Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
photocart spamming [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : photocart spamming

andycampbell
18-07-2011, 03:10 PM
hi
my site received 80,000 bhits from 10 IP addresses today , all trying to acccess pn.php file within photocart.
Site was taken down for an hour to protect it and block the IP's .
has anyone else experienced this problem with photocart?
thanks
Andy

Mike Weeks
18-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Switch on the IP address blocking in the security settings.

Not had the issue myself.

Do you have registration setup?

Mike

andycampbell
18-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Hi Mike
yes i do have registration set up, i find this really usefull in terms of database of customers for emaling offers etc
Andy

Simon Wilson
18-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Hi Andy/Mike,

I have not experienced this yet but I do have the registration set up.

Over 1600 users registered now...Do you categorise the users as they register....You can then direct advertising to the specific groups....rugby, footy, cricket etc etc ...

Mike Weeks
18-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Simon,

how are you doing your categorising? It is certainly what I am attempting to do.

Mike

chris nutt
18-07-2011, 06:26 PM
I have sometimes experienced repeated hits (several per minute) from certain addresss.
I don't ask for registration to access the galleries (I used to to but had too many complaints) but do password protect many of the galleries. It's then only the non-password protected galleries that get hits from these sites..
I just add IP blocking to those that cause grief. Funnily enough - I have only experienced this issue since I updated to PC6. Never had the problem with PC5...

chris nutt
18-07-2011, 06:46 PM
So - after talking to Mike this afternoon I have decided to turn the PC registration process back on. Mike gave me some good words to use when getting complaints such as: "why do I have to register to see my pictures?"... (and they didn't end in "off")

Lets see how it goes..

andycampbell
19-07-2011, 08:45 AM
with regard to registration, i was dead against it when i first started with photocart but after 1 year and not one complaint about having to register to purchase i wouldnt be without it.
It proved its worth at Christmas by emailing a coupon code offering discount as a 'thank you' for their custom over the year
as for the spamming, all seems to have gone quiet on that front so all is well
AC

Mike Weeks
19-07-2011, 09:51 AM
My comments to Chris were based on a customer saying something like "I can't see MY images" to which my reply was along the lines of "you cant see MY images of you, the registration helps stop people stealing MY images and therefore I can maintain a lower price for YOU the customer who genuinely wants to buy images of themself".

Mike

Yanis
23-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Most people suppose that my web gallery actually is theirs and theirs friends personal on line gallery...And I pay for their comfort. Due to that I became very sceptical of putting photos online.
Registration will ruin their comfort feeling against hard working event photographers....

Mike Weeks
23-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Yanis,

I have had 2 comments out of 1000 registrations, 1 was the previous question and the other was how do you do it. If it carries on at that rate the positives are massively greater i.e. targetted marketing for one. Most peoeple I know that are using Photocart use registration without issue.

Mike