Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
DNP DS40 drop test [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DNP DS40 drop test

Peter McRobert
15-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Do not try this yourself.
On Sunday night after a 3 day Country & Western Event I was packing up in the wee small hours. I had already put the DS80 in the car and picked up the DS40 to put it on top of the DS80. The boot of my SUV is quite high but I cannot explain how the printer seemed to fly out of my hands, it put a score down the bumper, hit the tarmac on the switch corner and bounced twice.
I said something unmentionable (loudly) and didn't even want to pick it up.
It doesn't look good, lots of scrapes and the front door doesn't fit as neatly as before.
On Monday I couldn't bring myself to look at it.....
On Tuesday morning I opened the front door, removed the trimmings which were everywhere, otherwise it seemed not bad inside.
Checked with the status software and got normal feedback - wow.
The big test, selected 2 photos and hit print......
They came out perfectly, not even dust spots.
Impressive - it no longer looks good but surviving a drop from 3 feet and working cleanly is simply amazing.
Well done DNP.

Trudy Trafford
15-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Do not try this yourself.
On Sunday night after a 3 day Country & Western Event I was packing up in the wee small hours. I had already put the DS80 in the car and picked up the DS40 to put it on top of the DS80. The boot of my SUV is quite high but I cannot explain how the printer seemed to fly out of my hands, it put a score down the bumper, hit the tarmac on the switch corner and bounced twice.
I said something unmentionable (loudly) and didn't even want to pick it up.
It doesn't look good, lots of scrapes and the front door doesn't fit as neatly as before.
On Monday I couldn't bring myself to look at it.....
On Tuesday morning I opened the front door, removed the trimmings which were everywhere, otherwise it seemed not bad inside.
Checked with the status software and got normal feedback - wow.
The big test, selected 2 photos and hit print......
They came out perfectly, not even dust spots.
Impressive - it no longer looks good but surviving a drop from 3 feet and working cleanly is simply amazing.
Well done DNP.

PHEWWWWWW!! Glad it survived ok, I won't try ours out like that just yet though!!!!

I managed to crash into the van with my car on Sunday.... twice! That didn't survive quite as well. It was all Simon's fault though :)

Mark Amies
15-11-2011, 01:51 PM
I must admit I was a wee bit worried when I read the headline.

I think the expression is " Don't try this at home " , or in a car park , or anywhere for that matter!!

Certainly an endorsement of build quality there.

Graham Taylor
15-11-2011, 01:53 PM
I managed to crash into the van with my car on Sunday.... twice! That didn't survive quite as well. It was all Simon's fault though :)

Crashing once could happen to anyone but twice is just a female thing showing off that they can do it better than any man!!!

Poor Simon, was he even there?

Peter Martin-Turner
15-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Glad your printer survived, we all have these heart stopping moments occasionally. Mine was at a black tie do a couple of years ago. My usb tethered WT4 "wireless" adaptor was in dj pocket, shiny new D3 and 24-70mm lens on top of the printer on the table. Camera survived the bounce test, lens sadly did not.

@ Trudy 2 years ago we covered the local area BS 3 DAY show. Almost completely empty showground. My other half is in a hurry to get home, reverses her Volvo into one of the judges caravan's and pretty much trashes the entire rear end of the caravan. 2k damage to a caravan worth maybe 1k, yes they insisted it was repaired (WTF??) and a fair bit of collateral damage to the Volvo which I previously thought was unbreakable. I recall that was my fault on that occasion despite me being at a hunter trial 60 miles away at the time...

simon coates
15-11-2011, 02:08 PM
I am glad to hear that the DNP printers are actually as robust as they feel. Still, I look forward in anticipation for my modified flight case to be returned to house my brace of printers :)

Simon

Trudy Trafford
15-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Crashing once could happen to anyone but twice is just a female thing showing off that they can do it better than any man!!!

Poor Simon, was he even there?

Yes, he was unloading the van from a different job we had that day, just because its tight to open the back doors if he parks considerately, he decided to park at the top in the middle of the drive therefore blocking my bit of driveway. The first crunch broke the lights but I thought I'd just misjudged the tight turn, it never occurred to me that the van was actually blocking the drive, (so I drove forward and then reversed again!!) .... well not until Simon appeared from the back of the van shouting at me!! He knew I was on my way home, so he should have allowed for the fact I'm rubbish at reversing and even more so in the dark!!!

[QUOTE]@ Trudy 2 years ago we covered the local area BS 3 DAY show. Almost completely empty showground. My other half is in a hurry to get home, reverses her Volvo into one of the judges caravan's and pretty much trashes the entire rear end of the caravan. 2k damage to a caravan worth maybe 1k, yes they insisted it was repaired (WTF??) and a fair bit of collateral damage to the Volvo which I previously thought was unbreakable. I recall that was my fault on that occasion despite me being at a hunter trial 60 miles away at the time...[QUOTE]

oooopppsie! You should have rang to warn her Peter.... will you guys never learn!!!! :)

petethorp
15-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Glad your printer survived, we all have these heart stopping moments occasionally. Mine was at a black tie do a couple of years ago. My usb tethered WT4 "wireless" adaptor was in dj pocket, shiny new D3 and 24-70mm lens on top of the printer on the table. Camera survived the bounce test, lens sadly did not.

I've done exactly the same Peter... with a D3s! Talk about heart stopping.

Survived the test, though I wouldn't advocate a second go!

Ooops. Too late. I had to give it a second go at the start of this year and yes, once more it survived again!

Then, a week or so ago, I find that whilst in my bag, I have a tiny crack in one of the viewing screens.
That makes me so mad! They don't make D3s's like the old Nikon F's...

Graham Taylor
15-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Yes, he was unloading the van from a different job we had that day, just because its tight to open the back doors if he parks considerately, he decided to park at the top in the middle of the drive therefore blocking my bit of driveway. The first crunch broke the lights but I thought I'd just misjudged the tight turn, it never occurred to me that the van was actually blocking the drive, (so I drove forward and then reversed again!!) .... well not until Simon appeared from the back of the van shouting at me!! He knew I was on my way home, so he should have allowed for the fact I'm rubbish at reversing and even more so in the dark!!!

Yep cant argue with that, definately Simons fault!!!