Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
DNP DS40 output tray? [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DNP DS40 output tray?

Ian MacLachlan
01-11-2011, 10:48 AM
One of my lessons this weekend was to remove a print from the catcher as soon as it come out of the printer. We were printing 9x6 and my assistant was a little behind with mounting. Anyway printer jammed, I imagine due to the exit path being blocked.

Does anyone know if you can but a bigger catcher in the Uk or has anyone come up with a better diy solution? I know I can (did) remove the catcher, but it doesn't look very professional when prints are being spewed out onto the floor!

simon coates
01-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Does anyone know if you can but a bigger catcher in the Uk or has anyone come up with a better diy solution? I know I can (did) remove the catcher, but it doesn't look very professional when prints are being spewed out onto the floor!

We use wire desk-tidy trays, which we bought from Tesco. They are a smokey grey colour and match the printer nicely. They don't look at all home made. Honest.

Simon

Ian MacLachlan
01-11-2011, 10:53 AM
That sounds like a good idea Simon! Have you attached them to the printer somehow, or are they just on the table for the prints to drop into?

john wright
01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3005 (http://www.eventphotographersociety.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3005)

The trays are just wide enough and deep enough to push a little under the front feet of the printer.

Usual price is 6 but every so often they are on special at 3.

John

simon coates
01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
http://www.eventphotographersociety.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The trays are just wide enough and deep enough to push a little under the front feet of the printer.

John

That's the one! I knew I'd stolen the idea from a good source :lol:

Simon

Mark Ratcliffe
01-11-2011, 11:11 AM
[quote="john wright":3rs77aqv]http://www.eventphotographersociety.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John

That's the one! I knew I'd stolen the idea from a good source :lol:

Simon[/quote:3rs77aqv]

DOUBLE steal,i use them as well,they look good

Ian MacLachlan
01-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Cheers guys - off to Tesco!

Mark Amies
01-11-2011, 11:28 AM
I have put a useful link in the trade section on another alternative by the way.

john christopher
01-11-2011, 12:52 PM
I use two of these "Tesco" print catchers in my modular system, one for each printer and when I tell you they were made for the part, I'm not kidding and for the money..........Please, it's a no brainer.

John

AKA: The Dark Dude

Mark Amies
01-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Any chance we can get an image of this Tesco wonder please?

simon coates
01-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Any chance we can get an image of this Tesco wonder please?

There's a shot of it on the thread mentioned earlier:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3005

Simon

Mark Amies
01-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Just one thing , when using a non standard, non manufacturer recommended adaptation, be aware that any damage caused by using it , is under your responsibility.

Sorry for the boring lecture. But it is common sense.

jaceycarn
01-11-2011, 05:03 PM
We found that the DS40 & DS80 are great printers but have rotten trays. (Sorry Mark)
We went from catching the print as they were printed, sticking a label on the back, putting it to a food plastic bag (always slipping of the table on to the floor),
To having the printers in a wooden box (with air holes in, and a hole in the back for the electrics) a slide out piece of wood (from under the printer) with the frames on top of.
Frames in seal grip bags (customers can see the prints with out torching or dropping drink on the print.) The print comes out, land on top of the stack of frames, customer can see the size of the frames.

How we worked yesterday is not the way we will work tomorrow become today we will learn something new

Will upload photo of print box setup tomorrow

john wright
01-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Just one thing , when using a non standard, non manufacturer recommended adaptation, be aware that any damage caused by using it , is under your responsibility.

Sorry Mark but is the tray you sell specifically made for the DNP DS40/80 or is it made for the Mitsubishi and does it have both manufacturers approval?

Are you saying that if I should choose to catch the prints in a bucket that if the printer subsequently fails and I mention in passing that I use a bucket to catch the prints that the repair would not be covered by warranty?

Again, sorry Mark but I do not see how using one of these trays could in any way be seen as 'adapting' the machine.

Perhaps, if the manufacturers unit was better made (I have two and both of mine are broken) or if the recommended replacement was better priced then we would not seek other options. The tray I use just happens to be a perfect fit and sites neatly under the printer. You could even source a supply of them and perhaps use them as a standard replacement/alternative option.

John

Mark Amies
01-11-2011, 05:31 PM
OK, here we go.

Trays. Not every printer actually comes with a print output tray. Many of you guys will know this, with different manufacturers dealing with it in different ways. Some didn't come with any tray, some came with very good ones. I can think of some printers we sold in the recent past who had really quite pathetic manufacturer supplied trays, usually made of brittle plastic that broke as soon as look at them.

The point here is the main market for these machines is not event photography- that may shock you, but it is true. The main market , the biggest market, is the photo kiosk market. Now photo kiosks will normally have a print catcher built into the main construction of the kiosk, and therefore a tray is not required as a seperate item with the printer.

When you lok a printer like the DS40, there is very little drop from the output to the surface that the printer is stood on, and so producing a tray deep enough to take a bigger print is impractical. So there is a degree of 'Hobson's Choice'.

I wish there was a better solution, believe me. However whatever the sitaution , it has not been so much of a problem to stop people using the printer succesfully.

Whilst we look at the DNP DS40, I wonder with those who have it , the Mitsubsihi CPD70- how about the catcher on that?.

Mark Amies
01-11-2011, 05:35 PM
[quote="Mark Amies":bzhyt26r]Just one thing , when using a non standard, non manufacturer recommended adaptation, be aware that any damage caused by using it , is under your responsibility.

Sorry Mark but is the tray you sell specifically made for the DNP DS40/80 or is it made for the Mitsubishi and does it have both manufacturers approval?

Are you saying that if I should choose to catch the prints in a bucket that if the printer subsequently fails and I mention in passing that I use a bucket to catch the prints that the repair would not be covered by warranty?

Again, sorry Mark but I do not see how using one of these trays could in any way be seen as 'adapting' the machine.

Perhaps, if the manufacturers unit was better made (I have two and both of mine are broken) or if the recommended replacement was better priced then we would not seek other options. The tray I use just happens to be a perfect fit and sites neatly under the printer. You could even source a supply of them and perhaps use them as a standard replacement/alternative option.

John[/quote:bzhyt26r]

Which tray are you referring to John , please?

john wright
01-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Hi Mark

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =265061325 (http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=265061325)

Cheers
John

john christopher
01-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Hi Mark

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =265061325 (http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=265061325)" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers
John

Stress on the word "stackable". I don't only use these trays as prints catchers (sorry Mark) but also as a neat storage system (inside the case) for odd and sobs while the cases are in transit. The fact remains that these trays make for very practical pieces of kit for the event photographer.

PS: I've already scatched the front of both my DS40/80 printers, so be warned!

John

Mark Amies
02-11-2011, 09:57 AM
That is what I was getting at John. Although the printers are strong , the front fascia panels will be vunerable in this situation - so yes, take care guys.