Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
DNP not printing good blacks [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DNP not printing good blacks

Proinsias Tully
11-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Hi, Just did some low key lighting setups using the Pellior Noire Backdrop. Look great on screen, but I am not getting good blacks from the DNP printer. Is there anything obvious I should be looking out for. I will review my lighting setup as well. Proinsias

Mike Weeks
11-06-2012, 02:05 PM
It most likely is not the printer, it is probably what you are seeing on screen that is wrong and I would say this for any brand and model of printer. Have you tried creating a complete black image in photoshop and printing that? If a genuine photoshop black won't print black then some more work is needed.

Mike

Proinsias Tully
11-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Hi Mike, Just printed a pure black border on the print and can see that is it more of a lighting issue. There was a small halogen light above us that I had covered up as we could not switch it off as there were 10 lights on the switch. But there is some spill onto the background. In the short term I will use the old fashioned dodge and burn technique to get better blacks. Proinsias

Mike Weeks
11-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Sometimes what looks black on screen will not print black and this is the only surefire way I know of resolving the issue.

Mike

Proinsias Tully
11-06-2012, 03:41 PM
For Lightroom users, this is a nice video on adjusting blacks, http://lightroom-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/blackisblack2-low.mov

Proinsias