Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
DS80 cooling fan running at full speed [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DS80 cooling fan running at full speed

chris nutt
19-10-2013, 09:37 AM
The cooling fan on our DS80 is running at full speed all the time - even from switch-on. The printer also goes into the "cooling down pause" mode even after a couple of prints - so taking 2 -3 minutes between prints. It's operating in free air at about 20C - so no environmental issues - and all the vents / filter foam are clear (it's never been used outdoors - only in hotels / at home). It sounds like a temp sensor issue to me - so I've pinged Photomart for support - however I was wondering if anyone else here has had a similar issue?

Mike Weeks
21-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Personally I have never heard of this on any printer in similar conditions and without more knowledge I would probably reach a similar conclusion.

Mike

chris nutt
26-10-2013, 08:51 PM
It's going back to Photomart next week for testing. Looks like it's still under warranty (fingers crossed). However the big issue is that the temp sensor is integral to the print head - so it's probably a new head just to replace the sensor - if indeed that is the problem.
I'll post again when I get some news.

Ian MacLachlan
01-11-2013, 02:23 PM
I had this same problem with a DS40. It was fixed under warranty.

chris nutt
11-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Unfortunately I don't seem to be as lucky as Ian. Just had an invoice form Photomart for over £400 for a new head. I'm not a happy bunny - especially when I THOUGHT it had a two year warranty (however no paperwork exists to back that up and current warranty is only 12 months) The printer is only about 17 months old and has produced around a 1200 prints.

Ian's posting of the same fault on a DS40 indicates what is maybe a "common" problem with the DNP temp sensor.

Grrrrrrr......

Mark Ratcliffe
11-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Ouch Chris i feel for you !

chris nutt
12-11-2013, 01:10 PM
I'm now in an on-going discussion with Photomart about the warranty. There's something a bit odd in what is being said about the two year warranty cover, i.e. when the offer was started (it was certainly offered mid 2012 according to web archives) and who is covering it (i.e. Photomart or DNP - which isn't really my issue or concern). Don't want to say much more about it here until the situation is resolved one way or the other.

philhynds
13-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Interesting. I was on the point of buying a DS40, but will hold fire now, pending your outcome.

Stuart Morley
13-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Seems strange that they did a Two year warranty, then it was reduced to One year and now it is Two years again?

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk

ian griffiths
14-11-2013, 11:14 AM
I knew I'd seen it somewhere, here is Mark's post announcing the two year warranty?

chris nutt
14-11-2013, 03:22 PM
A letter has been sent today to Mr Martindale at Photomart with copy documents etc (including the same posting page as found by Ian above) to try and get a resolution to this issue. I don't want to elaborate any more at the moment until PM have had the opportunity to formally respond. Needless to say I'm currently £568 out of pocket for 17 month old printer with ~1700 prints on the counter.

chris nutt
19-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Whilst I'm waiting for a response from Photomart on the DS80 two year warranty issue issue, has anyone else had any warranty / quality issues with the DNP range? My past info was that they are pretty reliable. Our DS40 has been running well for over two years with no problems (Doh - I shouldn't have said that.. - tempting fate or what??) I've not really seen any bad comments on the forum or elsewhere.

Mike Weeks
19-11-2013, 05:09 PM
I have 2 DS40s and 1 DS80, yes I have had one thermal head replaced on a DS40 but it was working OK before I dropped it so I cant blame the gear., been using for well over 3 years so personally no reliability issues.

My Olmec ran perfectly

The only printer I had an issue with was a Mitsubishi 9550 where it would overheat during constant printing, however when I contacted Hatfield they said it was operating within normal expectation so in reality I have never had an issue with a printer.

Mike

Stuart Morley
19-11-2013, 06:46 PM
We obviously see more printers than most of course but all printers these days are pretty reliable to be honest.

Head life should be in excess of 30,000 prints but varies between models. If you change a print head after 30,000 it has pretty much paid for itself. Just workout what it's earned you ! :)

Most of our experience is based around Mitsubishi, Citizen and HiTi and all are very reliable. I would say that of all of these makes the Mitsubishi are the most reliable but there's not a lot in it.

Mitsubishi tend to be used in theme parks and very high volume locations and we always use Mitsubishi for high volume work.

As I have post here on the forum somewhere which mentions that we printed 65,000 photos on approx 10 printers over a month duration during London 2012 in the Olympic Park. The printers where in fact in a marquee and the environment was very dusty. Not only did we not have any of the printers fail, but we didn't have even one missed print. Testament to the Mitsubishi D70 indeed.

I even have printers installed in a cave at sub zero temperatures in Norway!

I think that the fact that people are still using Mitsubishi CP8000 printers which must be 10+ years old and they are going strong (albeit slower) is testament to the reliability of these types of devices. There are people out there still using the old HiTi 730PS printers which are 7-8+ years old now and cost £300 when new!

I would think that as well as reliability, you should look at serviceability and availability of parts and the cost of repair, as this is crucial should the inevitable happen.

Most of the repairs we do are due to damage through dropping etc rather than failure.

Hope that helps.

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk

chris nutt
24-11-2013, 12:23 PM
So, no response at all from Photomart to my comprehensive mail to their MD last week about the strange situation regarding the "on and off" two year warranty offer on the DNP printers. So we're stepping it up a gear with the FSB legal advice folk tomorrow. I'll keep you posted....

chris nutt
25-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Update - contacted the FSB legal advisor today who, in the face of no response from Photomart to my previous letter, has recommended instigation of the Sale of Goods Act. The printer has failed well before its intended design life - and is also an expensive device that you would expect to have a substantial life.

Now I'm waiting (again) for a formal response from Photomart. I'm quite happy to go to court if necessary.

Sorry if this is a bit boring, but I think we all need to be aware of the situation regarding warranties and also the expected life of the expensive equipment we buy from our suppliers.

Bill Allon_Camera Angles
25-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Not surprised at Photomart's (non) response. I'm still waiting for a reply to an e mail I sent to the MD about my Olmec OP1000 several months ago.

Gareth_Stewart
27-11-2013, 01:47 PM
I wonder is this issue a reflection of the manufacturer or the supplier?

chris nutt
27-11-2013, 04:59 PM
It looks like this issue is being resolved - in a good way. Following another mail to their MD, Photomart are refunding us all the money for the repair - we're just waiting for it to hit our account.

Really good to get it resolved without it getting nasty. We've always had really good service from PM in the past - so this was a very disappointing episode, which is now behind us.

Time to move on and focus on the business!

Just a note to self - get any warranty terms in writing in the future!!

Stuart Morley
28-11-2013, 08:13 AM
It looks like this issue is being resolved - in a good way. Following another mail to their MD, Photomart are refunding us all the money for the repair - we're just waiting for it to hit our account.

Really good to get it resolved without it getting nasty. We've always had really good service from PM in the past - so this was a very disappointing episode, which is now behind us.

Time to move on and focus on the business!

Just a note to self - get any warranty terms in writing in the future!!

I am glad you have managed to get this resolved at last. It's a good outcome.

"Really good to get it resolved without it getting nasty." - So having to send multiple emails and take legal advice isn't getting nasty? Not ideal I would have thought….

For me….(with any business I had dealings like this with) my note to myself would be…."Don't do any business again with companies that I have had to threatened with legal action" :)

If you had the same problems with a builder or plumber would you use them again?

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk

Mark Ratcliffe
28-11-2013, 09:30 AM
I am glad you have managed to get this resolved at last. It's a good outcome.

"Really good to get it resolved without it getting nasty." - So having to send multiple emails and take legal advice isn't getting nasty? Not ideal I would have thought….

For me….(with any business I had dealings like this with) my note to myself would be…."Don't do any business again with companies that I have had to threatened with legal action" :)

If you had the same problems with a builder or plumber would you use them again?

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk

Amazed that it had to escalate to legal advice.at least your sorted

chris nutt
28-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Far from ideal I agree Stuart. A real shame that it had to go that far.

However the refund has now been received - so even though I can't say I'm happy with events - I'm a lot happier than when I was £560 out of pocket...

Bill Allon_Camera Angles
28-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Stu hit the nail on the head. Photomart now have had the worst of both worlds, paying under the warranty, pissing off the customer and attracting bad publicity.

Stuart Morley
28-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Far from ideal I agree Stuart. A real shame that it had to go that far.

I'm a lot happier than when I was £560 out of pocket...

I bet you are and a great result..... :)

Stu hit the nail on the head. Photomart now have had the worst of both worlds, paying under the warranty, pissing off the customer and attracting bad publicity.

Couldn't agree more Bill.

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk

Mark Eaton
02-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Well done Chris, a satisfactory outcome. As Im sure is apparent from Chris's post just because someone states that a warranty is for X months, under the sale of goods act, the length of expected service life of the item may mean a court will regard a LONGER warranty time to be fair.
Mark

Stuart Morley
02-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Well done Chris, a satisfactory outcome. As Im sure is apparent from Chris's post just because someone states that a warranty is for X months, under the sale of goods act, the length of expected service life of the item may mean a court will regard a LONGER warranty time to be fair.
Mark

The other thing to bear in mind is that your rights maybe very different if you are dealing business to business. A lot of rights that a customer would have dealing with a retailer don't apply to business to business transactions.

So when you are buying from a trade warehouse as a business you may lose a lot of the rights that you would have as a consumer.

"Caveat Emptor" - Let the buyer beware.

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk