Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Wireless File transfer for 7D [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Wireless File transfer for 7D

geofftustin
26-02-2012, 11:22 AM
After doing my first couple of events and with a few more booked I want to go wireless to transfer my images to my laptop but have heard bad reports about the very expensive WFT E5A. Can anyonne offer any thoughts on the equipment or any alternative? Thanks

Paul Rogers
26-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Geoff

A much cheaper option is an Eye-Fi card (approx 75). Ideal for short distances (5-10m)

You will need a CF card adapter to house the Eye-fi card to run it in your 7D

Graham Taylor
26-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Geoff

A much cheaper option is an Eye-Fi card (approx 75). Ideal for short distances (5-10m)

You will need a CF card adapter to house the Eye-fi card to run it in your 7D

Plus if you drop it it doesnt break! :???:

Allan Blackett
26-02-2012, 09:46 PM
I had heard the eye-fi doesnt work with the 7D. I've been keen to get one, but put off by the reports of problems. Has anyone tried it?

Paul Rogers
26-02-2012, 10:11 PM
It will work with an adapter for your classic Eye-Fi card.

Good article on the Rob Galbraith site http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10055-10851-10852

john christopher
27-02-2012, 01:41 AM
I will reiterate what Paul has said in his previous post. Any Eye Fi Card with the letter "X" and the number "2" printed on it, should be avoided at all cost. Compared to Nikon, the price of the Canon Wireless File Transmitters are nothing short of a disgrace. Currently the WFT-E1 is Canon's ONLY WFT which is compatible with multiple DSLR's. That's why I won't be selling my 5D and 30D anytime soon. The beans counters at Canon HQ should hold their heads in shame.

John

Jase Moody
27-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Compared to Nikon, the price of the Canon Wireless File Transmitters are nothing short of a disgrace.

John

I have just done a quick google for Nikon Wireless file transmitters and they are coming up as 400 plus, which to be truthful is the same sort of price I paid for my Canon WFT for my 7D.

As to the Eye Fi card, we bought a couple thinking they were a much cheaper option, and they are if you take a couple of shots then have a 3 or 4 minute wait before shooting again, if you are doing any work where you keep shooting then forget the Eye-Fi because it cannot transmit and shoot at the same time, I carried out a recent test where I was rattling off shots everyone 15 seconds or so, the eye fi card took 15 minutes to transmit the first half dozen photos, and then only after I stopped shooting, the canon WFT I have been trying out basically transmits the files as I shoot them.

geofftustin
27-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Thanks Jason

So you have the 7D with the canon WFT transmitter? How do you find it? I will buy one if it can be trusted but
as I said I have heard there are sometimes problems using it.

Mike Weeks
27-02-2012, 08:43 AM
I have just done a quick google for Nikon Wireless file transmitters and they are coming up as 400 plus, which to be truthful is the same sort of price I paid for my Canon WFT for my 7D.

As to the Eye Fi card, we bought a couple thinking they were a much cheaper option, and they are if you take a couple of shots then have a 3 or 4 minute wait before shooting again, if you are doing any work where you keep shooting then forget the Eye-Fi because it cannot transmit and shoot at the same time, I carried out a recent test where I was rattling off shots everyone 15 seconds or so, the eye fi card took 15 minutes to transmit the first half dozen photos, and then only after I stopped shooting, the canon WFT I have been trying out basically transmits the files as I shoot them.

One issue that has come up in the past is file size, not saying it is the case here but optimising to about a 1-1.5 MB JPEG can make everything work OK. Another way of improving EYE-Fi speed is the quality of the wireless link such as positioning of the receiver, using an engenius instead of a bulk standard wireless point and the list goes on.

Mike

Paul Rogers
27-02-2012, 12:10 PM

What camera are you using? I use the canon 1D mkIII and have only had this sort of thing happen once, and that was because I had the Eye-Gi card in my 1DS mkIII by mistake and was transmitting 8MB+ files!! Also are you using the 8GB pro x2 or the 4GB? It needs to be the 8GB pro x2 for the speed aspect and it also means you can transmit on the 801n frequency which is far superior.

Jase Moody
27-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks Jason

So you have the 7D with the canon WFT transmitter? How do you find it? I will buy one if it can be trusted but
as I said I have heard there are sometimes problems using it.

It was a bit of a chew on getting it set up, but since then it has worked flawlessly and I am well impressed with them.

Re the eye fi card Paul, we are (or were) using the 8gb pro cards. I take your point about reducing the resolution for smaller file sizes, but to do this I would have to have the camera then store RAW files so that we could process them for upload to our website where people can purchase enlarged copies of their prints, at the end of the day when we can have anything upto a thousand shots taken on 1 snow globe and we may have 2 or 3 on the go that is extra work for someone, with the WFT we simply set the computers to upload straight to the website when we are finished for the day, and if we are somewhere with a wifi connection they can upload as they are being taken.

Mike Weeks
27-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Jase,

I have a 6 foot poster made from a 1.5MB JPEG, it is not just size but also quality - done in the right way there is no issue if you get everything else right in camera.

Mike

Paul Rogers
27-02-2012, 06:49 PM
It was a bit of a chew on getting it set up, but since then it has worked flawlessly and I am well impressed with them.

Re the eye fi card Paul, we are (or were) using the 8gb pro cards. I take your point about reducing the resolution for smaller file sizes, but to do this I would have to have the camera then store RAW files so that we could process them for upload to our website where people can purchase enlarged copies of their prints, at the end of the day when we can have anything upto a thousand shots taken on 1 snow globe and we may have 2 or 3 on the go that is extra work for someone, with the WFT we simply set the computers to upload straight to the website when we are finished for the day, and if we are somewhere with a wifi connection they can upload as they are being taken.

Jase

We transmit files between 1.5 - 2.5MB no problem. And they are ample enough for large canvases. We use Photocart and could use Dave's uploader to automatically resize the images to your nominated size and also generates the thumbnails as they upload direct to the website. No resizing to do, all automated.

Paul Rogers
27-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Just another point while I remember. To anyone using wireless transmitting, I hear so many people say to reduce the file size to below 1MB for speed of transmission. Lightning wireless speed is not vital in your workflow, as long at the images aren't taking minutes instead of seconds. It will take your customers a free seconds to get to your printer station anyway; and hopefully as the photographer, if you are managing your printer queue well, the guests will possibly have a few minutes to wait when they get into the queue. Therefore, having blistering transfer rates of under 0.5 second isn't necessarily crucial. Remember, the slowest part of any workflow is customers choosing. So even if you are having to card swap, your customers shouldn't be waiting for their images. Wireless is a convenience and wow factor primarily, in my opinion.

Jase Moody
27-02-2012, 07:52 PM
I,ll give them another go Paul and see if they are any better with the file size reduced right down. To be truthful the couple of times we tried it on a live job we ended up having to refund peoples money because they were sick of waiting.

Paul Rogers
27-02-2012, 08:08 PM
What size files are you transmitting at the moment?

Jase Moody
27-02-2012, 08:48 PM
What size files are you transmitting at the moment?

At the minute we use the eye fi cards as spare SD cards. With the Canon WFT we have it set to store RAW files on the CF card and transmit full sized jpegs only which seems to work perfectly well.

john christopher
28-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Jase

Are your Eye Fi cards the X2 type or the older "classics"? If they are the older classics give me a bell. Apart from the 1D series of Canon Pro cameras and DSLR's which have a native SD card interface, the X2 cards are useless.....

John

Jase Moody
29-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Hi John

our cards are the X2 type, however they were bought to use in our 60D cameras, not the 7D's. Another forum member explained what was wrong with the Eye fi card, basically you take a picture and it writes the image to the card, the card then transmits the image via wi fi. However if you take another picture whilst the card is transmitting, it stops transmitting to write the new image to the card, so if you keep snapping away the card has to continually stop so that it can write new images to memory. When we tried using one with our snow globe setup it worked perfectly well and quickly enough when we were not busy, once we had a queue of people and we were zipping them through it basically stopped working as the camera was never unused long enough for the images to be transmitted.

The WFT works differently as it transmits the images even when new images are being written to memory so basically we could just keep snapping away without worrying about waiting for files to transmit.

john christopher
29-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Hi John

our cards are the X2 type, however they were bought to use in our 60D cameras, not the 7D's. Another forum member explained what was wrong with the Eye fi card, basically you take a picture and it writes the image to the card, the card then transmits the image via wi fi. However if you take another picture whilst the card is transmitting, it stops transmitting to write the new image to the card, so if you keep snapping away the card has to continually stop so that it can write new images to memory. When we tried using one with our snow globe setup it worked perfectly well and quickly enough when we were not busy, once we had a queue of people and we were zipping them through it basically stopped working as the camera was never unused long enough for the images to be transmitted.

The WFT works differently as it transmits the images even when new images are being written to memory so basically we could just keep snapping away without worrying about waiting for files to transmit.

Jase

I don't shoot RAW. Period!

Hand on heart, in the two years that I've been using a Classic 2gb Explore Eye Fi card (via an adapter in a Canon 10D) the above has never happened to me. My advice (along with Paul and Mike's) is to lower your resolution and adjust your workflow to suit. There is simply no logical reason for you to be shooting raw files in a snow globe. Otherwise get yourself something like a 1D MKIII and setup the camera to output jpegs to the Eye Fi card while copying Raw files to a Compact Flash card. But remember even then you'll have a buffering issue. I can shoot 1.5mb jpegs all day on a busy day and never come up against the buffer. BTW: Were one of your guys plying their trade along Oxford Street, last Christmas?

John

Jase Moody
29-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Im not transmitting Raw John only Jpegs the Raw files are left on the card, so would turning raw off still speed things up?

john christopher
29-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Jase

If you shoot RAW files and you run up against the buffer, you're stuffed until the buffer is cleared. Period. Shooting Jpegs doesn't mean that you won't get buffered, it only means that it will take a whole heap longer in getting there. Your choice?

John

john christopher
29-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Wireless is a convenience and wow factor primarily, in my opinion.

Shame on you Paul. Remember I'm the EPS Health and Safety tsar and if trailing cables isn't a safety issue, I don't know what is......

One de-merit has duly been entered into your copy book.

Sgt Rock

Jase Moody
01-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Jase

If you shoot RAW files and you run up against the buffer, you're stuffed until the buffer is cleared. Period. Shooting Jpegs doesn't mean that you won't get buffered, it only means that it will take a whole heap longer in getting there. Your choice?

John

John I understand what you are saying regarding RAW, we are shooting a steady stream of images but not in a rapid fire fashion, from what I can see the problem isnt one of buffering, the camera has written the files to the card, it is in the fact that whenever another shot is taken, the card stops transmitting to deal with the new shot.

Now I am sure that many people find the eye fi card perfectly acceptable. However the original question here was is the Canon WFT any good, having used both systems I personally dont think there is a comparison, yes the WFT is a lot more expensive than the Eye Fi, but it is also far faster and has a heck of a lot longer range, less drop out problems, doesnt need an internet connection to make any changes to its set up and for me is well worth the extra money.

My Jaguar car and my bicycle will both get me from A to B, sure the car is a lot more expensive than the bike, but I know which I prefer for anything other than a quick trip to the village store.

As for the wireless is a wow factor quote, the way we had to set up our Snowglobe in Edinburgh meant we needed a 75ft cable to reach our sales cabin, a cable which would need to be strung across both the entrance and exit of the whole set up, also we discovered that some people wanted a long distance shot with the whole of the globe in the picture which meant stepping backwards about 15ft into the crowd, I dont think tethering would have worked. We could of course have added another member of staff to run the cards to the hut, however over the length of time we were there I figured that would have added over 2 grand to the wage bill, so the WFT at under 500 was a no brainer.

Another regular use we have for wireless is our paparazzi service where we wander about a venue taking shots which are transmitted back to a server that diplays a slideshow on various screens around the venue. Having tried that with both systems, we found that the Eye Fi requires the photographer to pretty much stop within line of site of the servers aeriels, whilst the wft armed guys have a lot more freedom of movement.

I might be out of order here, but I expect technology to be usuable the way I want to work, not for me to have to adapt my way of working to suit the technology, I may be fortunate in that company coffers allows me to buy a selection of WFT units in preference to the Eye Fi, but I like the way that the WFT bolts on to my camera and will work with whatever settings are dialled in regards resolution etc, I just think that suddenly having to turn 18mp cameras into 4mp cameras just to get an acceptable transmission speed isnt something I like.

Mike Weeks
01-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Jason,

I might be out of order here, but I expect technology to be usuable the way I want to work, not for me to have to adapt my way of working to suit the technology

for what you are saying the Canon transmitters are designed to do the work you want, the eye-fi cards were never designed with such use in mind - it is yet again event photographers that have taken something and put it to good use. I could show how you achieve very similar with the eye-fi card to what you require but it needs some add ons.

Mike

Jase Moody
02-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Jason,

it is yet again event photographers that have taken something and put it to good use.

Mike

and much Kudos to them for doing so Mike. I would like to see how to do something similar with Eye fi as we have a number of 60D cameras that Canon dont make a wft for. However like I said the original question on this thread was is the WFT for the 7D any good? Yes I think it is and I personally think it is a far more powerful solution than the Eye Fi card albeit at a much higher price.