Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Olympus P400 Anybody any experience [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Olympus P400 Anybody any experience

RobMarsh
17-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Have been offered one of these.
Am interested to hear of peoples comments etc, experiences and if anybody knows media availability

Thanks

richard ham
17-07-2009, 11:58 AM
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/printers/0,1000001029,10000182,00.htm

Mark Amies
17-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Getting hold of media wil be difficult , and increasingly more expensive in comaparison with othe more popular, and more modern printing devices.

We had a number of P400 users on our books but they have mainly moved on now.

Stuart Morley
20-07-2009, 04:12 PM
A very old printer now, media is expensive and I would stear clear to be honest.

Dealing with Olympus these days is a nightmare as well.

Although I do I media in stock :)

Kind Regards

Stuart

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

RobMarsh
20-07-2009, 04:38 PM

Although I do I media in stock :)

Kind Regards

Stuart

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk

Interesting comment, I was told today by your sales people that you no longer stock media or support this manufacturer.

Thanks for all the comments and I have now posted a seperate post in the Sale & Wanted for a printer

ian griffiths
21-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi Rob,

I used to have a number of these, very reliable but they do have a really annoying habit of wasting one sheet of paper with dust marks every time you move the damn things.

Media is much cheaper if you buy from the US but as has previously been said it is expensive in comparison to more modern 8" printers at around £1.75 per sheet.

There are number of resellers on Ebay from the US, the one I used was based in Mass called Huntsphotoandvideo.com very friendly and quick delivery.

john christopher
21-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Yo Rob

I've owed and used the Olympus P440 printer for the last three and a half years (in fact, you can still read my review of the printer at System Insight website). I choose this machine to enter the event photography business over that of the Mitsubishi CP8000DW (another great machine, more on this later) because it printed 10X8 prints and had mac drivers. I had come from a newspaper environment and was a MAC boy to the core. Don't let anyone tell you different, the P440 is a GREAT printer which is capable of producing truly beautiful and vibrant large format prints. This is the upside. The downside is: it's slow, cumbersome to move around and the media is and has always been very, very expensive and difficult to source in the UK. I gave up two years ago and now successfully source all of my media (for the P440) from the United States. Go on Ebay and see for yourself. Last time I brought a job lot which included 4 boxes of paper and still had change out of £200. I would now only consider using my P440 as a desktop printer hooked up to my home-office macs. Like I said it's real difficult to move around. I fitted mine in a flight case (with wheels) along with an original Blue and White G3 iMAC. It paid for itself within the 1st year of trading which then gave me the opportunity to finally purchase the Grand Daddy of ALL dye subs, the CP 8000 DW. I'm now looking to sell mine to upgrade to either the Mits or DNP large format printers but the P440 has given me sterling service in it's time and you can't ask more than that. :diff:

The Dark Dude