Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Can Eye-Fi do this? Split uploads etc. [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Can Eye-Fi do this? Split uploads etc.

Drew Hadwin
02-02-2011, 07:45 PM

Alan Warner
02-02-2011, 07:48 PM
1. I leave the range of the base station, go of and shoot a class. When I come back into range, will it then automatically upload the images without me having to do anything, or re-align it with the wireless server.

A: It should do (is meant to but dosnt always)

2. If its part way through the upload, and I leave the range of the base station, will it then continue the upload when I'm back in range?

A: It should do (is meant to but dosnt always)

I know I could go all out and get the range extended etc, but at first I want a simple stupid solution.

Al'

Jon Sharp
02-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Sometimes I have to turn the camera on and off to get it recognised and re-connected.

richard ham
03-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Quickly switching the camera off/on or just clicking on the Eye-Fi icon in the tool bar kicks it back into life quicker; however, just leave it and in 20-30 seconds it does re-connect.

Since upgrading to the Pro X2 I've had no issues, just be patient and keep on shooting.

Drew Hadwin
03-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies and help with this.

Eye Fi card nor ordered ;-)

Duncan Harris
03-02-2011, 09:53 PM
I use eye-fi at small socials and been fine but have never been confident to use them at outside events with large numbers of images. My outside events could be 200/300 images whilst out of range or be in range shooting large number in short space of time. Anyone using them in that sort of environment and if so do they cope and have you lost any images ?

Cheers

john wright
04-02-2011, 12:33 AM
Hi Duncan

I've shot over over 10 000 images in the last 6 months using the eye-fi cards and not lost one yet. I've probably shot at least that again but using standard cards. Its a sad way to spend your time :D

These have usually been within range but (at a guess) around 10% have been outside range. Had no problems once back in range.

There is a short period (in the order of 20 seconds) once you get into range before transmission will start. This seems to be a hello hello cycle and then acquiring an IP address etc. Once this cycle is completed then images will start to transfer pretty much immediately.

Transmission speed of the images on the card will vary depending upon range, signal quality, wireless settings (b,g,n), card wi-fi support (b,g,n) and file size. If you are transferring 200 images at a time then you will want to maximise the transmission speed by getting as close to the wireless source as possible. I would still be looking at 5 seconds an image or thereabouts so would expect transfer rates of 12 to 15 images a minute. Image size will obviously make a big difference as will using an 'n' specification card and router. Using an 'n' spec card and a medium fine jpeg file I have had images coming in at about 2 seconds each. I would think you are looking at times in the order of 10 to 15 minutes to transfer 200 images (again, depending on file size).

John

Duncan Harris
04-02-2011, 12:59 AM
Thanks John great info, cheers for taking the time.

That gives me confidence to use with that number of images. If I'm hitting the 200 and out of range then the 10-15 mins not that good unless have a break (what's that :D ) but not a problem either whip the card out and download or if know in that situation just use an ordinary card for that session.

Again thanks, very helpful.

john wright
04-02-2011, 02:23 AM
If you whip the card out and put it in a reader within range of the router then it will use wi-fi to send the images just as it would from the camera. No need to do a manual transfer. Stick a second card in the camera and keep shooting. The eye-fi centre application can handle multiple cards at the same time.

John

Duncan Harris
04-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Sounds good to me and doesn't disturb sales, cheers