Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Apple Firewall and Antivirus [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Apple Firewall and Antivirus

Duncan Harris
05-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Right just opened the box of my new iMac I brought 2 weeks ago and now the fun begins being a PC man through and through.

Should I turn on the Apple firewall and do I need any antivirus software ?

I wouldn't touch Microsoft firewall with a barge pole as it tries to takeover so used zonealarm or things similar.

As far as antivirus is concern apples users (oh god I'm one now) seem to brag it's not needed but is that the case now with the intel chip and apples starting to catch on nowadays (lol). In the future will be using windows on it but pretty certain that will be virtual using vmware or parallels.

Sorry chaps you're going to get feed up of my questions but I have brought the apple one-to-one training so will try to keep it to the odd questions !!

Thanks

ian bonthrone
05-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Duncan,

I do not use anti virus on my Mac.
Mail picks up more Junk and blocks/filters it better than any windows spam filter.

I have never had a virus, but then again Apple software and OS is (apparently) very difficult to attack.

For the attackers the number of Mac's in the world is still minimal compared to Windows machines.

Alan Warner
05-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Duncan,

Mail picks up more Junk and blocks/filters it better than any windows spam filter.

I have never had a virus, but then again Apple software and OS is (apparently) very difficult to attack.

For the attackers the number of Mac's in the world is still minimal compared to Windows machines.

Duncan

Ditto, never used Anti virus although do have a firewall but its not really needed...

Al'

ian griffiths
05-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Hi Duncan,

Saw a lovely quilted Anorak the other day and thought of you! :rofl:

Duncan Harris
05-02-2011, 03:22 PM
ha ha Ian.

Won't do antivirus then.

Feel better having firewall, are you using the apple one ?

Cheers for your help guys (well not yours Ian :D )

Mac McBride
07-02-2011, 08:38 AM
I have never used AV on my MacS, just think about the sites you are visiting and you will be fine. As for a firewall, are you connected to the internet though a router...?

Do you have a hardware firewall in your router....

I bet you do......

Why have one locally as well.....!

Duncan Harris
07-02-2011, 09:23 AM
I have never used AV on my MacS, just think about the sites you are visiting and you will be fine. As for a firewall, are you connected to the internet though a router...?

Do you have a hardware firewall in your router....

I bet you do......

Why have one locally as well.....!

Thanks Mac for your views.

Think about the sites I'm visiting what are you suggesting, how very dare you :D

Yes connected via an old router I'm just about to change, never been convinced about the firewall on that.

I'll turn the software firewall on and then probably turn it off when get new router.

It's the experience of flipping microsoft firewall that makes me think about not using it but must admit after just using the Mac for a couple of days I'm getting to feel that Apple stuff just works !! (oh no turning into a Apple evangelist :-o )

Ed Brown
07-02-2011, 12:12 PM
I dont really use AV or FW but I do have AV installed, clam XAV or whatever its called. I just right click and check no viruses are in emails or link. Not for my benefit but the PC people I sent them to who the virus will attack
:puter:

Touch wood - never had a virus and been using MAC since at college :)

Jon Sharp
07-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Duncan,

Apparently up until recently it wasn't popular enough for hackers and morons to waste time to develop malicious software, like unix though, as the popularity is growing you may find more appearing.