Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Something a little different for me.... [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Something a little different for me....

simon coates
03-04-2012, 10:52 AM
We were invited along to a local dance school's 'big show' yesterday. Due to the timings, we didn't get chance to get in with the studio or lights and the pictures were all taken from the auditorium during the performance.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on the pics - just so long as you think they are brilliant!! ;)

Simon

Jeremy Nako
03-04-2012, 12:25 PM
When I saw the thread title I thought we were going to get some images in focus...

Jesting of course - they're cracking shots !

Mark Amies
03-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Nicely 'Frozen' in time Simon.

ian griffiths
03-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Simon,

If you don't make a killing on these then there is no justice in this world!

I do several "Performing Arts" schools productions, I shoot at full dress rehearsal in the afternoon and sell on opening night, never had a poor night, last one in Feb was over 600 for a dreary Tuesday night! No drunks, no idiots just lots of happy customers.

"Granny packages" sold well as did 12"x 8" group shots.

simon coates
03-04-2012, 04:10 PM
It was unfortunate that the school only approached me last Wednesday to see if I could cover their show. The dress rehearsal was on Sunday, but I'd another job on so I couldn't get there. The theatre is tiny and the only place I'd have had room to do studio shots was on the stage, so that was a non-starter last night! The final night of the show is tonight, but I've another job on. As a result, I am having to rely on web sales. Not ideal, but it was an easy enough job to do. I've already had enquiries asking for portfolio shots for those that are aiming for the big screen and the west end.

Simon

ian griffiths
03-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Trading on peoples aspirations and ego's is such an easy sell!! Go for it!

john christopher
03-04-2012, 07:52 PM
The first words that came out of Sharon's mouth on seeing these pictures were : "They're so sweet". I'm off to the toilet to throw up. LOL!

How exactly Simon did you light it?

John

ian griffiths
03-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Dark Dude!!

Available stage lighting and a higher ISO, get some great effects.

How you doing buddy?

john christopher
04-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Dark Dude!!

Available stage lighting and a higher ISO, get some great effects.

How you doing buddy?

Me

I've got a broken back. No money after paying out near 700 to get my car MOTed and serviced and equipment that hasn't been looked at in ages. Apart from that Sharon is fine! Oh and like you, I shoot with a Canon and as you know Canons are crap at shooting low light at high ISO/ASA. It's jobs/lighting conditions like these that cry out NIKON!

John

ian griffiths
05-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Dude,

Good to hear Sharon is still giving you an ear full! When you both coming back up here to do that Curry Goat?

Hear what you are saying about Canon/Nikon in low light but at the front of a well lit stage I think you'd be surprised at just how much light there is, just looking at some I did back in 2007 on an 1d (4.2) OK the grain for 400 iso compared to today is poor but I think it works especially when you print B&W, looks like HP5 pushed a stop.

Exif says 1/160th at f2.8 at 400 iso.

If you want to have a go next time I'm doing a production shoot come up and join in. It's usually midweek late afternoon.

Paul Saban
05-04-2012, 09:10 AM
A challenge well met. Very nice piece of work.
Well done,
Paul Saban

Duncan Harris
05-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Hi Ian

If it's an open offer I'd like to come up next time you have a production. I'd like to see how the 5dmk3 (yet to be delivered) does the job. If john comes up we might be able to also find a track and do his favourite sport lol.

John - Really good to hear Sharon is fine and probably keeping you under control.

simon coates
05-04-2012, 03:19 PM
If you don't make a killing on these then there is no justice in this world!

Well, we've had one customer order 27 9x6 an 1 12x8 of their daughter, so it's not too bad :)

Simon

Les Perry
05-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Duncan

Hope you will not be dissapointed with 5Dmk3, have had a long play with one today.

After listening to the hype and some very specific questions on the focusing thought it could be a good event camera and at a more reasonable price to the 1DX

however in the dimly lit hall , similar to these stage shots settings the auto focus was still very slow and hesitant to locate and obtain a lock.

The 1DX also available was far superior in finding and locking focus.

Was very surprised in performance difference as Canon say they have virtually the same system, though the 1DX does see it in colour and can track by colour as well as contrast, would still say the 7D aquires focus better than 5Dmk3 in these conditions

Mind you the quiet function in both single and multiple shot on 5Dmk3 would be great advantage at these events .

Duncan Harris
05-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Hi Les

I don't think I'll be disappointed as my expectations are about as you describe (have played with one). It's not instead of a Dx, it's to replace my 40d, next is to replace my 1dmk2n but as I've also completely replaced my studio flash, brought another lens and a G12 buying a Dx will just have to wait a little while :-(. I compared my 2n with the mk4 and was disappointed with the difference for the investment but after playing with the Dx I'd love to buy one now but my equipment account needs to recover from the recent onslaught !!

Just been reading this 5d3 review by a Nikon user which I thought was interesting http://www.ryanbrenizer.com/2012/03/a-nikon-users-review-of-the-canon-5d-mark-iii/

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Les Perry
05-04-2012, 11:27 PM
hi Duncan

Heard you had been a little under the weather, now I know why if you have been opening your wallet

Interesting review there

have always found canon to focus quicker than Nikon in pro range, though it does not hold it as well when tracking.

several Nikon users I know have been looking forward to the D4 as D3s may have great noise levels but was a poor performer in focusing in low light conditions

Just been testing my new g1x noise and image quality is looking superb in low light conditions, no shutter noise so very discreet, sharp and a distinct dof, though it will make your new 5d focusing look like lightning

Duncan Harris
06-04-2012, 09:18 AM
"Open my wallet" - by the time The Flash Centre and Camerworld had finished they turned my wallet upside down and squeezed the last penny out I had to send the kids out to pick a pocket or two (attempt to get back on the performing arts topic :-) )

I was waiting from last August (normal time for a G release) for the new G, the G1x spec looks fantastic but my reason to buy one was a carry around with good quality, manual control and to be unconspicuous and pocketable where the G1x had grown. Enjoy, on paper looks very nice.

Sorry Simon, Les has been very naughty going off topic :-).

Simon & Ian very nice images, as said deserving good sales.

I've thought before would like to start covering some productions, about 20 years ago I did a few amateur productions, using Tri-x and Ektacolor under exposed by 1 to 2 stops and pushed in processing. Shot at dress rehearsals, printed then sold on the night, didn't know I was doing Event Photography at the time !!

I'd love to hear/see what people are shooting including studio set-up plus the way sold on the night, viewing stations or preprint ? I would have thought because of the very short timeslots to sell (before start, interval and after) that preprint plus take orders for extras would be the way to go.

I have in the loft a picture of me in a school production of Pirates of the Penzance shot by my Dad but I won't be posting that. My Dad was a fashion photography but when he was starting up he shot professional productions to produce images for outside the theatres and for PR releases, don't know where they are now but a lot were from Blackpool, the big dancing shows with all the scantly dressed girls with feathers. Must have a search in the loft.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Richard Chaff
06-04-2012, 09:25 AM
<snip>
D3s may have great noise levels but was a poor performer in focusing in low light conditions
<snip>

That is not my experience, Les.

john christopher
06-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Hi Ian

If it's an open offer I'd like to come up next time you have a production. I'd like to see how the 5dmk3 (yet to be delivered) does the job. If john comes up we might be able to also find a track and do his favourite sport lol.

John - Really good to hear Sharon is fine and probably keeping you under control.

Duncan

What is it with you wanting to inflict more pain on my already fragile body? And Sharon keeping the Dudemeister under control, I don't think so. And why would I pay 4k for a brand new Canon when I can buy a second hand Nikon D700 and a 24-70VS and do the same thing for less than half the price? Events photography is exactly that "events", which could mean anything where more than 200 people have congregated in the same place and at the same time. And Simon has proved a valid point by still managing to make money by photographing the rehearsals and then selling them during the actual event. That's just good business sense.....

John

Les Perry
06-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Sorry for going off topic and goood to see some nice images generated with what is available outside your control. Have in the past found this sort of work very rewarding both in terms of finances and personnel satisfaction

Just one quick reply to Richard then I'll be off

Both Andy Rouse and Mark Pain metioned it at the Nikon talks at Focus NEC and have another friend who shoots a lot of bands in dimly lit pubs and other venues who also finds it a difficulty.

As with many things in photography peoples experiences can be quite different with the same equipment, suppose the same applies with all mechanical objects, take cars for instance.Peoples expectations probably have a bearing on this.

OK thats it, now talking about cars

Richard Chaff
06-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Just one quick reply to Les

Peoples expectations probably have a bearing on this.

My expectations run to expecting performance in very dimly-lit indoor equestrian centres with moving subjects - and getting it.

Other's mileage may vary :)

simon coates
06-04-2012, 12:31 PM
I'd just like to remind all contributors that this thread is supposed to be praising my undeniable mastery of stage show photography, not debating the various pros and cons of cameras I can't afford! :)

Simon the egotist

Les Perry
06-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Simon the egotist

Your undeniable mastery is sure to bring you just rewards, with the monies rolling in you will be searching for this post to see what best to spend your new found wealth on.

We are just trying to be pro-active and save you time when you are rich and famous :@]

simon coates
06-04-2012, 07:44 PM
We are just trying to be pro-active and save you time when you are rich and famous :@]

Touche!

Simon