 viewing stations.

john wright
16-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Hi,
If you get the Clarke one remember to check the oil regularly. Used the 1kva pure sine wave suitcase one for the last 2 years primarily as a back up to my battery and inverter system and not had any issues at all.

I currently have a buyer for mine (waiting for confirmation) but if you want I will give you a shout if the sale falls through. As it was used as a back up and battery top up it has probably only been run 10 times in the time I have had it.

Battery inverter system will probably be for sale shortly as well as I am concentrating on other event types.

John

Harry Lessman
16-04-2014, 04:26 PM
thanks again folks

with the gennie i think ill prob by new so i get the warrenty etc unless its pretty cheap. Im now also thinking of going for a 2000 watt gennie so it will cover me for future expansion if i add more equipment and looking online the Kippor seems to get very good reviews :)

Mike Weeks
16-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Burger van next to us at the weekend had a Clarke so I asked about their experience. They said that it burnt out a few spark plugs at the start but once run in it has been as good as anything else they have used.

Mike