Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Dye Sub & Heat transfer [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Dye Sub & Heat transfer

ian griffiths
05-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Anyone using their dye-sub to produce heat transfer products, plates, mugs mouse mats etc?

12-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Oh wow! I have a set of soft fabric "WANTED" poster, transfer paper, (some to use with the heat press), and a heatpress...

Now, since I didn't have any dye sub printer, I used the dye sublimation transfer paper. I purchased a lot from www.qlt.com (http://www.qlt.com) and rpl suppliers.

They have everything and since it's been months, or years, I think I will visit their site again...

What are you trying to do with a dye sub and heat transfer? You can get cheap dye sub paper and use it with an inkjet!
Not sure what you want to do or accomplish!
i know this is late! hahahahah :shock:

ian griffiths
12-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Trying to gather information about a printer other than the Click system that you can prevent the laminate being applied on the final pass so it can be used for heat transfer sublimation products.

I know Mitsubishi used to supply 3 panel media for either the 700 or 800 series but I think this has now been discontinued, so I may have to purchase a Click system to do this?

Mark Amies
12-08-2009, 01:23 PM
This sounds a bit dangerous!! - Dye Sublimation is used as a term that is not the same as Dye Diffusion Thermal Transfer ( D2T2) - this term was not commonly used for thermal printers- ICI Imagedata used it.

I would imagine that if the final pass through with the laminate finish was bypassed, and the print came out, then the dye in the paper could theoretically be transfered.

Interesting stuff though.

Jeremy Nako
12-08-2009, 01:41 PM
f the final pass through with the laminate finish was bypassed, and the print came out, then the dye in the paper could theoretically be transfered.

I *believe* that this is available in the printer driver of the latest Mitsubishi printers, though I'd need confirmation on this..

12-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but do people normal use inkjets for this type of thing? I've done my own iron on t-shirt transfers before but the quality was poor compared to the proper job that the workwear companies do.

Mark Amies
12-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Is this one we could call in the Mitsubishi delegate on Jeremy?

Jeremy Nako
12-08-2009, 04:10 PM
I'll ask in the morning.

J

Mark Amies
12-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Ian - I am pretty sure we have the 700 series media to sell, and hopefully 800 series too.

Yup - just checked - we have.

ian griffiths
12-08-2009, 04:19 PM
I've already spoken to Mitsubishi at quite some length.

Mark, is it the 3 panel media you have? There is loads of 4 panel about.

ian griffiths
12-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Looks like a post I made hasn't materialised?

Mark,

The di-sub system works, its not a problem other than avoiding that last laminate pass that seals the inks.

Martin,

The reason your ink-jet based system produced poor results is you were using ordinary inks. With heat transfer you have to use sublimation inks that are heat resistant. Ordinary inks degass with heat.

I want to avoid ink-jet systems with bulk sublimation feeds for several reasons, 1) they are mightily expensive, Rotech ink (The best) is about £1 per 1ml a simple head clean can use upto £5 of ink. 2) We want to use these mobile and the bulk ink systems do not like to bumped you get loads of air locks that take time and ink to resolve. 3) Sublimation ink cartridges are available but at £40 for an 11ml fill are even more expensive.

12-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks Ian, learning something every day :geek:

Mark Amies
12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Ian, I will have to check, obviously I would hope to help. If you could drop a mail to me at work, so I can pick it up tommorow I'd be grateful.

I am sure that at some point someone had told me they managed this transfer with a HiTi- could be wrong.

ian griffiths
24-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi All,

Just to give an update.

Stuart at SI very kindly loaned me a Hiti "Photoshuttle" 6x4 printer along with a program written and distributed by Hiti called "Mug Desiree"

My mug machine has arrived from China and after spending two whole days and printing 26 mugs I'm still not happy with the results, the printed image looks fantastic yet the transfered image is weak, no blacks, no vivid colours.

We have tried a whole range of temperatures and baking times and we are getting consistancey, just not good enough quality for me. Isent our test image to a national provider and their effort knocked spots of my best.

So back to my original question, is anyone here using a dye sub printer (as opposed to an ink-jet loaded with sublimation inks) for heat transfer products and if so are you getting good quality results?

Stuart Morley
24-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi Ian

The type of mug is very important. I believe there are two different types. I will investigate further.

Kind Regards

Stuart

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

ian griffiths
24-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Hi Stuart,

I'm using the bog standard (10oz I think) that is used by nearly all mug suppliers from Xpress.com they are of course polyester coated to accept the dye.

I spoke with Darren the other day after an unsucessful call to HiTi, he was very helpful and as a result of the conversation I got the best results to date.

Do you know if there is a different type of paper available, this " Nissan postcard" type media may not be the best they have?

Stuart Morley
25-09-2009, 06:20 AM
Hi Stuart,

I'm using the bog standard (10oz I think) that is used by nearly all mug suppliers from Xpress.com they are of course polyester coated to accept the dye.

I spoke with Darren the other day after an unsucessful call to HiTi, he was very helpful and as a result of the conversation I got the best results to date.

Do you know if there is a different type of paper available, this " Nissan postcard" type media may not be the best they have?

Glad you had a good chat with Dareen he is our despatch guy BTW :-), so his knowledge is limited but even so he does his best to help.

There is only one type of media, but the "Nissan" media should work fine, but I will send you some "normal" stuff to see if that makes a difference.

Kind Regards

Stuart

ian griffiths
25-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Hi Stuart,

If he's your despatch guy you might want to consider encouraging him perhaps in to customer services, people like that are invaluable to any organisation. What I liked in particular was that he didn't guess or make any assumptions, he located an online manual and only suggested procedures backed up by written evidence, so non of my time was wasted and the quality moved on. Please tell him I was very happy with him on the phone and now on hearing this I am really impressed by him, does he do events......

Thanks for offering to send different media, I'll give it a try and see how it performs.

Stuart Morley
25-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Thank you for you kind words. We try our best and ALL our staff go on our training course so they can have an understanding of what our customers are doing.

Having said that Darren hasn't been with us long and hasn't been on the course yet !

Kind Regards

Stuart

ian griffiths
26-09-2009, 10:21 AM
A further update!

I was sent two samples printed on a Epson ink-jet using Rotech sublimation inks by the guys at Xpres, these were applied to mugs yesterday, the images are amazing, so punchy and vivid, the difference is like night and day, so I'm leaning towards the fact I may have to use an ink-jet based system afterall?

Stuart is sending me another pack of HiTi paper, I will try this when I'm get back from my travels and let you know the outcome but in all fairness, there is going to have to be a huge difference from the last pack of media to compete with the ink-jet samples.

Here is a snapshot of the difference.

Mark Amies
27-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Without being pendantic here Ian, I think it would be better to use the same image accross the two comparison mugs, and get the light source even.

I have to say the Hiti is alot better than I was expecting.

ian griffiths
27-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi All,

Thought I'd wrap this up with a final report.

Before I go in to detail, I'd like to publically thank Stuart at SI, he has been a great help throughout this test and has gone the extra mile in loaning me a HiTi printer and sending different media types for me to try, so a big thank you to Stuart.

I have tried two different types of media through the HiTi but there is little to no difference in the end result, it produces a rather flay lifeless image when applied to a ceramic mug. I do realise that HiTi have their own mug machine and I have to say I have not seen the results they get from that.

Under much duress I have switched to Ink-Jet using Rotech sublimation inks via refillable cartridges, this appears to be the most cost effective way, just in case anyone missed earlier reasoning, I didn't want to use a CIS as the plan, (now in action) is to produce mugs on site, CIS is cheaper to use but the system is prone to air locks when moved,

This past weekend we used the new mug service in anger at a Cheer comp, the result was a big hit, we sold many mugs and it added to our sales rather than as I had expected switch from photos to mugs, a refreshing outcome!

Total cost to set up the system is around £700 but it has been money well spent.

My next project is mouse mats, T's and jigsaws, so if anyone has any first-hand knowledge on producing these items on-site I'd appreciate a heads-up.

Mark Amies
27-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Ian

With regard to your next project, T-Shirts , etc - I would imagine you would need to use either an inkjet or laser printer , and using transfer paper . You would also need a press, either manual or vacumn assisted.

We sell Forever brand for the transfer paper, and we also sell a range of items to print onto - jigsaws, t-shirts, bags, mousemats, teddy bears ( thier dinky little t shirt gets printed on), and a few other items. They should be in the copyshop section on our website.

Mark

Stuart Morley
27-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Hi All,

I'd like to publically thank Stuart at SI, he has been a great help throughout this test and has gone the extra mile in loaning me a HiTi printer and sending different media types for me to try, so a big thank you to Stuart.

Thanks for your kind words...We try our best....

Kind Regards

Stuart