Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Photocart vs. current online sales (jalbum) [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Photocart vs. current online sales (jalbum)

Dave Derrett
20-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Looking at photocart and reading some comments, also a natter with Graham T. it seems that it increases sales online.... Have you found this to be the case? Currently using jalbum chameleon and could do with more sales options, packages etc.
Not cheap after buying and installing and getting more storage via my I.T. man - and appears to be a bugger to set-up, is it worth going for?

Gavin Barker
20-05-2011, 09:43 AM
I think you will find Photocart a great addition to your business. Not only would it offer your event galleries a much cleaner shopping basket/checkout process than the existing 'jump to Paypal' method, but it would be great for other areas of your business too.

Photocart has something called price groups which are great for togs that have multiple areas of business. So you could set up a default Event Group with your Prints/Keyrings/Fridge Magnets etc and apply that pricing to Event galleries. Likewise you might have a PAYG Wedding Group that simply has 9x6 prints for 15 each, and maybe another for Studio Portraits with a wider product range. You could even have the same range of products but at different prices depending on the event.

In terms of complicated, yes it can appear so, but I think if you put some thought into what you want to do first before jumping in then it isn't so bad.
It is also very flexible in terms of discounts, private galleries and a whole range of other little features.

The only downside I have discovered is 'search'. I work with someone who has lots of pictures in the press with a unique code next to them. At the moment, Photocart doesn't let someone search across multiple galleries i.e. they need to be in the correct gallery before they can search for the picture code. This probably isn't a problem to most photographers.

Peter Martin-Turner
20-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Dave you can get the man from Photocart to set it up on your web site, cost is reasonable if I recall and would certainly save you hassle. I paid to have it done, just had to provide my ftp credentials. Very quick and that said I have never used it for real! Test gallery uploads seemed to go ok. The real time download facility was the one that sold it to me, the only thing holding me back is that I currently upload on average 30000 images per month, not all of which will have been optimised for instant download. I can't answer whether it will boost your sales but it will certainly offer you more than Jalbum in terms of functionality which is generally a good indicator.

I've stuck with everybodysmile for now as my gallery host I can't afford the time to devote to ensuring I get the best from Photocart. High on my wishlist though is some form of scripting that would automate much of the manual process that you need to employ to get your galleries online with them. About which possibility I shall now email them.

Graham Taylor
20-05-2011, 10:44 AM
I've stuck with everybodysmile for now as my gallery host I can't afford the time to devote to ensuring I get the best from Photocart. High on my wishlist though is some form of scripting that would automate much of the manual process that you need to employ to get your galleries online with them. About which possibility I shall now email them.

Peter

Dave's Uploaded allows you to upload by simply just drop the whole image folder including sub folders and auto upload.

Mike Weeks
20-05-2011, 11:33 AM
One of the other advantages of Photo Cart is that it is developing a good userbase here although I have to say that its own forum is a great place to get help and support.

Mike

Andy Haynes
20-05-2011, 12:30 PM
I've just swapped from something jAlbum based (although a bit better optimised than Chameleon) to PhotoCart, and I really regret not doing it a long time ago. The whole installation and setup, including running some test orders, took an evening. It seems very stable, simple, and you can customise just about anything. The packages feature work well, and uploading is very simple and quick. You don't Dave's uploader (seperate software) to do sub-galleries. You can FTP up a folder structure, and the only gallery you have to create manually is the top level one. All the lower levels are created and inherit pricing and style automatically.

Also, with the digital downloads, I've got some set to happen automatically, but you can also set them as a non-live download, so you can edit the photo and then send it to the client if that's your workflow.

Paul Rogers
20-05-2011, 01:00 PM
For anyone interested in PhotoCart I am running another webinar session this coming Monday night.

Mike Weeks
20-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Installation took maybe 15 minutes, it was the setup that took time. This was not because it was difficult but because of all the features available. I decided to go with version 6 which is in Beta so there have been some small issues but that is what you expect with a Beta. What has impressed is that Tim is quick to respond to issues.

Mike

Simon Wilson
20-05-2011, 04:55 PM
I Jumped ship when Photoreflect started playing up with no support from the states.
Never looked back,Very Highly recommended for all photographers selling on the net.