Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
DNP DS40 [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DNP DS40

Alun Roberts
07-05-2011, 08:40 PM
On my previous Olmec printer, it was suggested that I take out the paper reel and ink ribbon before switching it off.

I now have a DNP DS40, do I need to do the same ie take them both out, before switching the machine off?

Stuart Morley
08-05-2011, 03:24 PM
I can't speak about DNP but for all other printers there is no need to take the media out.

However if you intend to transport the media then that is a different thing.

I can't imagine DNP is any different to be honest.

I am surprised to hear you where advised to take media out of your ICI printer before turning off. I think there maybe some confusion here.

Kind Regards

Stuart

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

Mike Weeks
08-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Manufacturers advice when I had a Mitsubishi (9550) was to remove the media, the same for the Olmec as many, many printers have small spindles and the paper has a large mass - bounce it round in the back of your vehicle and destroy the inside of your printer.

The DNP has much larger spindles and is loaded differently so therefore there is a much lesser risk of internal damage however the official advice is still to remove.

Mike

Mark Amies
09-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Alun I would certainly back up with Stuart on the transportation issue. Do not transport the printer with media inside.

Alun Roberts
09-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks folks for the advice.
I will certainly take the media OUT before transporting the printer,

Mike Weeks
09-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Alun,

I have been using mine for 2 years and we have never removed the media, nor has this caused an issue, I just wanted you to be aware of the official advice.

Mike

Michael Martin
09-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Is the official advice to remove the paper roll, or both the paper and ink ribbon? Also, how many of actually do take the stuff out? Have to say I have never taken either out of my Mits. Can only see the ribbon getting damaged doing that.

Mark Amies
09-05-2011, 03:12 PM
I think you will find Michael that it is the official line from manufacturers per say. The media is a seperate item , it is not a fixed component of the printer. The main and biggest market for these printers, whatever brand is for photo retail , and as such they are not normally transported. That said they do survive well, but you would od yourself a favour by taking the media out. Whenever we do shows we make sure media is taken out.

Gareth_Stewart
10-05-2011, 02:16 AM
Like many im sure I have never removed media until time to replace it.

I do wonder how you keep the ribon and replace it exactly right if you remove it as surely it is wound exact? How do you keep it tight without damaging it?

Would removing the paper not be enough cant see the ink ribon doing much damage.

Mike Weeks
10-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Gareth,

due to the way that the ribbon loads in the DS40 & DS80 I find it hard to see what damage is possible as unlike the 9550 I had there is no drop down tray.

Mike

Mark Amies
10-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Guys, all I am doing is telling you. Whatever you do, remember that please.

;-)