Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Football photos by Richard Rollon [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Football photos by Richard Rollon

Richard Rollon
26-10-2011, 08:26 PM
A selection of action photographs by Richard Rollon from a recent football featuring Bolton Lads and Girls Club's under 14's v Darcy Lever

Mark Amies
27-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Love that last image Richard!

Richard Rollon
27-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks Mike, glad you like it. Richard.

pauldobson
28-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Great photos thoroughly enjoyed them although I did have to ask if it was football or a gurning competition.

cheers

Paul

Simon Wilson
28-10-2011, 01:39 PM
How do the parents comment about eyes shut and legs cut off...I personally would not crop in as close as you have done...However proof of the pudding is in the eating....So how do the tight crops sell ?

Mark Amies
28-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Great photos thoroughly enjoyed them although I did have to ask if it was football or a gurning competition.

cheers

Paul

That's Northern Football for you I guess! :-)

Richard Rollon
28-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Simon,

Thank you for your observations. It's interesting to listen to feedback and members views and I take on board your comments. With regards to cropping my view is that a lot can depend on the size the image will finally be printed. For instance, I'd probably go for a tighter crop (for impact) on an image to be printed 7 x 5 than an image being output at 9 x 6. If I planned to include text on the photo I'd aim to leave more space around the picture. However, I do come from a press background, where publication space was sometimes limited (hence probably the reason for my tighter crops). As a newcomer to event photography, I have joined the EPS to help find out more about what sells and what does not sell. The photos I submitted were taken at a football match featuring my son and were taken mainly as an exercise in getting myself back into taking pictures (after 11 years sat behind a desk editing pictures).

Richard.

Graham Taylor
29-10-2011, 09:03 AM
I shoot professional football as well as kids tournaments. Firstly for press I wouldnt cut the limbs off and any with (say) feet missing then I'd proberbly try to turn it into half length. Please keep in mind I dont need to crop to any standard size for this just crop around the action.

For kids tournaments any shots with limbs missing would be deleted as parents dont like it. They also prefer full length just running with the ball (standard stock shots). I think you have an eye for the action but just need to watch the cropping. The last one is a corker but would it sell?

Simon Wilson
29-10-2011, 02:11 PM
I see Graham replied first.... I was not aware that these were for your own use Richard...

But agree with the 'Old Bloke'

I think you have captured some great images and your timing is spot on...

If it were for my own stuff, I would crop in tight too....Expressions are great but they are very hit and miss with parents...

Mark Ratcliffe
29-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Hi Richard and welcome,
One of the things you will find with event sport shots is they could be classed as bland
(prob not the best word to describe what i mean),the parents which has been said want an image of their "child" 99% of the time.Most shots would be 1 child with ball,running/heading etc,maybe 2 kids if there is some nice interplay between them.
Goal shots etc
Most of the sales are generated from the team & individual shots,which are staged/posed
You may want to do some candids during the day
as soon as you can tag onto someone local go along and see what sells etc,it really is totally different to shooting for yourself
main point timing is good,just log on to a few site of members here to see what they do,that would help in choosing your shots
if you posted these on talk photography or a n other forums similar to them etc,they would get very positive response re facial expressions,But you are looking for "sellers"
Hope that makes sense.
like this example,pretty straight forward shot,but 20 sale

Andy Haynes
29-10-2011, 04:24 PM
For kids tournaments any shots with limbs missing would be deleted as parents dont like it. They also prefer full length just running with the ball (standard stock shots). I think you have an eye for the action but just need to watch the cropping. The last one is a corker but would it sell?

I'd partially agree with this, although sometimes the close face or 1/4 shots sell well to parents who like seeing their kids smiling.

Graham Taylor
29-10-2011, 07:58 PM
I see Graham replied first.... I was not aware that these were for your own use Richard...

But agree with the 'Old Bloke'

:-o :-o :-o :shock: :shock: :shock: :-( :-( :-( :cry: :cry: :cry: