Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Spool / Sent - Print Speed [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Spool / Sent - Print Speed

24-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi,

This is my first of probably many posts - great to stumble upon the site too...

Basically I have just got a Olmec OP1000 and the print speed is great once it starts but it takes a while from pressing print to getting the print out!

Using Picasa3 I have a M2 sized 1DsMIII file so not huge, not cropped so in the native 6:9 format not requiring any cropping.

I press Print and then the Print button on the print section (selected The Properties > Advanced > Print Directly to the Printer Option as I am told this should speed things up). The bar takes about 8 seconds before dissapearing and lets me continue in Picasa3.

The printer then does nothing for about 30 - 35 seconds.

The print then takes place and yes it takes the specified 14 ish seconds that I was told...

This is not becuase it's the first print - If I do a sequence of prints they are all as slow! Is this normal or is this something to do with the PC sending the file?

Any help and advice welcomed - I feel a little down as I was expecting to press the button and have a print within 25 seconds?!?!??!?

Thanks,

Michael

24-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The first print does require a warm up stage for the printer, after that I'd say it's your spooling to the printer that's taking the time as ours prints continuously, one after the other, after the other...so spooling takes less than the time to do a print.

To test the spooling select to print 3 copies of the same image, the 2nd and 3rd images won't be spooled (done at the first print) so should come ut straight away.

Have you tried printing from a different program?

24-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Yes Lightroom and this was pretty much the same, gonna clean the PC up and defrag it - you never know perhaps this could help on the sending front.

Just seems a little strange that the print queue on the PC says printing and the progress bar from picasa3 has sent it already so it doesn't appear to be the spooling process.

Stuart Morley
24-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Time to print an image and TOTAL time to print the image are often never the same.

A printer may print the image fast but take ages to process it.

Take the CP9800 for example, the original drivers were very slow and the printer sat there with the data light flashing before printing anything (this has now been addressed BTW).

The only way to really know what a printer does is to see it in use with your own kit before purchase or to view another persons setup.

Some printers (Citizen CW-01 and OP900) use a dual processing setup to process the next image whilst the first is printing this speeds up processing / printing time and you get one after the other prints without stopping.

I believe that you may have other issues going on because I cannot believe any printer would be that slow.

Does it speed up if you send 10 images? What is the time per print when you take the total time total time to print 10 images / 10?

Kind Regards

Stuart

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)