Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Payment Methods [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Payment Methods

jeremypurdy
10-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi Folks

Looking into a new online shopping cart facility. Have been keeping a close eye on the wordpress option "ProofPress', but nothing seems to be happening on this front, and cant get an answer out of the developers as to when i will be ready. If at all. Came across this topic and have looked into PhotoCart. Visually its not as good as the proposed 'ProofPress' version (im a graphic designer as well) so image and branding is important. Anyway getting off topic. I see PhotoCart does not accept Credit Cards - PayPal and a few others. What payment gateways etc are UK users using and what costs are involved. Obviously there is the one off fee to PhotoCart, but what are the ongoing fees. DOnt know too much about merchant accounts etc. so any help and recommendations are appreciated.

Many thanks
Jeremy

Graham Taylor
10-08-2011, 03:04 PM
I believe most use Paypal as its now recognised by nearly everyone who uses the internet.

jeremypurdy
09-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Will be purchasing a copy of PhotoCart within the next coupe of weeks and was wondering if anyone can help...im a member of the FSB and are needing a new Credit Card Terminal. As part of the FSB package they can set us up with a Merchant Account so we can start taking credit card payments. Has anyone had a merchant account setup through the FSB and can this merchant account be used with PhotoCart?

Any help would be much appreciated.
J

Graham Taylor
09-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Will be purchasing a copy of PhotoCart within the next coupe of weeks and was wondering if anyone can help...im a member of the FSB and are needing a new Credit Card Terminal. As part of the FSB package they can set us up with a Merchant Account so we can start taking credit card payments. Has anyone had a merchant account setup through the FSB and can this merchant account be used with PhotoCart?

Any help would be much appreciated.
J

Usually the banks donot like you to accept card payment direct and many/most will have this in their agreement. Not sure what you dont like about Paypal but I believe Tim at Photocart is working on integrating Worldpay to Photocart wich is part of Streamline group. If your looking at a mobile terminal then try these: www.pdqmachines.com they can also setup a merchant account for you. Mention my name and EPS.

jeremypurdy
09-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Have nothing against PayPal PerSe, just find their rates a bit more expensive. Its ok on event pricing for amounts under 20 or 30. But in the process of taking over a studio, when selling fine art prints, family portraits etc the fees/charges can then run very high. I guess we could build this into our pricing...Had always intended to use PayPal as we had no need for a merchant account, but now that we need a merchant account to take CC payments I though I may as well use that along with photocart. This side of things is all new to me so a bit a of a steep learning curve.
J

david_clark
10-11-2011, 08:05 PM
The more I use Photocart the more I love it - and a couple of friends have jumped too..... one was going to get something custom done but it surpasses everything he could want - except for the Sagepay interface.... (so please ask - the more that do the more likely its done!). I'm sure you are aware, but once you've bought Photocart your only coasts as webhosting - which you need for your website anyway....

When I checked before we bought ours he was "actively" working on a Sagepay interface and Worldpay. As it stands at the moment I'm using Paypal..... You can also take card numbers and then process on a terminal if you have - but this requires you have SSL on your server - and this can cost 50 a year

I use Sagepay as a payment gateway for another website - which charges 20 per month (plus VAT) to act as an online Gateway -which gives you 1000 transactions per quarter on a rolling basis - you still need a Merchant Account on top of this. This will be a good option for us as Sagepay will set up multiple accounts for a one off admin cost - and a one off fee from your merchant account provider - so that each business we trade with will have the correct name appear in our clients statements - and theres no extra monthly fees unless you go over the 1000 transactions/3 months...

Worldpay I don't think has a monthly fixed fee - but charges a percentage of the sale or a fixed fee, depending on the card type... but I could be wrong...

The Merchant account - good deals from MPA (not so good as they used to be - I'm on 5 a month machine rental (fixed line not mobile) then its a little under 2% for credit cards - and under 30p for Switch

Other suppliers of merchant accounts are Federation of Small Businesses - and I saw one for members of Costco but never checked out...

ian griffiths
11-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Hi Jeremy,

Do look in to PCI compliance most especially if you are taking cards over a web site, you have to ensure that everything is in compliance from the package you use, the web hosting of that service and then your policies and procedures at your end, this is in part why I stick with Everybodysmile/Worldpay, it's a legal minefield.

You can get more information regarding PCI Compliance from your Merchant Bank or from sites such as https://www.securitymetrics.com/

Don't ignore PCI, it is now a legal requirement and if you are hacked, broken in to or do not dispose of HDD's that contains financial data you are responsible for any losses any of your customers suffer as a result of data leak from purchasing from you.

Trudy Trafford
11-11-2011, 11:20 AM
The PCI forms are a nightmare bordering on almost impossible to complete, but there is no getting away from the fact you do need to address the issue. I am currently with Cardnet & have two terminals from different suppliers, 1 being global data leasing, the other pdq machines. Despite numerous phone calls and promises to return my calls from Lloyds and Global Data Leasing I have had no response to my queries which has now resulted in my terminating my agreement with both of these. On the other hand just 1 phone call to pdq with reassurance that for one off 30 fee they will complete all the necessary forms on our behalf, send me a second terminal at a discounted rate and got much better rates from their bank people means that I won't have to spend hours on the 20 page form scratching my head!

PCI is not only for card payments taken over the web, it also affects all payments taken by mobile devices.

jeremypurdy
12-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Gosh I haven't even read into pci and its already sounding complicated!! Would using PayPal (with photo cart) get around the pci paperwork if we were just processing orders through photocart via PayPal??

Assuming PayPal handles the legal end..

ian griffiths
12-11-2011, 09:31 AM
If Photocart has an interface that the data is entered in to then no, you need to be PCI compliant if it saves a record of that transaction.

If you are accepting any card transactions in your name you need to be compliant.

You are soley responsible for keeping your customers card details safe for the period of at least 7 years that you have to maintain records for HMRC.

Customer calls you to pay over the phone, you write it down, there is one record, you have to show a paper trail of what happened to that piece of paper, you enter it in to your PDQ, this produces a paper copy, where and how are you going to store it? You enter their details in to a web interface, it's now on your HDD that may be recoverable by some, you are at an event customer says can I pay by card.................

The best way to find out is to sign up with Security Metrics and fill out the online forms this will answer all your questions and alert you to many you wont even have thought of.

It's all about if someone enters your office, hacks your PC, steals your laptop can they access your customers card details, if they can, you can be held liable for any and all losses.

It took me two days to get it right, that was 3 years ago and now I can renew each year without too much hassle.

Hope that helps.

Tracey Wilkinson
19-11-2011, 04:52 PM
I filled my PCI forms in online with the help of Payment Sense. However, having now read Ian's posts i feel it might have been too easy!

Ian, if you take a payment at an event and the piece of paper the machine spits out only has card number, issue number and start/finish date, is it still construed as personal data given that it hasn't got the owners name with it?

Cheers,

Tracey

ian griffiths
21-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Hi Tracey,

Card number, expiry and issue, you don't need anything else to charge a card in some countries!

Tracey Wilkinson
23-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks Ian. Am I also right in saying that I have to keep all the paper records safe and can't just shred them?

Merry Xmas