Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Powering repeaters in the field.. [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Powering repeaters in the field..

Jeremy Nako
19-07-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm looking to go to a totally wireless transfer system for my outdoor setup.

Thanks to some help and recommendations from forum regulars and Solewise I now have most of the hardware and system in place to do this for my setup.

I will need to have two repeaters out in the field (literally). The repeaters that I've purchased run on a 24v supply which needs to be powered throughout the day.

I *can* use standard car batteries to power the repeaters, but I'd rather have a more 'elegant' or 'packaged' power source which I'm struggling to find.

So.. those (and I appreciate that there aren't many of you) who do this, can anyone point me towards a weather-sealed 24v battery / hardware / power source ?

Philip_Atkinson
19-07-2012, 11:16 AM
I was shooting at a triathlon on Sunday and I was chatting to the timing chip bloke.

He was talking about his set up and he pointed out the batteries he was using. Probably what you are after - he said that they will last an entire day on a charge.

So, not able to help specifically but perhaps a search for suppliers of timing equipment may work for you.

Cheers,

Phil

Jeremy Nako
19-07-2012, 11:20 AM
I'll explore that avenue - thanks Phil.

Any more ?

ian griffiths
19-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Hi Jeremy,

Alarm batteries will last a full weekend powering a switch.

Can get them at Maplins but can be found cheaper at RS Components.

Jeremy Nako
19-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Hey Ian

I *think* alarm batteries are mostly 12v, but I'll check.

J

simon coates
19-07-2012, 12:16 PM
I'd recommend the deployment of a team of highly-trained gerbils in 24v gerbil generator wheels.....

Look out for my appearance on Dragons' Den ;)

Simon

Jeremy Nako
19-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Of all the places on TV that I might expect to see an appearance from you Simon, Dragons Den wasn't the first that sprang to mind...

Has anyone seen the new series of "Escaped from Rampton"..?

john wright
19-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Hi Jeremy

Give me a call and I can run through what we do. Easier on the phone.

Cheers

John

Jeremy Nako
19-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Cheers John

Will call tomorrow when I'm back in the office if that's ok ?

J

john wright
19-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Tomorrows fine Jeremy.

It will get me away from processing images for a while :-)

Of course you can always drop in if you are passing Christchurch and I can show you our set up.

Cheers

John

Jeremy Nako
19-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Hmmmm... now there's a thought...

Will call tomorrow to discuss John.

J

ian griffiths
19-07-2012, 01:07 PM
You could always wire two in series if you struggle to find a suitable 24v unit.

Mark Eaton
21-07-2012, 06:34 AM
2 12v gel batteries wired together. Smaller lighter than car battery. Last all weekend.

Mark

Mark Eaton
21-07-2012, 06:36 AM
However I am looking to green my business so currently investigating the size of solar panel I need to attach to my hat to power the Engenuos units.

Mark

john christopher
24-07-2012, 02:52 PM
However I am looking to green my business so currently investigating the size of solar panel I need to attach to my hat to power the Engenuos units.

Mark

(With the exception of the current heat wave) Mark, are you mad? Remember, this is Blighty and we don't see sunshine in the UK. LOL!

John

Mark Eaton
24-07-2012, 04:28 PM
John,

well how about a dynamo attached to a bike and you come pedal it for me, you could do with a work out!!!!!!

Love Mark.

john christopher
25-07-2012, 02:48 PM
John,

well how about a dynamo attached to a bike and you come pedal it for me, you could do with a work out!!!!!!

Love Mark.

That might work! With the Pale Dude standing over me with a bull whip for those moments when I slack off! LOL.

John

ian griffiths
25-07-2012, 03:23 PM
DARK DUDE, STOP IT!

I'm very concerned you have mental images of me standing over you with a bull whip.

I like you a lot but buddy, there's a line!

samuelwaters
25-07-2012, 05:36 PM
i have seen and purchased battery and inverter kits from Maplins.
they are deidbed for starting cars, but i have poweres lamps etc outdoors of them for hours.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/5-in-1-jump-starter-with-portable-power-224871