Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Register to View Images? [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Register to View Images?

Mike Weeks
29-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Photocart gives you a number of different options as to who can view images. Until now I have been used to either fully accesible galleries or password protected galleries.

How many people regardless of software make potential customers login to view images i.e. have to create an account?

What do you think are the pros and cons of this?

Mike

Jon Sharp
29-05-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm client lead.

If I shoot a public event - open gallery, though all watermarked.

If it's a hired/private event I let each client decide, some are happy to have them public others want them passworded.

I also create come galleries that aren't listed, but sit on the root of my website - I email the clients the direct link to those and put an expiry date when I'll remove them.

Colin Brister
29-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Hi Mike

Well I got mine up and running at last, after moving 20000+ images..

Love Photocart, so much more info, I've gone for the everyone having to register, my theory is most of my customers will register, I shoot the same bunch over several years, they will have to in the end.

Mike Weeks
29-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Jon,

I always had the capability to do as you do and did it but it is a facility that Photocart gives to make all potential purchasers register. My aversion is that it is an either all or nothing and I would rather do it on a gallery by gallery basis.

Mike

chris nutt
29-05-2011, 04:43 PM
When I started to use Photocart (about 16 months ago) I asked for registration before the customers could view the galleries - but had a lot of complaints such as "why do I have to register to see my pictures?". Therfore I have now backed off to only ask for registration to add to cart and to add favourites etc. This seems to work OK for me. If folk want to buy, then they have to register anyway... But the kids can still browse their horse pictures without any tracking.

Mike Weeks
29-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Chris,

that is the sort of experience that I was looking for. I wonder if anybody else has tried it?

Mike

Graham Taylor
29-05-2011, 07:28 PM
I believe Paul Rogers has Photocart setup this way.

Trudy Trafford
30-05-2011, 06:28 AM
Mike,

We went down the register to see route, mainly because of the nature of equestrian. This along with an enhanced copyright notice e-mail at registration and greater control of the watermarking process has increased digital sales and as far as we can tell reduced the proliferation of stolen images on the net.

In six weeks we have just shy of 1000 registered users and have had perhaps a dozen who needed assistance with the process.

All in all a result!!

Robert Smith
30-05-2011, 07:26 AM
For me it depends on the event, if it is young school children in gymnastics, then they must register to see the photos

Rob

Michael Martin
30-05-2011, 07:14 PM
For me it depends on the event, if it is young school children in gymnastics, then they must register to see the photos

Rob

Been using Photocart for while now and went all registered about 12 months ago. I have had a few complaints, one today, and a few confusions. So far I have turned every complaint round into 'what a fantastic idea, I had not thought of that' response, though still waiting to hear back from today's, even if the reasons I give them are not the real reasons I do it.

My attitude is that do not pay me to be there (equestrian), so why should I allow them to see the images for free. The pack back to me is contact details for marketing purposes, though they always have the option of opting out of that too.

Mike Weeks
30-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Well I have customised the registration page and switched on that all must register. First prom of the year had about 60 hours before I did this so I will see a comparison when I do the next prom.

Still finding little bits and pieces in Photocart as well as some minor errors in the Beta however first montage sold and sales from registered customers.

Mike

Paul Rogers
31-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Another reason I make them register is because they have to put in their email address. Some will be bogus, but on the whole most people put their real email address in. So it's a great way to harvest email addresses for mail shots.

Mark Eaton
31-05-2011, 09:31 PM
I have had Photocart running for 2 weeks so far set with everyone must register to view. No complaints so far.

Whatever we do there will be those that disagree for their own reasons. If I choose to restrict the access to my online cart to those prepared to register that is my prerogative.
Those who are genuinely interested in purchasing images will have no objection.
For those unhappy to do so, that is their choice.

It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Mark.

Dave Derrett
01-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Still setting up my photocart so this has been an interesting read. Not sure if my regulars would go for having to register having had open access to the old gallery for a couple of years. Hmmmmmm..............
Will keep my eye on this thread.

Mike Weeks
01-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Dave,

whilst I can see that you can gather emails for marketing what I have an issue with is that I can not differentiate between types of customers i.e. proms, social and equestrian because I would like to target each group in a different manner or for different purposes. I have emailed Tim to introduce an email registration to view a gallery and if more were interested and would email him the same or similar request he might see it as a worthwhile addition.

What I feel you would then have is;

Open gallery
register to add to cart
register to view the potential new category
password protected

Until then everybody has to register. I have also added watermarks and logo via photocart and this looks effective.

Mike

Dave Derrett
02-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Well - just gone 'live' with my photocart. Made it to register so will see what happens...
Still needs some tweaks I think but if you want to have a look and maybe comment back - it's here www.rainhillphoto.co.uk/photocart (http://www.rainhillphoto.co.uk/photocart)
p.s. I know the folders come up twice - think I've worked out why.... but my brain hurts now....!!!!

Jeremy Nako
02-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Dave

As a customer - I've not used Photocart before - I have no idea as to what 'Registry ' is or why I should register with the registry !

Just an initial thought...

Duncan Harris
02-06-2011, 12:42 PM
I agree with Jeremy, think an explanation and selling the benefits is required, as Mike has done on his front page. I've just brought and uploaded photo cart, need to get it running before learning how to change pages but looks pretty straight forward.

Dave Derrett
02-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Dave

As a customer - I've not used Photocart before - I have no idea as to what 'Registry ' is or why I should register with the registry !

Just an initial thought...
Jeremy, as I understand it, only need to register to view once. Idea is to be able to email all registered people with any offers, news etc. Still early days but if there is opposition from customers then I will think about changing it to anybody can view.

Jeremy Nako
02-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Dave

My point is .. what's a registry..? Why should anyone click on that ?

It means nothing to most people (including me. !)

Drew Hadwin
02-06-2011, 01:26 PM
a

Michael Martin
02-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Since this last weekend I have had a number of complaints about having to register just to look at images. I am not changing the process that has not bothered more than a handful of folks over the last twelve months, but I have now written reasons and benefits for it on the front page before they hit the register button. I know these reasons may only be part of the story, but they do not need to know that I get a tenner for each email I supply to the Ugandans ;-) .

Mike Weeks
02-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Registry is something I would not need and easy enough to switch off. Essentially people pay in money (gifts) so that bride and groom or parents can then buy prints. Photocart has many such features but you dont have to use them all.

Mike

chris nutt
02-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Mike's right - Register and Registry are two very different things....

I have used the registry (only once) on the request of a B&G who wanted this feature after it had been offered by another photographer. You set it up for them and then the couple can send the link to friends, relatives etc and get them to pay money towards their wedding photography in place of a wedding present (it of course works with other photography stuff too...).

I turned out a real pain in the ar_e to administer and to sort out on the accounts. Only worth doing if it's a deal clincher.

Dave Derrett
02-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Mike's right - Register and Registry are two very different things....

I have used the registry (only once) on the request of a B&G who wanted this feature after it had been offered by another photographer. You set it up for them and then the couple can send the link to friends, relatives etc and get them to pay money towards their wedding photography in place of a wedding present (it of course works with other photography stuff too...).

I turned out a real pain in the ar_e to administer and to sort out on the accounts. Only worth doing if it's a deal clincher.
That;ll be switched off then...........

Mike Weeks
02-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Dave,

that will be in Customize>Menu Links then

Mike

Dave Derrett
02-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Done... :puter:

Mike Weeks
03-06-2011, 09:26 AM
More functionality!

I have just found that if you export the list of customers from an event, that it lists all those that have Registered and viewed that Gallery regardless of if they have purchased or not - targetted campaigns are now a possibilty. (obviously you have to have registration enabled)

Now if I can take that contact info and import into Foto SF and run my campaigns from there (which I know I can do) then I have a much slicker way of operating.

I'm loving it!

Mike

Trudy Trafford
03-06-2011, 09:38 AM
More functionality!

I have just found that if you export the list of customers from an event, that it lists all those that have Registered and viewed that Gallery regardless of if they have purchased or not - targetted campaigns are now a possibilty. (obviously you have to have registration enabled)

Now if I can take that contact info and import into Foto SF and run my campaigns from there (which I know I can do) then I have a much slicker way of operating.

I'm loving it!

Mike

On same wavelength....

Mike Weeks
06-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Given that you may put some people off if they have to wait for a confirmation email before they can enter the gallery I chose to turn off the email confirmation. Had 2 people over the weekend register with made up emails and what I did not know would happen is that they get an email regardless.

Therefore 2 bounced emails and I deleted 2 accounts.

Mike