Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
News from Denmark - my first equestrian pictures [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : News from Denmark - my first equestrian pictures

michael lassen
30-08-2011, 09:55 AM
I know nothing about horses, nor horse pictures !!, I've been out to photographers 2 horse events, just to practice, I would therefore like to ask for a small service of you, please look at my pictures and see if it is ok, composition ectů

PS: there is no event photographers in Denmark, so I have no one I can compare myself with, the images I see in all the horse magazines I can find, I seemed that the pictures are very static always from the side, is that only the kind of pictures that sell.

Michael

www.danskeventfoto.dk (http://www.danskeventfoto.dk)

Mike Weeks
30-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Michael,

my understanding is that the first one is wrong - notice the legs closest to you are together, whereas the other is correct as it makes the horse look better (furthest legs together), howevr timing looks good. Usually called either double A or M legs and is the standard Dressage shot. At this point you need somebody that is more knowledgeable in Dressage to give you an idea of other shots.

Mike

simon coates
30-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi Michael,

These photos look fine and I am sure that they would almost certainly sell in an instant. Depending on the level of the competitors, you might find that the riders wouldn't buy the first image as the lead leg closet to the camera isn't extended. Competitors competing at the lower levels would almost certainly not care about this.

When covering equestrian events like this, I always photograph a head-shot of just the horse as a simple portrait. I shoot them at f2.8 when the horse is at the closest point to me so that I get a nicely blurred background and these normally sell really well. I can never understand why as these should be the easiest for the owner to take themselves!

Simon

ian griffiths
30-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Hi Michael,

These horses look like they are rather expensive and at a very high level of dressage. I echo what has already been said but would add shooting this level is generally not going to make you a lot of money as the majority of these riders will not be in to buying photos of themselves. Its a bit like shooting F1, Lewis, Fernando etc don't pull over to buy their photos!

If I can give you any advice it would be to continue to refine your photos but aim at lower order events if you want to make good money, the weekend riders, pony club and kids events usually offer much greater returns.

Do you know a fellow Dane photographer by the name of Mogens Reidl?

michael lassen
30-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi Michael,

These horses look like they are rather expensive and at a very high level of dressage. I echo what has already been said but would add shooting this level is generally not going to make you a lot of money as the majority of these riders will not be in to buying photos of themselves. Its a bit like shooting F1, Lewis, Fernando etc don't pull over to buy their photos!

If I can give you any advice it would be to continue to refine your photos but aim at lower order events if you want to make good money, the weekend riders, pony club and kids events usually offer much greater returns.

Do you know a fellow Dane photographer by the name of Mogens Reidl?

Hi Ian, no but i can se that he has at shop i france, an yes he is a dane.

Mike Weeks
30-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Michael,

whilst I concur with Ian that here in the UK the higher level of competitor is less likely to purchase there is something aspirational for the more novice riders in that they can see on your website what you are capable of. With there being such a gap in the Danish market your riders will not have had a life time of being offered prints so you may have success where many of us will have more of a struggle.

Mike