Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Cheap flight boxes [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cheap flight boxes

03-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Machine Mart have "Aluminium Storage Cases" in with locking clasps, recessed handles, foam interior etc. The Medium size is £45.98 and large enough to fit the OP1000 in it. Theres room to get an extension cord and leads in around the printer, and the lid is quite deep so I'll be putting a cargo net in it for the other accessories.

They aren't super tough and won't take being dropped from a plane, but they are good enough if you are a bit more careful with your kit. I'll be putting some extra foam in the bottom (tool draw matting) to give it a bit extra protection. The small size (£37.94) is a good size for a couple of rolls of print media, a laptop, keyboard, mouse, and a few other bits.

I know they'll never be as good as the custom built ones, but they are better than the cardboard box the printer gets delivered in.

Hope this helps someone. Wish I'd found them before I built my own wooden box (which is now going to be retired to use as a plant pot!)

steph burnett
03-09-2009, 05:51 PM
cool! great idea that - machine mart is not one of my most visited shops so would never have thought to look there LOL!

Yanis
03-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Thank you!
That's so lovely that we support each other...
I use aluminium tool case from Lidl, just for carring strut mounts, some wires, tape, extension cable, clear front bags for pictures, print catcher. Professional looking (for customer) and convinient for EPhotographer.
And now I need some good looking case for printer... and would be good to have for monitor...

03-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Glad to be of help.

Yanis, I'm getting a small box and putting a couple of plywood dividers in it for carrying 17" monitors in. Just use some self-tapping screws through the box to secure a wooden frame inside should do the job. Again, cargo nets in the lid for cables, stands etc.

john christopher
04-09-2009, 03:40 AM
Martin

When you've done with all your modifications on your " Flight Case", do us all a favour and send in a couple of jpegs. Too many event photographers carry around their equipment "naked" and totally unprotected from the world. Given that a dye sub represents a major investment for all of us and now your excellent suggestion, I really can't see any excuse. I brought my last flight case off ebay for less than £30.00. Throwing your stuff in the back of the car to make a quick exit is just plain stupid. That goes twice for the rest of your equipment as well, light, camera's, computers etc. I have a colleague who will remain unnamed who simply can't see the connection between his mistreatment of his gear and his ever raising repair bill. Don't figure! :diff:

Mark Amies
04-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Just one point here- if you are going to use the printer in a carrying box, make sure you have plenty of air space around the machine, and that you are not blocking off cooling vents - absolutely VITAL!!.

04-09-2009, 07:40 AM
John, I will post pics after next week. I'd never dream of just throwing my kit in the back of the van... :o I used to run a Sunday market stall selling raditional sweets. We had 40 "under the bed boxes" which we laid the bags of sweets in with cardboard divders/signs between the different ones. It was great, you just put the boxes on the tables and took off the lids. At the end of the day you popped the lids on and stacked them in the back of the van. It's quicker to pack stuff away properly than it is to throw it in, I've learnd that much over the years.

Mark - good point. I should have mentioned these boxes have hinged lids at the top, so you couldn't run a printer in the box.

john christopher
04-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Yo Martin

I wasn't critiquing you in particular but photographers in general. As for Mark's point about ventilation, it's a god one but I can't see any reason why said vents couldn't be cut and mounted on to the box. I'm a bit miffed why you think you couldn't run a printer from this case. Given dimensions, my printer could stand upright in the box, with the door swung out of the way, with plenty of room to spare. But I'll stand corrected IF I'm proved wrong.

04-09-2009, 09:17 AM
HI John, didn't take it as critique. You are right, you could stand the box up I guess. The lid has stays to stop it opening all of the way back but could be modified ;)

I might be using one as a "server" box yet. Have al my leads, network switch and WYSE units secured in it under the table, with the cables coming out to the laptop and monitors.

john christopher
04-09-2009, 12:33 PM
In that case it could be a good idea to wire in one or two of those PC cooling fans into the case which are used in towers and desktops.

04-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Maybe, yeah. I was thinking of just leaving the lid open though :D Will get photos sorted end of next week.

I have the IT guy coming round on Tuesday, and I've sourced some excellent monitors, so fingers crossed we shall be all sorted :roll: Where have I said THAT before... :cry:

john christopher
14-09-2009, 12:42 PM
OK! Where are the photo's of the finished project?

19-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Well it's sort of finished. I've made a temporary job of it for now, do a couple of events and then finally secure it all as required. It's not 100% as simple as I'd like, there are quite a lot more cables than I realised! Stil, I'm pretty happy at the moment.

I am not able to upload pics to here though, sorry dude :roll:

19-09-2009, 10:01 AM
You can have a quick look here if you like:

http://www.box.net/shared/a041fr4227

http://www.box.net/shared/izjzln1foc

Taken at home, so not the finsihed set-up. We obviously have a nice table, banner, signs, etc. The box will live under the table and holds the monitors. So we lift the lid, put the monitiors on the table, plug the lead in, plug the laptop in and we're away. It's not possible to do a complete "all-in-one" solution like this, as the monitor leads etc are quite heavy, not very flexible etc so need to be disconnected. Everything lives in the box with room for the laptop and a keyboard in case one of the WYSE units goes wrong.

As I say, a little more perfecting to do (don't want to make it to permanent at this time in case it needs adjustments) but it's on the way :D

john christopher
21-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks Martin for the pictures and very nice they are too!

Nice Monitors! On even better (space saving) stands. This solution would make a really nice addition for my IBM Thinkpad system. Pray tell, what make of monitors are they? And how much did they cost. Currently I use 17" Dell Monitors but their stands really cause a problem when transporting them.

Mark Amies
21-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Like the mousemats Martin!!

21-09-2009, 06:13 PM
John, the monitors are AG-Neovo,I got mine used for £90 but they are available new:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/1099553/A ... oduct.html (http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/1099553/AG-Neovo-E-17DA-17-TFT-Monitor/Product.html)

Mark, we thought that it gave a homely feel. It's a bugger getting the dining table in the van though!

Trudy Trafford
23-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Hi Martin,

Nice job!!

Out of interest what viewing software are you running?

23-09-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm using photo web album, and publishing to a folder rather than the web. The customer sees what is effectively a web gallery. We're sticking to a good old notepad system and a large box of pens for ordering :geek:

andy scothern
27-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Hi I must say these boxers from machine mart are great and they are on offer,so I bought 2 and i am now making a box up like Martin has done with all the IT gear and another to house the Flash heads and other fragile equipment.

Thanks For the info it has saved me some money and time. I will get some pics loaded up for you all to see.

:diff:

Andy

28-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Glad to be of help. I will be buying some more over time I'm sure :)

john christopher
17-11-2009, 03:43 PM
BTW: Martin

What make and model of Wyse Terminals are you using? I like the fact they lie flat in the lid of the box. Another great space saving idea from you, me thinks!

Alan Warner
18-11-2009, 09:22 AM
It makes sense to keep the printers in some form of case whether it be a s/h ebay special or bespoke £400+ touch,

its protecting the part that actually makes us the money !

Al007

19-11-2009, 01:47 PM
BTW: Martin

What make and model of Wyse Terminals are you using? I like the fact they lie flat in the lid of the box. Another great space saving idea from you, me thinks!

They are the WYSE 1200LE.

21-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Hi all,

I see you were all chatting about Cheap cases a while ago.

I come form a concert touring background and have lived in many flightcases!!

Swan Flight make custom cases for much less than you think. I have had loads made by these guys and they are top spec.

Examples:
Kodak 6850 printer case £135.00, all fully foamed out. Printed dropped straight in (snugg)
Custom case to fit 5 Laptops with mice and PSUs £126.00, Again all foam lined.

These are all proper laminate Ply constuction with all the aluminium trim you need.

www.swanflight.com

These guys also have a standard "off the shelf" range of cases starting from about £35.00 for all your bits and bobs

I couldn't find the bits to build a case for anywhere near these prices.

If you email them a little drawing with all the measurements you'll get a quote within 24hrs and the case made within a week. AND BEST OF ALL they're in the UK.

Just thought it was worth a mention.

john christopher
12-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Yo Martin

I've just checked out the Swan website ( http://www.swanflight.com/) as I'm in the market for a flight case for five 17" TFT Dell monitors/stands, five wyse terminals and ALL their power supplies. Are you sure about these prices?