Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
HiTi P510S [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HiTi P510S

21-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know whether you can hook up a monitor to this printer? Comments from anyone who has one of these would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Weeks
21-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Mike,

I think that these are so new to the market that the dealer is the best place for the answers. Having looked at the specs on-line it is somewhat of a mixed beast. It has the features of the older top end 730 gala type with a small LCD screen but with added roll-feed but at only 150 print capacity it has the smallest roll of all roll-fed machines. Speed is much better than the old 730s but not up there with the best roll-feds but at a price exceeding them. I can certainly see the market that it might be aimed at (back street newsagents or small chemists as a mini lab maybe) but dont see it as competition for a Mitsy 9800 or a DNP DS40. I really dont think a 3.6" screen is much good for image selection so you would have to add a computer and screen so you might as well get a good printer that is designed just for printing.

This is HiTis advert for the wireless version;wireless-setting.jpg which is not my idea of a camera for events and there is a kiosk version with a 10" screen which again would be no use at events but I think clearly demonstrates where this line was designed for.

It really reminds me of the multi-function printer devices due to the built in card reader etc.

Mike

Mark Amies
22-08-2009, 08:45 AM
We have got the machine, on the homepage of the Photomart website, look on the panel that has the 6x9 machines.

I would imagine that HiTi were looking at the sheet feed machines ( ie the 730PS in aprticular) as losing market share, and that they needed a roll feed solution. It must have also been looking at the Sony SnapLab market. Roll fed machines are the way really.

Of course HiTi have a serious roll feed machine, in the form of the 710, but as Mike Weeks has mantioned this gives HiTi an entry into the small retailer market, the same territory that the basic SnapLab has held very well for the last three or more years.

I'm sure that the 510 turns up as a DNP machine too, but I need to check that.

Mark Amies
22-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Just checked DNP Europe's website

http://www.dnpphoto.eu/

and well, they have something very similar in design called the DS-A1.

Anyway, I have strayed, sorry. Mike ( Williams), I think you had called to speak to me at work on Thursday, but I never got your number, sorry, if it was yourself, were you going to ask me about this?

I am trying to work out why you would want to attach another screen? I would presume it would be to create a viewing station for the customer?.

Mike Weeks
22-08-2009, 09:08 AM
If you follow marks link and select that model you can see they are part of a range of micro/mini labs, as I said maybe not the obvious choice for event photographers but I am sure somebody will find that they work for them.

Mike

Stuart Morley
22-08-2009, 09:15 AM
quote="Mike Williams"]might as well get a good printer[/quote]

So given your experience of this printer are you suggesting that it isn't a good one them Mike. :-)

Given that it is the only printer that:

1) You can shoot wirelessly into (510Si) - I know of no other 6x9 printers at this price point that you can do this with – Making this a world first!

2) Like the highly successful 730PS it has an integrated screen. Many photographers used this screen (although the P510S screen is much bigger) for many a year quite successfully

3) It has a cassette based ribbon for easy loading and quick media change. Like the snaplab in fact - A neat idea that is long overdue.

4) Has a video output (not that it is needed IMHO) – I have used this with a projector on our training course and it worked well.

5) It is standalone without need for a PC – Again like the 730PS

6) Has built in templating functions for corporate branding etc

I would say that is something worth looking at to be honest. Best to keep an open mind in my opinion.

I think the fact that it has a smaller media capacity isn't really an issue. So you change the media every £1,500, the fact that the ribbon is in a cartridge makes life a lot easier.

As for screen size it is much bigger than the 730PS that people used before and bigger than some people's screen on the back of their SLR's.

As for print speed it it still faster than a CP9550DW which many people use and some use the slower CP9500 or even older machines. Speed isn't always an issue....How fast can you sell the prints anyway? If you are selling them every 21 seconds you are doing well! We are still using CP9550DWS with our IT5000's without the need for a faster alternative.

HiTi have one many awards (especially DIMA awards) - I think records serve that they have won many more than ANY other Dye Sub Manufacturer over the years.

So I would say keep an open mind and consider it amongst all the other manufacturers that are currently active within the market.

The 510K is more of a Kiosk but again can be used at an event without issue. You can daisy-chain printers off the back of it as well. (can be used in "back street" chemists as well of course :-)

In my opinion and having not only seen them, but used them in anger I think it is a neat bit of kit to be honest. Anyone considering a roll fed printer who for the same sort of money can get all the above features would be mad to discount it without first seeing it.

Kind Regards

Stuart Morley

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk

Mike Weeks
22-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Stuart,

if you have to quote me then please do not take out of context, what I said was
I really dont think a 3.6" screen is much good for image selection so you would have to add a computer and screen so you might as well get a good printer that is designed just for printing.

A 3.6" screen whilst larger than the screen on the 730 is still not that useful for a customer to select on so an additional viewing system is required and There is obviously the version with the 10" screen.

With nearly 30 years of engineering behind me and using that equipment in the toughest of environments I have learnt to avoid multi function devices, I buy the device that is best for a purpose - it is one of my guiding principles.

This printer obviously has a purpose but if you include the wireless option your price is £1500 and for that money I can have a 21" viewing screen, PC, DS40 printer & wireless so all of the functionality with a much larger screen. It is up to me as the photographer to make the choice, the product is novel and I am sure that it will find a market place.

Mike

Mark Amies
22-08-2009, 11:32 AM
With reference to Sony's SnapLab, we need to be aware that it is a family now ( of two), and there is the Super SnapLab.

So with reference to wireless, you can use the approved Silex device to shoot straight into the machine. On top of that SuperSnapLab has a decent sized screen, the ability to print 6x4, 7x5, and 6x8, in both gloss and lustre, with a 350 prints per roll at 6x8. It has card readers, and a disc reader writer.

I don't want to take anything away from what Stuart has said, but Sony's kit has been on the UK market at least, longer than the HiTi 510, and from what I can see- and please do challenge me, I don't see that the HiTi has much to beat it. Maybe on price, maybe on media price?

The only thing I will say about the SuperSnaplab, just like it's sister machine, is that that you can only print what you have on screen, there is no hard drive memory, which may prove frustrating from some event guys. In saying that though we have sold quite a few to eventers, and the reason why they like it is becuase it is very easy to operate and it is in a compact package.

Going back to thread start point though, I would be very interested to here the opinions of an event photographer who has bought the HiTi 510. Furthermore, I am wondering if Mr Williams question has been answered yet? I can check it out when I get back to the office on Monday, or I am sure Stuart could answer it.

Stuart Morley
22-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Sorry Mike I didn't want to quote you out of context

I just felt you were being a little harsh about the printer when it has a lot to offer for the price. When people read your comments about "back street chemists" and "not up there with the best roll-feds" and "you might as well get a good printer" some people might think that it is not a good printer and I am sure you want people to make up their own minds about it based on the facts.

Although the advert shows a small camera I am sure it is obvious to people that HiTi are not suggesting you use that camera for Event Photography - Further examination of their website shows instructions for Canon and Nikon wireless setup.

I accept your comments about multi function devices and I agree but this is just a printer with a built in screen not a multifunction device. Lots of people used the screen on the 730PS very successfully and yes it may not be as ideal as a multi screen system but then that's not what it is.

The 730PS had a card reader and that was very successful as an event printer. A lot of EP's started with it and made a lot of money.

Sure at £1500 you have other options and I am not denying that but then you are spending a lot more money.

People could take a P510s and go an do an event with it and not even need to buy a Laptop or Sofware (Like a lot of 730ps users did)

Leaving the wireless option aside, where else can you get all that functionality for that price?

Kind Regards

Stuart

Stuart Morley
22-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know whether you can hook up a monitor to this printer? Comments from anyone who has one of these would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Mike

Yes you can, there is a video out on the 510s, so you would have to go to something with a Video Input. The connection is via phono connection so you may need a phono to scart at the Tv end.

I have used it with a projector and got good results. Please note however that using an external screen means the internal one is disabled. So if you switch to external screen and that packs up, then you are working blind as switching back to the internal screen requires you to remember the menu layout. A power off will switch back to the internal screen however. The menu allows you to use PAL or NTSC

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Kind Regards

Stuart

23-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Hi Stuart,

Does it just have a memory card reader, or is there a USB port for attaching a camera directly, or an external hard drive fr example?

Stuart Morley
23-08-2009, 01:09 PM
There are memory slots for SD, MMC, MS, MS Pro, Compactflash I and II and Microdrive. There is also a USB port for USB pen drives and although I haven't managed to get a hard disk working (not given up though) I could plug in an external card reader and use xD cards etc. A USB memory stick also works of course.

This is how it works with certain cameras:

Canon G10 - Plug the usb into the cable and printer and the camera shuts down (lens retracts and you can't shoot anymore). All images on the card can then be displayed (.JPG only I think) and printed as if they were on a memory card.

D300 - This is where it gets clever. Plugging the camera into the printer allows the printer to view and print the card images. However you can still be using the camera to shoot new images!! While the printer allows you to view and print the images on the camera!. When the printing is done all the images that have been taken are shown once again on the camera including the new ones that where taken whilst printing.

So, You could in fact setup the camera and shoot tethered and the images would be available to the printer in the same way that it would be tethering to a PC.

I will do a bit more testing and report back.

Hope that makes sense!

Kind Regards

Stuart

23-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks to Mike and the trade guys for responding to my post. Ive just logged in after attending a couple of events over the weekend so apologies for coming back so late. My main concern with the printer was the integrated screen size but the ability to hook up a larger monitor is a big plus and may just swing it. Although I have a few IT guys that are glad to help me out now and again it would be good to know I could turn up at an event on my own and just print away without setting up networks etc. The roll feed quantity is an issue but may be worth it for the aforementioned less hassle factor. I also like the wireless compatibility, I do not have wireless yet but will definitely look to acquire it in the future and this would be very useful for black tie dos and the like if i ever expand from doing just sports and outdoor events.

Thanks again guys, I am very new to all this and am always heartened by the patience, time and effort people put into this forum to help others. I have learnt a massive amount reading others posts and having such a wealth of knowledge and advice at my fingertips has made me more confident and no doubt a better tog.

24-08-2009, 05:40 AM
Thanks Stuart, that sounds interesting.

Cheers, Martin

Stuart Morley
24-08-2009, 06:34 AM
To be honest I thought the USB on the front would be the usual "plug a USB memory stick" (which it is of course) but having seen and used it in this "new" mode, you're right it does open up a world of possibilities.

I will try with other cameras and report back. If testing proves successful then it would be a very neat solution.

Kind Regards

Stuart

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

Stuart Morley
25-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Also tried with D200 and works very well indeed.

It seems that it depends on which camera you use and how that camea handles it's USB port. I think most DSLR's will support this "tethered mode"

Just got the 510i (wireless model) in and are testing that...so more on that later.

Kind Regards

Stuart

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)