Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
generator upgrade [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : generator upgrade

Dave Derrett
29-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Been using a Honda eu10i for a bit now with no probs at all. Now adding gear to the set-up so maybe could do with a 2kw jobbie.
Need to run 2xlaptops, 2 x wyse VS, 2x olmec 1000's, and other odd chargers and bits.
looking at eu20i but lots of dosh, anybody using Stephill, SDMO or other honda-engined gennies? Any good or do I save up for the honda?

Jeremy Nako
29-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Why not get another EU10i ?

You can link the 2 together so that they act as a single 2kw genny, which I believe is unique to Honda, though I may be wrong on the last bit.

Dave Derrett
29-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Why not get another EU10i ?

You can link the 2 together so that they act as a single 2kw genny, which I believe is unique to Honda, though I may be wrong on the last bit.
Think you're correct here but cost of another eu10i - could get a 'cheaper' 2kw one and get a few quid back on the one I've got......

Jeremy Nako
29-03-2011, 12:07 PM
True...

But then you'll have 2 excellent gennies, so should one ever have a problem...

Dave Derrett
29-03-2011, 12:48 PM
True...

But then you'll have 2 excellent gennies, so should one ever have a problem...
Don't yer just hate it when someones sensible!!!! :rofl:

Jeremy Nako
29-03-2011, 01:21 PM
:rofl:

ian griffiths
29-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Hey Dave,

I don't use the Eui's I've always used the bigger 2.7kva's, yes they are heavier and noisier but half the price and twice as powerful.

Have a look at these: SE2700 from Stephill Generators. Honda powered and about 350 or 500 as LPG models.http://www.stephill-generators.co.uk/products/3-se2700

We've got maybe 30 around the guys, never had a problem.

If you decide to go that way tell me, might be able to get you some discount.

Jeremy Nako
29-03-2011, 02:52 PM
I don't want this thread to turn into another 'this is best, no that's best', but...

Last year we applied for (but decided not take up) a pitch at the Kennel Club's biggest outdoor obedience trials.

The pitch was available because the KC had changed it's requirements from previous years and now would only allow LPG suitcase generators.. ie fully enclosed, which the photographer from the previous year didn't have. Presumably to prevent any issues with potential heat / burns ..?

Whilst I know that the requirement for LPG gennies is becoming more and more popular, I don't know if this is a similar trend, or if it was a total one off.

Dave Derrett
29-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Ian, thanks for the comments but really need a 'quiet' suitcase type as we do get a bit near the horses sometimes. Was looking at stephill 2kw model.
Jeremy, have heard of a few cases of lpg and suitcase being required although not had an issue myself yet.....

ian griffiths
29-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Hi Dave,

You know often the issue is in our own heads!

I've been doing equestrian at all levels for over 10 years, using the open type of generator, never had a complaint and never been told I couldn't use it. Actually never even been asked "what type of generator do you use?" Last year I myself covered approximately 20 equestrian events.

Duncan Harris
29-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Jeremy I know the photographer who was doing it and was complaining to me about it. He does many KC events and this was the first one he had trouble with and if I remember it was the venue that made the stipulation.

I had a Stephill and never gave me a problem in 4 years, once I learnt it had a lower oil cut off !!. If I brought another gene I would by a suitcase lpg, nothing to do with what is best I just believe that it only takes one jobsworth to stop you working and you've lost anything you saved buy buying cheaper. On the other hand if your working to a budget then you have to cut your cloth.

Don't think you can go wrong with either an EU or Stephill. I've seen on the forum Kipper recommended buy the only person I know who uses one does recommend them but I have known him have a couple of problems with it. May be kipper owners can give their thoughts to offer you another option.

simon coates
29-03-2011, 06:25 PM
I've seen on the forum Kipper recommended buy the only person I know who uses one does recommend them but I have known him have a couple of problems with it. May be kipper owners can give their thoughts to offer you another option.

I've been using a Kippor 1KVa generator for the last 12 months or so and it has never missed a beat. Nice and quiet and compact and runs very well indeed.

Simon

Mike Weeks
29-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Just because it says genuine Honda engine does not mean that you will get the same performance as a fully Badged Honda and likewise the Kippor generators that are Honda clones (they have tried to shut them down a few times) - but that is not saying they are bad.
The lowest quoted noise and longest running times are quoted by Honda and there can be significant differences and as usual it comes down to price / amount of use / quality and I would suggest a bit of research is done by anybody purchasing.

Mike

ian griffiths
29-03-2011, 07:43 PM
When I started I used to hire generators from a range of hire shops in and around Beds and Northants, so when it came to buying I had a rough idea of what was needed.

My research was simple, I called 4 of the hire shops and asked their advice, they all said the same thing, "If it ain't got a Honda engine, don't touch it!

that was 10 years ago and I will admit reliabilty of other brands may well have improved but I do believe the advice given was sound, we have over 30 Honda driven Stephill generators amongst the guys, none have ever let us down unlike some of the 199 cheap imports from China.

I have a mate who runs a few burger vans (Roach Coaches!!) who swears by the 4.5kva Kippor Diesel, but they are very heavy and noisey, they do however run from 6am to 3pm 7 days a week so a very different animal.

Wayne Jarratt
29-03-2011, 07:45 PM
I've been using a Kippor 1KVa generator for the last 12 months or so and it has never missed a beat. Nice and quiet and compact and runs very well indeed.

I can second this recommendation I have the 2KVa one, more than enough to power all my kit which is a lot! As Simon mentioned very quiet and very reliable, considering the price I think it's hard to beat. If I were doing a huge amount of outdoor events every year then I'd probably go for the Honda Eu. I personally can't justify the price for the amount of outdoor events I actually cover.

Wayne

Robert Smith
29-03-2011, 11:23 PM
I have been using the same Kipor generator for 5 years, and not a bother, its the 3000ti,
Quiet, frugal and cheap to buy, would have another in a flash

Rob

David Saunders
05-04-2011, 07:49 AM
I bought a Kippor 2kva a year or so ago & can't fault it.
I run 2 laptops, upto 6 viewing stations & a Mistubishi 9800 as well as a few sundry items without any problems at all.
Ideally would have gone for a Honda, but simply couldn't afford one!
Quiet, has been completely reliable, (relatively)easy to service.

Natalie-Briggs
16-05-2011, 08:30 AM
I use a Honda EU10i and have also used it a number of times to run Mark Eatons van setup, main computer, 2x laptops, 2x printers, card machine ....... has always coped fine

andycampbell
16-05-2011, 06:10 PM
have had a kippor 2.6kva for a year now , quiet efficient and never missed a beat,
powers printers 4 pcs and monitors and a light with out a problme