Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Hello everyone (I'm new) and can I have printer advice please :) [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone (I'm new) and can I have printer advice please :)

Jason Moran
04-10-2013, 02:03 PM
First off let me say hello to everyone :)

I'm not new to photography and have done some events, mostly xmas parties at a local hotel for the last couple of years but also a prom and a couple of wedding receptions. I've currently got a HiTi P510s that has on the most part served me well but has recently had a couple of problems.
The first problem was what looked like mis-aligned image layers when printing 6x9's so the images came out blurry. Couldn't figure out what the problem was and had a big cue of people waiting but after changing the media and several power-off and on's it started working again?? Then a couple of weeks ago it wouldn't recognise that there was a ribbon in it at all. Finally figured it was a loose sensor that reads the chip on the ribbon and gave it a jiggle (easier said than done!) and it's working fine again.

Needless to say I'm losing confidence in the printer so I'm looking to replace it and hence me asking for advice :)
Based on my needs I'm looking at either the Mits CP-D70 or the DNP DS40. I considered the DNP DS-RX1 because it's cheaper and fast enough for what I need but it doesn't print 6x9 and I have tons of 6x9 mounts and could do without the hassle of cropping images to 6x8.

It looks like the printers are basically the same price and so is the media so what I'd love to know is what you guys think? Mits or DNP? and why?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks
Jason

Mark Ratcliffe
04-10-2013, 02:09 PM
if you go mitsi,look here http://www.pixmania-pro.com/
order and place it it your shopping cart,don't Pay,you'll get an email in a day or two with an extra 5 % discount code to help you make your mind up :-),mine netted to approx 810,i have had both the dnp and mitsi,not a lot between them,but i prefer the mitsi

Jason Moran
04-10-2013, 03:03 PM
if you go mitsi,look here http://www.pixmania-pro.com/
order and place it it your shopping cart,don't Pay,you'll get an email in a day or two with an extra 5 % discount code to help you make your mind up :-),mine netted to approx 810,i have had both the dnp and mitsi,not a lot between them,but i prefer the mitsi

Thanks for the tip Mark, I've done just that :) Is there any particular reason you prefer the mitsi?
Also with either of these printers if you have 6x9 media loaded can you print a 6x8 as you can with the Hiti? not important but would save me wasting a couple hundred 6x8 mounts that I still have left over from before I switched to 6x9.

Thanks
Jason

Mark Ratcliffe
04-10-2013, 03:08 PM
The gloss finish on the mitsi give a "blacker" black if that makes sense,both good printers tho,yes theyll both print 8x6 from 9x6 media

free box of media with the dnp on photomart.......only issue is they dont have any printers in stock !
talk about arse about tit

Jason Moran
04-10-2013, 08:06 PM
free box of media with the dnp on photomart.......only issue is they dont have any printers in stock !
talk about arse about tit

have you got a link to the free media offer? I can't seem to find it, all I can find is the event photography bundle where you get a couple of packs of media, looks a decent offer though and it's showing as in stock on the website.
I haven't phoned them to check stock levels because to be honest I'm a little annoyed with photomart at the minute but this is a public forum so I won't go into details :roll:

Mark Ratcliffe
04-10-2013, 09:56 PM
search for product code
DS40K

simon coates
05-10-2013, 09:00 AM
I have a DNP DS40 and a Mitsi CPD70 and I have to say that I prefer the print quality from the Mitsi. There's nothing wrong with the DNP, just so long as you don't lay the image next to one printed on the Mitsi. As Mark said, the blacks are much more dense on the Mitsi

Simon

Jason Moran
05-10-2013, 02:38 PM
I have a DNP DS40 and a Mitsi CPD70 and I have to say that I prefer the print quality from the Mitsi. There's nothing wrong with the DNP, just so long as you don't lay the image next to one printed on the Mitsi. As Mark said, the blacks are much more dense on the Mitsi

Simon

Thanks for your input Simon, I appreciate it.

It's starting to look like simply a decision between saving money with the DNP or going for the best quality with the Mitsi...and as the saving isn't a big one I think I'll go for the Mitsi.

Thanks for your help guys :)

Jason

mat_humphrey
07-10-2013, 07:42 AM
I would highly recomend the Mitsi i have had a 70 and currently got the 707 Love it you get relly nice prints media is not badly priced.

Amanda Wigmore
07-10-2013, 09:26 AM
I find the same difference in quality as Simon mentions between the DNP and my HiTi 510. The HiTi Blacks are far better and the print just seems better quality.

x

Jason Moran
07-10-2013, 06:09 PM
I find the same difference in quality as Simon mentions between the DNP and my HiTi 510. The HiTi Blacks are far better and the print just seems better quality.

x

I've always been quite happy with the blacks on my HiTi, though on mine I found the colours weren't as accurate as I'd have liked? not far off so probably just being picky!
I'm glad I've decided on the Mitsi though if the general opinion seems to be that the DNP blacks aren't up to the competition. Just trying to get the best deal on one now :) looks like it's going to be Pixmania so I'm just waiting a couple of days to see if they offer me a discount (thanks Mark!)

Mark Ratcliffe
07-10-2013, 09:33 PM
well they have free delivery on at the moment,Last last time i bought a printer from photomart about 11 months ago they charge 15 for delivery because of the value
they are 50 cheaper than photomart
and 135 cheaper than systems insight

so if you don't get the discount percent wise..... the free delivery is a saving over what you would get from photomart

Amanda Wigmore
08-10-2013, 09:54 AM
well they have free delivery on at the moment,Last last time i bought a printer from photomart about 11 months ago they charge 15 for delivery because of the value
they are 50 cheaper than photomart
and 135 cheaper than systems insight

so if you don't get the discount percent wise..... the free delivery is a saving over what you would get from photomart

Just to say that SI may be more expensive but I've always found their service and backup second to none.

x

Stuart Morley
08-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Just to say that SI may be more expensive but I've always found their service and backup second to none.

x

Thanks Amanda.

We aren't the cheapest and don't aim to be, but we are often thanked for the levels of service we provide.

At the end of the day the best service usually doesn't come from the lowest price. :)

We aren't in the business of being the lowest price, but then our customers usually aren't in the business of offering their clients the lowest price either. :)

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk

Jason Moran
08-10-2013, 04:27 PM

x

My Hiti was from SI originally :) and I'll admit that I'm a little concerned about dealing with Pixmania if the printer has problems but as Mark showed with his pricings there's a decent saving to be had and now even more so because Pixmania have today knocked a further 40 off my quote 8-)

I'm not VAT registered (yet) so I'm saving over 100 against Photomart's price and over 200 against System Insight, plus free delivery!

Jason

Stuart Morley
08-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Famous Quote.....

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot it cannot be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better. ~ John Ruskin

Applies to printers and photography alike.....

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk

Mark Ratcliffe
09-10-2013, 09:28 AM
My Hiti was from SI originally :) and I'll admit that I'm a little concerned about dealing with Pixmania if the printer has problems but as Mark showed with his pricings there's a decent saving to be had and now even more so because Pixmania have today knocked a further 40 off my quote 8-)

I'm not VAT registered (yet) so I'm saving over 100 against Photomart's price and over 200 against System Insight, plus free delivery!

Jason

its a buyers market,the choice is with you....on balance i would say theres a few quid to be saved there,also its a sellers prerogative to sell at what price the feel happy with and i can understand that......,you'll get a 5% off media offer in a few weeks as well ;-)

the failure rate of any piece of gear (that being the same manufacturer of course) does not alter the cheaper or in fact the dearer you pay for it

How the quote relates to a fixed piece of equipment i don't know ? ,we are discussing buying the same piece of kit at vastly different prices...not a cheaper alternative that i would agree tends to be the wrong way to go as indeed you do end up having to upgrade

Jason Moran
09-10-2013, 10:09 AM
its a buyers market,the choice is with you....on balance i would say theres a few quid to be saved there,also its a sellers prerogative to sell at what price the feel happy with and i can understand that......,you'll get a 5% off media offer in a few weeks as well ;-)

the failure rate of any piece of gear (that being the same manufacturer of course) does not alter the cheaper or in fact the dearer you pay for it

How the quote relates to a fixed piece of equipment i don't know ? ,we are discussing buying the same piece of kit at vastly different prices...not a cheaper alternative that i would agree tends to be the wrong way to go as indeed you do end up having to upgrade

Couldn't agree more Mark! and thanks for the heads up about the media offer :)

I shall now sit back and await more famous quotes of wisdom ;-)

Jason

Mark Ratcliffe
09-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Couldn't agree more Mark! and thanks for the heads up about the media offer :)

I shall now sit back and await more famous quotes of wisdom ;-)

Jason

PMSL :-)
no problem Jason

Stuart Morley
09-10-2013, 01:07 PM

Totally agree....

BUT

The level of support that you get and the ability to get it fixed quickly might....

Although it is just a printer, the support is a part of that as well (or it may not be if that doesn't matter to you). If your talking about Birds Eye peas then you might not need help eating them, or have equipment failure and so price maybe more important :)

A lot of our service and rental work comes from people that can't get the support that they now need which they where originally promised or didn't think they needed.

In exactly the same way as two photographers (both with expensive cameras) offer different levels of service :)

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk

Stuart Morley
09-10-2013, 01:13 PM

Jason

Don't forget you can also get a trade in against a new printer, or buy an ex-demo one at a discount.

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk

Mark Ratcliffe
09-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Totally agree....

BUT

The level of support that you get and the ability to get it fixed quickly might....

Although it is just a printer, the support is a part of that as well (or it may not be if that doesn't matter to you). If your talking about Birds Eye peas then you might not need help eating them, or have equipment failure and so price maybe more important :)

A lot of our service and rental work comes from people that can't get the support that they now need which they where originally promised or didn't think they needed.

In exactly the same way as two photographers (both with expensive cameras) offer different levels of service :)

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk

I have bought a mitsi printer from you Stu in the past and had it back to SI and Steve sorted the minor issue out we had with it and can only agree the service was fast and efficient
So not disagreeing with anything that you raise
:-)