Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
New Purchase - Transporting Question [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New Purchase - Transporting Question

DominicSmith
21-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Hi

I've just bought a DNP DS 40 from Photomart and noted somehwere that it said you had to remove the paper and ribbon prior to moving the printer. I've been using a 730PS up until now without removing the ribbon and haven't had a problem.

Can anyone comment on what will happen if I don't remove paper/ribbon?

Thanks

Dominic G Smith
http://www.bridalimage.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.eventprints.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark Ratcliffe
21-06-2011, 08:12 PM
You have to be careful,when transporting,the weight of the media bouncing inside the printer can cause damage to the roller mechanism that holds the media,could dislodge the cogs misalign paper with print heads etc,Pretty much anything CAN happen
ive transported with media in myself,But not any more,you cant earn any money if your printer goes pear shaped at an event,only 5 mins to take out,Better be safe i suppose

Natalie-Briggs
22-06-2011, 06:52 AM
i have never removed the media and not had a problem so far

Mike Weeks
22-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Official advice is to remove. Due to the design and placement of ribbon and paper there is a greatly reduced chance of damage occuring when compared to many of the larger square box shaped printers. I have been transporting my DNP machines with media in but if it goes wrong because of that I should not be surprised if repairs are not covered by warranty.

Mike

ian griffiths
22-06-2011, 08:35 AM
14 printers, over 10 years of eventing and I've never removed the paper or ribbon for transport and never had a problem, having said that now I've declared this something is bound to go wrong, Sod's Law!!

What I would suggest is to perhaps stick to the terms while the machine is under warranty, then the need to worry about if it's covered by warranty or not is removed.

I think a more important issue with any printer is how it's transported, regardless of if its in a flight case or not the less vibration it is subjected to the better, so if you pack it so it's sitting on a blanket, foam or other such shock absorbing material and packed in a way it can't move the better for the long term.

Photographers are generally pretty good at packing and looking after fragile gear, so just treat it like the rest of your equipment.

If you are new to eventing, the biggest enemy of printers is condensation, so at colder times of the year, keep your printers warmer than the environment you are using them in.

Mark Amies
22-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Dominic. Sorry I didn't see this, as it was in the Computers section.

I suggest you remove ribbon and paper.

Do call me if you want to discuss.

Thanks

DominicSmith
01-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Mark

When you remove the ribbon how do you store it as it seems very fragile? I can only think of puting it into a clean plastc bag, as the foam wrapping that came with it gets easily damaged when taking sellotape off. The paper should be fine with a little masking tape to stop it unravelling.

Thanks

http://www.bridalimage.co.uk

Mark Amies
04-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Well Dominic , it should be pretty straightforward, ususially put it into teh media box you got it from.

I guess the other guys will coem up with other ideas.

Amanda Wigmore
14-07-2011, 07:44 AM
In my opinion, if you were worried about the Media moving during transportation, you could remove the paper and leave the ribbon in.

My logic says that the paper is far heavier and therefore more likely to cause damage but less likely to be damaged when out of the machine.
The film is relatively light and in a carrier so less likely to damage anything, but more fragile to transport out of the printer.

At least I think that's what I mean...... :?
x

Peter Martin-Turner
14-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Ian your a lucky man. I sold a printer on here, sent by courier in the custom made System Insight flight case and Royal mail still managed to destroy it such that the heads were misaligned. On that occasion I don't believe the paper media was in it. That was a sheet fed 8x12 Mitsi. Not insured so my total loss.

Recently bought another Olmec OP1000, again on here, to have as a spare. Transported by courier, well packed, no visible damage to the original box or printer. It was however transported with the paper roll in which caused merry mayhem. Loose bits and bobs everywhere on opening the printer for inspection. It was very quickly determined that it was uneconomic to repair with the levy of a standard charge to inspect the damage by Photomart plus parts and labour together with the ancillliary transport/courier costs. Not sure what the sellers fallback was in terms of insurance.

FWIW if you are sending it via a courier, insure it to the full value and remove the paper roll if it is roll fed printer.

Mark Amies
14-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Good timing on this. This morning I saw a delivery from a customer. It came in a House of Fraser box. The item was heavy and loose, very loose.

Opened the box , no protective packaging , just wrapped in a bin liner. The printer ( a 3020 ) was actually upside down, and resting on the unwrapped paper tray. It was the craziest piece of packing I have ever seen.

I don't know yet it's reason for being sent ( I would imagine a trade in) , I hope it wasn't coming in for repair.

john christopher
14-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Two Rules

1. If you're going to be tossing your printer (Highland fling style) while in transit, then I'd take ALL of the media out but if you are moving your printer in a well designed custom fit and protective flight case, then I see no reason to remove the media ( but if you're going to go with the principle of "better safe than sorry", I'd go with Amanda and just remove the paper). I know how I treat my equipment (with respect) and in the four years that I've been a event photographer, I've never had a problem with transporting my printers with the media already pre-installed. What I will usually do is take the paper off the intake spool and rewind it back to the drum, attached with a bit of sticky tape.

2. Keep ALL the packaging that came with the printer, when it was first purchased. When using a courier service repack the printer in exactly the same way in which the printer was delivered to you (with ALL the media removed). That way the boys at System Insight or Photomart can't point the finger at YOU when it arrives on their doorstep all mashed up.

just my two cents.

John

The Dark Dude