Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
DNP DS80 ribbon [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DNP DS80 ribbon

alistair_balharrie
24-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Question. Is it possible to get hold of the ribbon on its own. I have used the ribbon quicker than the paper a couple time now, it would be nice to use up the paper by having the opportunity to buy ribbons if needed.
Searched google but can't find anything.

Does anyone else have the problem of using ribbon faster than paper on these printers?

thanks
Alistair

Graham Taylor
24-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Alistair
You buy the ribbon and paper as a set. With every set there is more paper due to wastage (when loading) also it needs more on the roll to hold it in place as there is no core.

alistair_balharrie
24-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Graham,
Thanks. I have been printing 6x8 prints on the D80 for a couple events and it looks like it has only used half the paper per roll but all the ribbon.
This may be the result of the print size, but seems a waste.
I will be getting a D40 shortly so this may be more cost effective at 6x8.

If it was possible to get ribbons on there own i would reduce my wastage and improve cost.

cheers
Alistair

Graham Taylor
24-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Simple answer is no. All media is calculated to do xxx number of prints as stated in the tech info. As I already stated the "extra" paper is there for when you change/replace the media to allow for the sheets it cuts off which proberby are contaminated with finger prints and to hold the roll in place as no core. However when the ribbon runs out you could just replace that but then you'll fimd you will need to replace the paper shortly afterwards and so will be out of "sync". Is it worth it for a few extra prints?

Mike Weeks
25-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Alistair,

you have the possibility to print 2 of 8"x6" from the same 12"x8" ribbon section on the DS80, if you have only been printing 1 you have effectively been wasting half of the ribbon - the same would apply for any 12"x8" printer.

Look at page 15 of http://www.photomart.co.uk/content/contentextra/dnp/downloads/DS_PrinterDriverInstruction_For2K-XP_V3.10_English.pdf

Mike

Mark Amies
25-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Good answers there from Graham, thank you Graham!.

I can confirm that ribbons are not available seperately, sorry. If you print an image that is smaller than the prescribed media type, it will use up the whole colour panel area. It is possible to do 6x8's using the 12x8 media pack - there is a driver option.

Graham is right when he mentions that extra paper is always provided, as it is assumed that you will be handling the paper roll with your bare hands, andas such it will take off teh outer section of the roll when you put in in the first time, or if you change media packs over at any time.

The best thing to do is to use the right machine for the job you are doing, and so if you are going to be doing lots of 6x8's then use a DS40. Of course the DS40 is equipped to do 6x9", which is a more convenient dimension for event photographers, as it sits in the correct aspect ration fo rthe camera frame, and you don't need to compensate for cropping , as you would do with a stricyt 6x8 printer ( Kodak, Sony).

You are welcome to check in with me if you need any more help Alistair.