Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Eye fi [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Eye fi

Alastair Moore
26-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi

Just found out the the eye fi doesn't come In a c.flash card, thought they would've made them for both nikon and canon am using nikon d700 and d300- Any suggestions for other than eye fi and the expensive nikon wireless systems for sending photos wirelessly to desktop??

Thanks guys

Alastair Moore
Lifetime image
Facebook.com/lifetimeimage

Mac McBride
26-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Hi mate, if you do a search this is talked about a lot.

It will not work on the D700 because it is a type 1 CF slot. The d300 though will work because it is a type II slot that will allow you to use an SD to CF adapter.

But there is a recommended one to get that uses a plastic enclosure.

Thanks
Mac

Alastair Moore
27-01-2011, 11:28 PM
awrite mac thanks for that buddy, u dont happen to have a link for the adapter seen a few both with mixed views

thanks again

Walter James
28-01-2011, 11:34 PM
We brought a Eye Fi card and an adaptor formy 50d.... Very dissapointed that it would not work. 120 down the drain.....

I am still looking for an affordable wire fi way of doing Event Photography....

Wayne Jarratt
29-01-2011, 08:44 AM
We brought a Eye Fi card and an adaptor formy 50d.... Very dissapointed that it would not work. 120 down the drain.....

I presume this is because of the magnesium alloy body? Have you tried speaking to Rob Marsh about this just to make sure?

I've got two 40d's with two Canon WFT E3 wireless transmitters. When I looked into going wireless a while ago the eye fi was still in it's infancy and there was a lot of uncertainty around it working in various bodies. I looked at the price and it was mighty tempting just to get it and try it. Obviously I didn't go down that road and I have to say I've never regretted it. Ok the Canon transmitters are massively overpriced, I mean come on, I paid more for it than my 40d body! However, once you get them working they are simply stunning. I've never once had a single problem with it, the range is excellent and the single battery lasts me for around five or six events. I've given it a thorough road test at many indoor and outdoor events. I shoot Jpeg Medium size Normal compression, this gives you about a 1mb file. Each file takes 1 second to transmit, it's lightning fast. It just works as they say at Apple.

I think the Canon transmitters have actually gone UP in price since I bought them! All I can suggest is shop around, and view it as an investment. You get what you pay for at the end of the day. Maybe try and get one secondhand? The WFT E3 will work in your body with a firmware upgrade, I believe Alan Warner has done this so if you do decide to get one perhaps have a word with him.

The only downside of the Canon transmitter (apart from the price) is that once you've got one, you will want to get another for your second body, they're that good!

Wayne

richard ham
29-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Here's a link to an adapter.
When you receive the adapter, use a stanley knife or thin blade to remove the thin metal coverings on both side of the adapter, they are held on with double sided tape and are easy to remove.
Make sure the card adapter is working ok before doing this in case you get a rougue one.

I have 4 adapters in all. Some have a metal non removeable case which inhibits the signal. The one i've linked below has a plastic body which helps distance/speed of transmission.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230538194444&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT)

andrew waring
29-01-2011, 11:34 AM

Why won't it work? I use a 50D and eyefi all the time with no problems. Eyefi card was 29.99 and adapter 11.

Alan Warner
29-01-2011, 11:45 AM
I can also confirm the Original Eye Fi does indeed work like a dream on in 50D ect...

however there are problems with the newer x2 Eyefi cards & CF Adapters in Canon XXD range of Cameras

However XXXD range & 1D range are reported to be working with 90-100% compatibility as have SD indeed 500/550/1000 have builtin eye fi support, you have to set power saving to none in 1D range for max compatibility,

Hope the above helps...

Al'

john wright
29-01-2011, 12:52 PM
The following link has a good table of what works and does not work

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_ ... 0851-10852 (http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10055-10851-10852)

A couple of points.
The card for the 50D and 5D is the older original Classic Pro card. These are now quite difficult to obtain. You will struggle to find second hand ones on Ebay.

The link Richard gave is THE adaptor of choice. You do not need to remove both metal plates, just the one on the front. Removing the one on the back exposes the electronic components and testing has shown that leaving it in place makes little to no difference to signal strength.

For event work were I am using studio lights I will usually use a 450D and a x2 card. This works very well and is a light set up.

The other option for Canon cameras is to shoot tethered to a netbook slung over your shoulder. The netbook then ftp's files to the print kiosk wirelessly. This gives you a back up on the netbook and if you use something like PhotoThumb FTP will auto ftp and will send when it is within range of the wireless signal.

http://www.photothumb.com/ftp/

The netbook solution is a good general purpose cost effective method of getting wireless capability and generally the netbook will have better wi-fi capabilities than an eye-fi card so giving you better ranges.

John

Alan Warner
29-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I will usually use a 450D and a x2 card.

Great combo John especially for Black tie ect & studio type events for less than the cost of a Canon Grip & at faster data transfer rates @ optimal range...

as is the 1000D despite its cheap price tag produces excellent results especially if you use your decent optics...

Al'

andrew waring
29-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Here's the eye fi card I use with my 50D:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eye-Fi-Wi-Fi-Geo- ... 43a0e8dc8d (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eye-Fi-Wi-Fi-Geo-Tagging-2GB-Wireless-SD-Memory-Card-/290462424205?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessor ies_MemoryCards&hash=item43a0e8dc8d)

Best to turn off the Geo Tagging though as it slows it down.

john wright
29-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the link Andrew. I forgot to mention these. If you do not need RAW or ad-hoc capability (very unreliable in my experience) then you do not need the Pro card.

The card linked to by Andrew is fine for Jpg only shooting. As per Andrews recommendation you should turn geo-tagging off in the options - this applies for all cards with this feature.

John

Jase Moody
06-12-2011, 12:39 AM
I have a need for a canon wireless system so I have bought an eye fi card for my 60d and a WFT for my 7D. So far I have found the eye fi card to be totally useless. I am using it around 10ft from a wireless router with a high gain antenna. When you shoot your first image it begins to transmit it. But the thing is that once you snap another image it appears to stop transmitting whilst it processes the new shot, on a shoot yesterday where I was snapping away continually it took almost 20 minutes for the first 8mp file to be received.

The WFT system seems to work better, although I am having some issues with the WFT and the camera body suddenly stopping communicating and the camera having to be turned off to reset it.

john wright
06-12-2011, 08:08 AM
I have a need for a canon wireless system so I have bought an eye fi card for my 60d and a WFT for my 7D. So far I have found the eye fi card to be totally useless. I am using it around 10ft from a wireless router with a high gain antenna. When you shoot your first image it begins to transmit it. But the thing is that once you snap another image it appears to stop transmitting whilst it processes the new shot, on a shoot yesterday where I was snapping away continually it took almost 20 minutes for the first 8mp file to be received.

The WFT system seems to work better, although I am having some issues with the WFT and the camera body suddenly stopping communicating and the camera having to be turned off to reset it.

This is an unfortunate limitation of the Eye-Fi cards. It is not caused by poor reception (range or interference) but by the way the eye-fi card reads and writes images. As it rarely causes problems most do not encounter it however it has caught myself out twice in the last year. It seems that it gives priority for the writing of new images to the card over sending queued images. This is not a problem in a relatively slow shooting environment but can be a serious problem where you are taking multiple shots of the same subject. I use them extensively for Grotto work and for this they are ideal. Child comes in, photographer takes a shot, child goes out. Two maybe three shots every 3 minutes. Faster paced events (proms, black tie etc) where you are taking a shot every 10 seconds puts a new image into the card before it has finished sending the last one. The Eye-fi cannot read and write to the card simultaneously so gives priority to writing (otherwise you would lose images) and stops reading the images to send. When all writing has stopped it then starts to read and transmit images again. The only ways around this (if using eye-fi) are to have break between subjects or to shoot two cameras and swap cameras between subjects.

The dedicated WFT units do not have this problem as the WFT unit maintains a separate buffer and appears to be capable of reading from the bottom of the buffer whilst writing to the top of the buffer. A FIFO stack to give it a correct name and sound as if I know more than I do :-)

So, the bottom line. The Eye-Fi card is NOT suitable for fast paced events where image delivery time is critical.

HTH
John

Dave Derrett
06-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Have been using a mk 1 eyefi card with a cf adaptor in my 7D for a while. Does slow up on the transfer when busy and also seems to transfer in a bit of a random order...
Also have a mk2 card which I understood won't work with a cf adaptor - is this wrong? Also had problems with my 60D not transferring unless you turn it off and on then enable eyefi in menu.
Just out of curiosity.... how much faster/better is the canon wft?

Jase Moody
21-12-2011, 09:23 PM
I finally got my WFT set up correctly yesterday and used it for the first live job. I sat in a santas grotto snapping away, about 20 ft away I had another member of staff with a laptop and snaplab, by the time the parent and child walked the 20ft to the print station, all of the images I had shot (2-3 per child on average) were sat waiting for them to view.

I havent been able to find anything to use my Eye Fi card for, shooting any more than a couple of photos every 5 minutes seems to render it useless, basically it is now being used as an expensive SD card.

john wright
21-12-2011, 10:56 PM
The Canon WFT units are many many leagues above the eye-fi unit in speed of transfer and range of transfer. They do not suffer the buffering problems of the eye-fi cards and use the robust and well proven FTP protocol.

Eye-fi used within its limitations is a very good addition to the box of tricks. I use them extensively for grotto work and transfer many thousands of images from multiple grottos to a central print kiosk without any issues. I use a wireless nano router in each grotto strapped to the leg of the tripod. This ensures the eye-fi is transferring at full speed and well within range of the wireless AP. Each camera has its own Nano router. The Nano routers connect via ethernet back to the print kiosk (actually via ethernet over mains).

The Canon WFT units and the eye-fi units have their own place in the scheme of things. The mistake often made is trying to get an eye-fi card to perform like a WFT unit. It never will and was never designed to.

HTH

John

PeteArciero
22-12-2011, 11:50 AM
I tried the eye-fi card at a xmas party (800 guests) worked fine during the pre dinner bit, there was a queue to both workstations so by the time they got to select, the images had meandered their way across.

Trouble happened when the set up got left during the meal, it just went to sleep or something, nothing i could do would get the darn thing transmitting again, the guests all came in at a rush straight after the meal and luckily I had the usb cable laid out and ready. A similar thing happened when testing a week before, I left the set up running in the evening and nada, then happened to look at it after breakfast the next day and suddenly the jpg's started being sent accross - 8 hours to transmit!

This kind of problem makes me think that its not really quite up to the job for any large fast event, why do they stick the word 'Pro' on cheap consumer products - (I had a Fuji S3 'Pro' - anything but)

Its not an indictment as this product was very useful at other slower events but you get what you pay for!

john wright
22-12-2011, 08:52 PM
When you shoot the first image to the card the eye-fi will negotiate an IP address with the DHCP server on the network. This usually takes around 20 seconds. All camera power saving and auto power off features must be disabled or the card will lose the IP address and start the negotiation process again. That initial 20 second delay (first image only after power up) and a stream of incoming images being written to the card will stop it transmitting the images until the write cycles have stopped and it can read the card again. For relatively slow paced black tie events the eye-fi is usually fine. As soon as the pace is increased then the WFT units or the tethered netbook (if wireless is required) are the reliable options.

John

Mark Eaton
25-12-2011, 01:17 AM
Have just completed 4 events with my new eye fi card. Worked flawlessly. Happy man.

No wire in my way as with my WT-4, no battery issues. Card and reader 55 what a bargain.

Mark