Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Left over paper [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Left over paper

PeteArciero
11-02-2011, 10:00 AM
I think its because i've been printing smaller sizes on a 9x6 roll, I've ended up with enough spare rolls (2) to make a new roll.

Might be a daft question but is it possible to just buy a cellophane roll on it own.

andrew waring
11-02-2011, 10:18 AM
The simple answer here is No, throw it away.

Mike Weeks
11-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Pete,

this is the same with all printer models - there is spare for the auto feeds when you reload etc., get in the habit of changing paper and ink roll at the same time and no you cant get just the ink.

Mike

Bryan Osborne
11-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Speak to Mark Amies at Photomart, they sell ink ribbon only for my Fuji ASK dunno about other models!

Mark Amies
11-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks Bryan

I spoke to Peter. Most of you guys will be aware that you will aways get spare paper left at the end of the roll when the ribbon has finished. It hapens on nearly all roll fed machines.

To my knowledge this is in anticpation of peopel touching teh ooutside of teh paper roll on loading - which may leave grease marks, so when yuou load in , it will take off teh outer surface as waste. The then write in the equation that you may cahnge te paper rolls over if you do a number of different sizes.

I admit it does look bad, but it is for very good pratical reasons. The ribbon is the the element that dictates the number of prints - not the length of the paper roll.

PeteArciero
11-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Just an idea, trying to do my bit for the planet, there's about 1/2 in left on each roll and they can't even be recycled!

Mark Amies
11-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Further to that , yes it is possible to get spare ribbons for some makes of machine - Copal derived machines like Fuji in particular , but certaibly not Mitsubishi , DNP or HiTi to my knowledge.

David Wardle
13-02-2011, 02:12 AM
It is a shame ribbons can't be bought on their own, as has been said, saves on waste... oh well, guess we will just have plenty of notepaper...

Mark Amies
14-02-2011, 08:59 AM
If you are going along to Focus , it may be a good idea to speak to the manufacturers ( any of them) , and tell them of your concerns.

David Wardle
15-02-2011, 01:55 AM
Good idea Mark, hope to make it down this year

Stuart Morley
15-02-2011, 08:12 AM
To be honest I can't see the manufacturers doing anything about the extra paper left on the roll as it is meant to be on there for a variety of different reasons.

If they reduced the amount of paper then people would then complain that
a) There is no spare paper for the people that change the media before the end of roll (different media sizes)
b) The last few prints would have a lot of curl to them as they are near the end of the roll.

If they could easily reduce the amount of paper then they would do as it would save them money of course.

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

ian griffiths
15-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Hi all,

Just to put a different opinion in from those who are very busy at larger events, I wouldn't want to be changing paper and ribbons at different times as it would hinder productivity, just think, its twice as many stopages, one for paper and one for ribbon. Given the incredibly low cost of the media vs profitability, this would cost me more than it would save.

On a different tack connected with media, I'll start a new thread

Trudy Trafford
15-02-2011, 08:37 AM
As long as the roll produces the amount of prints it says it does on the box then we are no worse off, it would be more annoying to have the precise amount of paper on the roll only to find they haven't allowed for the roll changes etc.!

I take my left over roll ends and ribbons to my daughters primary school, they are always glad of bits & bobs like this to do their art stuff and it keeps a constant face to face contact with them for when they need my services!!!

Mark Amies
15-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Nice on Trudy - you know that is exactely what I have suggested to people before - the paper left over can make great banners, or 'doddling' mater, wheras the ribbons, could ( if used safely ) be used for decorations, etc.

I was also told that the extra paper on the roll is also needed to create tension on the roll end.

ian griffiths
15-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Good point Mark, if the extra paper wasn't there just think how curly the last prints would be!