Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
DNP DS80 - In the field [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DNP DS80 - In the field

Alan Hayward
10-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Sunday was the first outing for my brand new DNP DS80 setup was straight forward and no problems with comms from computer to printer working well. Digital Express found and configured ok and prints came off all day with no issues, colour/tone were great.

just need to get it into a flightcase, and get a paper tray catcher! as it tended to throw the print at you which caught us out a few times!!

very pleased with the overall performance.......

Alan Hayward
02-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Well its been approx 2 months since the printer went into service and at present all is well. Its rained been very cold and hot at times non have given the printer any problems. The printer is moved around a great deal and i have always left the media in place, just before i start the machine up i check the ribbon and paper are in their slots and any slack is pulled tight.

Does anyone have any ideas on a good flightcase solution for this machine?

Stuart Morley
02-11-2009, 02:21 PM
If it's the same dimensions as the Mitsibishi CP3800DW then we have a flight case for it.

Let me know the dims and I will check.

Kind Regards

System Insight

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

Andy King
02-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Alan,

You can look at 'off the shelf' models, but if you wanted something a little more bespoke then try Condor Cases. They will build anything you like. I got one built nearly four years ago that houses 2 mitsi 9550's, desktop pc, storage for cables etc. It also has cooling fan, vents, and rear access hatches for pc and cabling and runs on heavy duty castors.
Just over £500 including design by them.

If you go that route and they need exact dims, I can run my 3800 up to them sometime so they can measure up .

AK

Mark Amies
02-11-2009, 03:11 PM
We should be doing a flight case for both the DNP machines, I will see what the the progress is.

RobMarsh
02-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Alan,

but if you wanted something a little more bespoke then try Condor Cases.

AK

Just visited Condor's website and completed an enquiry form myself, disappointingly the email has come back as an invalid email address.
Whilst their products may be good, it doesn't look good if emails bounce

ian griffiths
02-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Just a quick 'ask' of the longer in the tooth (events wise) guys as to how many bought the flight cases and of those how many actually use them?

I know a good number who bought them as "a good idea" but then leave them in the garage because they take up so much space in the car/van! I personally have not used one since 1999!

Andy King
02-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Rob,
Doesn't look good I agree, even if the e-mail does get through...............

Tel No. is 01603 735900. Speak to David (unless you've spoken to him already that is)

I can only vouch for the product, not the expertise of their IT guy. :puter: :) ;)

AK

Andy King
02-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Ian,

My teeth aren't that long :) but I use mine all the time, outdoors in the van, (for which it was specifically designed to fit within the existing racking). Indoors where the whole lot just wheels off, plug in a monitor (or 2), power, and it's ready to go. Then, back at the office, depending on time of year, it can stay on during summer with a lecky feed and I can process/print in there, over winter it comes inside and I can do the same.

AK

Duncan Harris
02-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Ian

I use mine all the time. I moved around the shelves in your old trailer so I only had to take the front cover off the flight case to use the printer. I must admit that is with a mits 9550, I like the size of the DNPs and I don't think I would get one for those as it would defeat the benefit of their size.

Alan

Did you see Mikes "flight case" set-up, I was very impressed. Based on wheels, the back and front covers came off and became large tables either side of the case and the case had racks with a touch screen at the top then a rack mounted computer then under that 2 DNPs - very neat. I'm sure Mike could describe it better

Mike Weeks
02-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Flight case has 2 lids which turn into tables - 19" touch screen, larger than any other system. DNP DS80 & DNP DS40 so about 8 print sizes. Power strip at bottom so only need 1 socket at venue. Ready in 2 minutes max.

box1.jpg
box2.jpg

There are plenty of ways to do things and this is one of mine. I also user other computer setups depending on event and location. New large monitor (Paul Rogers style) on its way.

Mike

Andy King
03-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Mike,

That's a very good example of a 'bespoke' system, I take it you didn't buy it off the shelf and designed it yourself. Where did you get it manufactured? (and how much!) .

AK

Mike Weeks
03-11-2009, 09:11 AM
The case is off of the shelf with the 19" frame installed. Cost all up with the 2 printers would be about the £4000-£4500 price point. It gives something akin to the clik system but you can run whatever software you want, add hard drives etc.

Hopefully if there is enough interest the Photomart will start to stock the cases which should be around the £350 mark.

Mike

RobMarsh
03-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Similar flight cases to Mikes can be found on Flea bay, if you search for DJ case or 16U DJ you should find them. These will be the bare bones and you will need to fit them out with drawers and shelves etc

Graham Russell
03-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Just found this link to a 16U flight case:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/16u-DJ-Rack-Fligh ... 27ac6f04b9 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/16u-DJ-Rack-Flight-Case-with-12u-Slant-and-side-tables_W0QQitemZ170396681401QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_3?hash=item27ac6f04b9)

Mike's packaged solution looks great.

I wonder if it will fit in my Civic Type-R? :lol:

simon coates
03-11-2009, 09:57 AM

Just get the flight case modified and fitted with 16" alloy rims - then you can tow it along behind the car!

Simon

RobMarsh
03-11-2009, 11:02 AM
[quote="Graham Russell":25mveix1]

Just get the flight case modified and fitted with 16" alloy rims - then you can tow it along behind the car!

Simon[/quote:25mveix1]

Just make sure the axles are in good order before towing :rofl:

Graham Russell
03-11-2009, 11:09 AM
[quote="Graham Russell":1oyncx0e]

Simon

Just make sure the axles are in good order before towing :rofl:[/quote:1oyncx0e]

I'll probably need to lock the casters to stop it wandering around too much at high speed :mrgreen:

03-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Alan, did you see my thread on cheap cases from machine mart?

http://www.eventphotographersociety.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=814&hilit=+cheap+flight+case

Not a fancy set-up I agree, but more than good enough for transporting the printer, cables etc in. If you do opt for a bespoke system in the future the cases wuld come in useful for media, monitors, etc.

Alan Hayward
04-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Thank you all for the advice......
the Dims are: Length 370mm
Width 325mm
Height 170mm

I use my flight cases all the time i never remove the printers from them. I like Mikes set up really good for indoor event and i did see them on e-bay bare bones. Can't say i looked at the machine mart cases but will do tomorrow. Mark if you could let me know how far off the flight case design is that would be much appreciated. Once again thanks to all for your input ....thats what i like about being part of this team everyone is so helpfull.

Mark Amies
05-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Alan, I will keep you ionformed, when we have something solid to present. We have been looking at a number of options, so it is at an early stage at the moment.