Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Using a dye sub to print at 3.5x5" without wastage? [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Using a dye sub to print at 3.5x5" without wastage?

Adam Kemeny
19-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi all, first post here so thanks for all the useful information I've picked up from having a nose about over the last couple of days! My question is a fairly simple one (I think) but asking around has produced conflicting answers hence my asking here.

Can I produce 3.5x5" prints on a dye sub (I'm looking at the Mitsubishi CP-D70DW) without wastage of media? The specs advertise 3.5x5" printing but I can't find any specific 3.5x5" media for it so am guessing that I'd be using the 5x7". Does this mean printing double prints each time? I'd prefer to be producing one at a time with no wastage - am I dreaming?

I'm totally new to this field so am pretty amazed at the lack of manufacturer supplied information...

Cheers!

Adam

Mike Weeks
19-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Adam,

best advice is to phone the dealers i.e. Photomart or System Insight. They can also advise you of any other machines that may print that size in it cant.

Mike

Mark Amies
19-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Maybe a incredible co-incidence, but I was speaking to someone about this yesterday.

I have often enquired as to the availability of this size media to no avail, especially with Mitsubishi. They had always told us that the demand wasn't there, and they didn't get it in accordingly.

Believe me, it wasn't for the want of trying.

Mark Amies
19-10-2011, 10:37 AM
I am going to make some enquiries today to see if we can get DNP DS40 media at that size.

I will let you know.

Adam Kemeny
19-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Mike - I've spoken to a few people about this now and I was really hoping to get a response from someone who actually has one of these printers. I phoned Mitsubishi earlier today and couldn't get a definitive answer from them either.

Mark - That was me, yes :) If you could let me know about the DNP DS40 printing at that size I'd much appreciate it. The thing is that the CP-D70DW advertises prints of this size but no 3.5x5" media seems to exist for it, even overseas, whereas I can find it for older Mitsubishi models. This led me to think that one box could be shared between the two sizes. Probably a silly assumption...

Mark Amies
19-10-2011, 11:11 AM
As I said Adam , there is such little demand for the smaller media, it is hardly ever requested.

It is a shame, but unless you committed to a very large order of the stuff I doubt it would happen.

As I said to you yesterday , you will save yourself a lot of heartache and money by settling for the 6x4 media.

Adam Kemeny
19-10-2011, 12:28 PM
As I said Adam , there is such little demand for the smaller media, it is hardly ever requested.

It is a shame, but unless you committed to a very large order of the stuff I doubt it would happen.

As I said to you yesterday , you will save yourself a lot of heartache and money by settling for the 6x4 media.

I understand what you are saying about just opting for 6x4" but it isn't the format that I want to use so I'm fairly keen to establish what's definitely possible before making what is a very large purchase for me. The fact that Mistubishi themselves advertise that the D70DW prints at 3.5x5" but don't actually sell this media is what is throwing a particularly large curve ball in all of this. Again, thanks for your help on this!

Mark Amies
19-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Adam

I am also going to check on this with regard to Fuji , to see if they have the option. The machine would be the ASK2500.

Mark Amies
19-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Adam - straight answer from FujiFilm UK - no 3.5x5" media available.

It looks very much like this will be the case from DNP too, but I am still waaiting for a definitive answer.

Sorry.

ian griffiths
19-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Hi Adam,

Not sure if you are using Darkroom you could easily make a template of two 3.5"x 5" prints side by side on 7" x 5" media.

Let me know if you have Darkroom and I can shoot you such a template over to try.

nickspray
20-10-2011, 01:55 PM
I have looked into this for a friend of mine who wanted a 3.5 x 5 print but it was not practical to have printed on 5" media 2-up on a sheet so needed a machine that would print single 3.5 x 5 prints.

Only one I have found that fits the bill is the DNP DS RX-1. However, I have yet to find a supplier in the UK for either the machine or media for it.

www.dnp.co.jp (http://www.dnp.co.jp) has the specifications for this machine and quotes a media pack DMRX35 which is for 3.5 x 5 prints two rolls in pack total of 700 prints per pack.

Hope this helps as I guess you are in a similar situation to my friend who has a product that is 5 x 3.5 so no other size will do.

The only other option but clearly not mobile, is to go for a wet print machine, only an option if you are trading from a static unit.

ian griffiths
20-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Interesting, why was it not practical to print two-up?

I'm not picking fault, just interested.

Mark Amies
20-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Nick

The machine you refer to should be available within the next month or so.

The main UK DNP distributor is Photomart.

The European DNP website is here - http://www.dnpphoto.eu/

nickspray
20-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Interesting, why was it not practical to print two-up?

I'm not picking fault, just interested.

Ian, the reason is one of speed and maintaining print order when batch printing several hundred prints at a time and the sales system depends on accuracy of printing order.

Having to take each 5x7 and chop and still keep everything in order would be asking for trouble!

Hope that explains without going into too much detail about the business!

Adam Kemeny
22-10-2011, 08:41 AM
It seems that I may have to opt for 6x4, at least for the time being. It's great to know that I'll have the option of doubling up 3.5x5" on the Mitsubishi or DNP though...