Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Generators - fancy getting some fair and open info? [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Generators - fancy getting some fair and open info?

Mark Amies
24-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Guys, I have put this up , as it was something that came up in a section on DNP printers.

My comment on that thread was this-

"May I make a suggestion here? Why don't we have a proper evaluation done on all suitable generators, and then a suggestion of all decent and co-operative sellers of generators?

All above board, entry to all. "

barry derbyshire
26-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Hi Mark,

Im currently looking at the Kipor Range of Gennie as a backup for the van. The IG2600 petrol or the 3000- see link below seems to fit the bill.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IG2600-PETROL-GEN ... 3f0b4e41d3 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IG2600-PETROL-GENERATOR-pure-signwave-FROM-KIPOR-/270772617683?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Generators _ET&hash=item3f0b4e41d3)[/b]

They are the Chinese version of the Honda, pure sinewave so good for computers and at half the price. While I havnt got one yet, the research on the internet seems to rate them.

Anyone got one or had one, with good or bad reviews for it.

Barry

Graham Taylor
26-06-2011, 05:13 PM
I bought a Kipor IG2600 the other week S/H. 2 years old but not much use. Used it the other week at a football tournament and ran like dream and never missed a beat. I ran one laptop, three VS and two printers. Topped up the fuel at luch time and still half full at the end of play.

Robert Smith
26-06-2011, 05:47 PM
As I said in another thread I have used a Kipor 3000ti generator for thr past 5 years and it has never let me down.It is quiet, economical to run and has enough power to run 5 viewing stations ,two dye sub printers and a workstation/server. If I have to buy another generator then I will certainly get another Kipor and at half the price of a Honda it will be a nice little earner

Rob

Stuart Morley
26-06-2011, 09:44 PM
I have heard good things about Kipor although not used one myself. I would however use a UPS (the correct type) as I have known a lot of people have equipment fried by generators

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

Mike Weeks
26-06-2011, 09:59 PM
The Kipor IG series are pure sine wave like the Honda EU series and the Honda generators offer a specification that is better than the quality that your domestic service has to provide. There should be no reason to require a UPS with these generators to control the quality of the electricity but they are useful to guarantee the continuation of supply of electricity such as for refueling.

A UPS that would allow you to continue to run printers as well as computers would be large, heavy and expensive so the best use is for protecting the computer equipment.

Just came across a a pure sine wave suitcase generator that I have not seen before which are made by Hyundai to add to the list of Kipor, Honda and SDMO.

Most generators in open frames are not pure sine wave, regardless of if the engine is made by Honda or not.

I recently hired a suitcase by stephill which has a Honda engine and the voltage dropped everytime a printer was used, and if 2 were used it sometimes caused the PC to crash, not something I have encountered with a genuine Honda and also something that would not have happened if the computer had a UPS.

Mike

simon coates
27-06-2011, 08:43 AM
I use a Kipor IG1000 with great success. I drive a 27" IMac, a second monitor, two dye subs and various other bits and bobs with no problems at all. A wonderful bit of kit.

Simon

Mark Amies
27-06-2011, 08:49 AM
So maybe the EPS should get onto KIpor and get the UK distributor talking to you guys?

barry derbyshire
19-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Just an update from my last input on this post,

At the beginning of August I purchased a brand new KIPOR IG2600 PETROL GENERATOR (pure sign-wave) off Ebay from a regular dealer. This little beauty worked great over the three days we used it at at Bakewell Show.

I found it would have run most of the system on its own, but I ran it purely as a backup through the vans system, using the inverter charger, which draws on any power its offered. When the battery indicator indicated that the batteries going down, this genny within 30 mins restored all the power back to full. It has a Smart Switch that detects loads, it chugs along until a printer a being used, then kicks in with more power, after use it returns to normal and just chugs away quietly.

Hope this helps those that are thinking of getting a Genny - I've only heard good reports on these, and at the price of £480 it was a bargain. Mike check it, out its a lot cheaper than the Honda 20i and worth seeing how many other members use them and their findings.

Regards Barry

Michael Martin
31-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Is it possible to run printers, DNP in particular, from a leisure battery? Has anybody tried this and what sort of sized battery is required?

Stuart Morley
31-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Yes it is.....

You also need an inverter which must be sized according to your power requirements.

Size of battery depends on load and time you need to run the equipment for.

Standby is about 40watts, rising to 400watts whilst printing of most printers.

I have 2 x 50kg batteries in the photo bus which run lots of equipment through a 2200watt inverter / charger. They run for about 8hrs after which I start the lorry and that charges the batteries.

I also have a battery monitor which not only monitors all of this but tells me how long everything will last. Performance drops off as the batteries get older.

Hope this helps.

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

Mike Weeks
31-08-2011, 12:10 PM
The other point to remember about use of leisure batteries is that batteries will have a reduced life in relation to what they are powering i.e. something running off at close to maximum power will see its charge holding capability reduce much quicker than something run on much lower levels i.e. size matters, so dont look for minimum spec.

Mike

Michael Martin
31-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks for info guys. Stuart, how many days use would you expect out of the batteries before they need replacing?

Next I need to look at all costs to see if it is cost effective.

alan_potter
16-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi all just though I would add my tuppence worth of info on genny's

Having had a couple or three over the last few years for one reason and another there's lots to take into consideration but won't go into that too much

Firstly power spikes are an issue unless the genny is pure sine wave like a lot of the current suitcase type. So it is advised to use a UPS

Now the main reason for this post

It is becoming more prevalent that petrol genny's are not allowed at venues certainly in the last 12 months (due to health and safety issues oh and the idiots that refill them whilst running) which leaves the smelly noisy diesel ones good and economical but don't they just stink the van out.

I purchased a Honda EU20i earlier this year and had it converted to LPG although it was expensive to buy and have converted the pros far outweigh the cons which to be honest is only the price and in my case was £1200.00 complete. And don't forget that Honda give a 5 year guarantee with their generators.

I've run studio lighting, printer, 3 laptops, 2 screens and some lighting for marquee plus charge my caravan from this genny with no problems at all.

OK so I carry a large gas bottle (19Kg) which lasts about 45 hours total running but at a cost of £22.00 per bottle the running costs are less than 50p per hour.

In addition rather than getting a larger one for future use I'll just get another EU20i and a bridge unit so will always have a back up in case anything happens and can always have 2 units out for smaller events

So to conclude my thoughts are that you get what you pay for and treat a generator like any other major kit investment and besides if it all goes wrong the genny's command a very good resale price especially with the caravan fraternity.

Hope this is of use to some people and always happy to help

Alan:puter:

Alan Seymour
26-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Hi there how do i work out what size gen i need, i have one note book one lap top a dell sx250 desktop and a olmec 1000, any recommendations would be good. Thanks Alan.

Mark Ratcliffe
27-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Firstly Keep away from "builders Gennys"
You need a INVERTER type,this will protect your gear
I have a kipor IG2000,cost abot £380,new they seem to have jumped up in price and the seller i got mine from is now at £449
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kipor-IG-2000-IG2000-Generator-4-Stroke-unleaded-petrol-/400232239854?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=bin5d2fb352ee#ht_3928wt_806
They are more expensive than you Standard genny and i have used one of these in the past,but panicked every time the engine revs went up and down
The Kipor goes into power/fuel-Saver mode when power is not required,as soon as you demand a load from it,the genny kicks in
you will save £ssss on fuel used during a full days outing,soon recoup the extra outlay of the genny
I run upto 5 monitors (3 Mainly) ,1 Tower PC Server,Monitor for Tower PC,2 printers,2 battery chargers,not a problem
you can get a ig1000 for £349,which would more than cover your requirements,but may restrict you in the future if you add extra bits on
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kipor-IG1000-Suitcase-Inverter-Generator-FREE-DELIVERY-FREE-LOCK-/270842251780?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=bin3f0f74ca04#ht_1641wt_806
but for the extra id go for the 2000,or equivalent power output,
Honda also do them at double the price,i think,maybe wrong that Kipor did produce and badge gennys in the past for HONDA

Malcolm Swinden
27-12-2011, 02:45 PM
I still use an open frame SDMO 3000 genny (nearly new for £100) run through an APC UPS to protect the circuits. It has worked flawlessly so far and have had no power issues even when the kettles switched on!! (Although this is run from a separate socket and not via the APC unit).

Can understand why Mark praises the suitcase units as I have also looked at them as a backup or even to save on the fuel cost. The SDMO does drink the stuff a little more, but I just have to sell one more print to cover the difference though.

Mike Weeks
27-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Honda took legal action against Kipor due to them illegally cloning their machines. So if you need a part for your Kipor you will find that Honda fits. I have heard of many people warning against Kipor but never heard a real user express concerns.
Want a real Honda engine that uses invertor technology then SDMO fits the bill, very happy with mine.

Mike

Mark Ratcliffe
27-12-2011, 05:11 PM
I still use an open frame SDMO 3000 genny (nearly new for £100) run through an APC UPS to protect the circuits. It has worked flawlessly so far and have had no power issues even when the kettles switched on!! (Although this is run from a separate socket and not via the APC unit).

Can understand why Mark praises the suitcase units as I have also looked at them as a backup or even to save on the fuel cost. The SDMO does drink the stuff a little more, but I just have to sell one more print to cover the difference though.

Mal,U know i need all the tenners i can save wink wink ;-)
and the weight also comes in from my point of view every KILO shed\saved on gear helps,kipor weighs approx 20KG,thats a bit less than a mitsi 9500

Mark Ratcliffe
27-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Mal,U know i need all the tenners i can save wink wink ;-)
and the weight also comes in from my point of view every KILO shed\saved on gear helps,kipor weighs approx 20KG,thats a bit """MORE"" than a mitsi 9500
should have read slightly MORE than a 9500

Graham Taylor
27-12-2011, 05:35 PM
I use a 2.6KVA Kipor. Honda are regarded as the best but come with a premium price. Suitcase type are a better buy than open frame for reasons mentioned above. If not in a hurry then keep searching for S/H IG1000 will proberbly be large enough for your equipment at present but if you start to increase your load you may find you need someting bigger so I would suggest at leasat a 2kva. May also be worth looking at Machine Mart who sell Clarke and may be handy for spares should you need them.

Mark Ratcliffe
27-12-2011, 06:02 PM
I got quite a bit of info off various forums,hence why i went with kipor
TRY > Caravan/Motorhome/Boat forums,Theses guys talk about their gennys,like we do camera gear,Maybe a good source of second had stock as well ;)
you'll find info on LPG conversion,and im pretty sure they have trade members on some,IE Kipor dealers, Honda dealers,conversion companies,spare parts/repair company's

Richard Chaff
27-12-2011, 10:29 PM
We invested in a Honda 2i EU with lp gas conversion with an auto changeover valve, so running two bottles never have to worry about running out of gas mid print/event as when the service bottle expires the standby comes online seamlessly.

Jeremy Nako
28-12-2011, 08:04 AM
I have exactly the same setup as Richard.

The changeover valve means that you can fully drain each gas bottle without worrying about running out.

Works a treat.

alan_potter
28-12-2011, 10:13 PM
We invested in a Honda 2i EU with lp gas conversion with an auto changeover valve, so running two bottles never have to worry about running out of gas mid print/event as when the service bottle expires the standby comes online seamlessly.

I also run with a switchover but use a 19k bottle as main and carry my 6kg bottle from my caravan as a backup (also have switch over on caravan so always return empty bottles). Works out much cheaper with the larger gas bottle currently £24.00 for 19Kg bottle which runs for about 60 hours.