Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
DNP DS40 eating media [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DNP DS40 eating media

Trudy Trafford
09-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Our DS40 has started to chew up the media and jam.

It seems to perform the first two passes ok but then jams. Reloaded paper and used different media, but the same result. The attached pic is an example.

Any ideas?

john wright
09-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Hi Trudy

Condensation has been the number one cause of this issue for me. I now try to keep the media warmer than the ambient if working outdoors. I have also had a problem in a small room that was like a giant sauna once the lights and everything were running.

John

Trudy Trafford
10-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the reply John. We have had that issue too with swimming events in the past, but I don't think its the issue this time :(

The printer and the media are kept in the office (its the office printer and spare). We did a photo booth job the night before where it churned out 6x4 after 6x4 for more or less 3 continuous hours, no problems. It wasn't freezing, it was a 10 minute journey home and the printer was taken straight back down to the office. Started to print orders yesterday, changed the 6x4 ribbon to a new 6x9. Printed 2 off perfectly, no problem and then it started to go weird and the ribbon ripped. I celloptaped it back on, tried again and it just went from bad to worse.

I did drop the printer the night before the photo booth job (well, rather it fell off the trolley), but it was in a flight case and printed fine on the night and then the following night it was fine too?

simon coates
10-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Just sell it as new product - it can be used as a fan….

Simon the helpful

pauldobson
10-12-2013, 01:25 PM
This sounds similar to a problem I had that turned out to be the print drive belt had stretched. Replace under warranty by PhotoMart.

Hope you get it sorted soon

Paul

Trudy Trafford
11-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks Paul, I seem to have fixed the problem myself thankfully :)

The way it was ripping the media I think there must have been something there.

Mark Ratcliffe
11-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks Paul, I seem to have fixed the problem myself thankfully :)

The way it was ripping the media I think there must have been something there.

Horse eye lash's maybe :-) they do get every where

Glad your sorted Trudy

Peter Martin-Turner
11-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Hedgehogs in that part of the world seem adventurous too

Trudy Trafford
11-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Lol! I did find a bit of paper in the front cutty bit, got that out with a pair of tweezers, then gave it a bit of a blow and it seemed to do the trick thank goodness.

Mike Weeks
11-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Just as I thought ;-) can be a bugger to find though.

Mike

Trudy Trafford
11-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Just as I thought ;-) can be a bugger to find though.

Mike

Yep, typical bloke, Simon couldn't find it... He did a man look!

Mike Weeks
11-12-2013, 11:43 PM
I now remove and empty waste tray before packing away, those little strips can fly around during transport.

Mike

Bill Allon_Camera Angles
12-12-2013, 07:02 AM
I had same problem when I first got my Mitsubishi DW70s We take them out of their cases to use and a print would come out & rest on the table with the other end protruding from the machine, stopping the small cut off piece from falling into the bin. This is due to the relatively small space between the print slot & the bottom of this type of printer. This perplexed us, and Stu Morley for a while. Now we have prints falling off the edge of the table if you don't catch them first, must find something for them to fall into.

Amanda Wigmore
12-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Happened to me at a busy prom. the sales assistant pulled the print just before the machine had cut it fully. This left the cut off strip laying in the exit path almost completely hidden. Luckily a torch and a pair of tweezers sorted it. I know tell anyone who works with me to let the print fall out before touching it.

x

Mark Ratcliffe
12-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Yes Bill i think thats the issue with the mitsi printer,the print doesn't drop like it does out for the DNP,i use to use the lid of my flight case,put that under the printer and raises it off the table enough so the print falls free of the cutter/slit just have to be wary when coming to the end of a roll of media as the curls of the prints can still catch and not fall free of the cutter

I know use a 5 inch high block of foam (5x1" glued flight case foam) covered in a black velvet that works as the printer stand ;-)

Bill Allon_Camera Angles
12-12-2013, 09:11 AM
It's a test for my assistants to take the money, put the print in a mount & give it to the customer in time to catch the next print before it hits the floor. Keeps them on their toes!

Jason Goodlad
16-12-2013, 10:26 PM
I cannot believe no one has made a comment about Trudy 'giving it a blow'….her words not mine…where is Mr Eaton and Mr Christopher????? Ha! Ha!

Trudy Trafford
12-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Despite "giving it a blow" the media was still getting eaten. In a final attempt to clear it, before the call to photomart, we switched the whole paper unit over from machine to another. Low and behold the problem stopped on the first machine and occurred on the second machine. Sign of relief it is narrowed down to the paper handling unit. Or is it….

Well on inspection of the actual paper itself it is the new sort with the "toilet roll" insert. Switching to a new roll of paper without the insert the problem stopped altogether. Now the diameter of the holes, with and without the insert is the same so I can only conclude that under tension it is slipping on the spindle very slightly causing the rip in the media. If this is the case has anyone else experienced this?

Is all new media shipped with the insert?