Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Laptop to PC - Networking issues [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Laptop to PC - Networking issues

danfarina
18-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Hi All,

I have not been able to figure out how to get my laptops working as viewing stations yet.

I can see the images using IE on my PC after I create the gallery in Jalbum, but I have not been able to do the same with my laptops.

I changed the IP address on my laptop to 192.168.2 from 198.162.1 .

I've turned off the firewalls, but nothing yet.

Help please.

Thanks,

Dan

Mike Weeks
18-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Dan,

is the WAMP server running?
How have you got them connected together?

Each computer will have its own address and this goes together with the subnet mask

so if one machine (the one with Jalbum) is 192.168.2.1 with a mask of 255.255.255.0 then the other machine can be 192.168.2. (2-254 here) and has the same mask. When you open IE on the second machine type in this address 192.168.2.1 and not a www. type address

Now if that is not working I would try something simple, open a command prompt (dos window) on the second machine and type ping 192.168.2.1 which should work. If it does not let us know what the output is and I will see if I can help further.

Mike

RobMarsh
18-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Othr things to check and advise on

What operating systems are you using on the hosting PC and your laptops. There have been problems with certain versions of Windows when trying to network

Have you marked the folder containing the jalbum output as "shared" . Can't remember if it technically needs to be or not but worth doing

danfarina
18-01-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm trying hard to not get really angry. I've been messing with this for hours.

Ok, Yes, I have wamp sever running. I'm running Windows 7 (64 bit) on both machines.

I downloaded an older version (7.1) of Jalbum a few days ago, but I don't see improvement.

Now if that is not working I would try something simple, open a command prompt (dos window) on the second machine and type ping 192.168.2.1 which should work. If it does not let us know what the output is and I will see if I can help further.

It does NOT work Mike. I must have been wrong about my IP address.? It shows 169.254.213.84 .

WHEN I PING FROM MY LAPTOP IT TRIES IT 3 TIMES AND SAYS "REQUEST TIMED OUT".

DAN

RobMarsh
18-01-2011, 05:13 PM
I must have been wrong about my IP address.? It shows 169.254.213.84 .

WHEN I PING FROM MY LAPTOP IT TRIES IT 3 TIMES AND SAYS "REQUEST TIMED OUT".

DAN

Dan

The critical number is the third set in the IP address, this designates the network. If your laptops are on a different number to the 213, then they will not normally see the network. Check your laptop IP address, then if it is on a different number try manually setting them all to the same network number

Mike Weeks
18-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Rob sorry but that info is wrong, any part can specify the network, it is down to the subnet mask as to which bits are important.

Dan,

that IP address is one of a range that Windows allocates by default when it does not have one set or can not obtain one via DHCP (an automatic address allocation system).

At a command prompt run the following command on both machines 'ipconfig'

I have just added your address to Skype.

Mike

danfarina
18-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Thank you Mike!

I've got 3 out of 4 laptops working so far!

Dan

Mike Weeks
18-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Told you Dan,

weve made a networking guru out of you

Skype certainly makes things possible.

Mike

danfarina
29-01-2011, 02:11 AM
I'm having the same problem again!

I can't see any images on the host pc or my laptops. I've gone back through all the same steps. ug.

Please help. I have 7 hockey games to set up for after work tomorrow night.

Thanks,

Dan

Ray Jordan
01-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Dan

If you are using DHCP on your router to assign IP addresses to your PCs/laptops, make sure that your router is the first thing that is switched on, so the DHCP server is up and available to issue IP addresses.

I would personally use static IP addresses which can be configured manually on each PC/laptop (in Win 7, in Networking and Sharing Center, Change adapter settings, Local Area Connection - right click - properties, Internet Protocol Version 4 - Properties, and check "Use the following IP address"). Make sure that the "master" PC especially has a static IP address, and then give IP addresses to each PC/laptop in the same range, and use the same subnet mask as your master. eg if your master has an IP address of 192.168.1.5 (and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0) you only need to change the last number. You have from 1-254 to choose from. I would start from about 20 i.e. 192.168.1.20 and go upwards. The subnet mask is always the same i.e. in this case 255.255.255.0.

The router also needs to be in this range and is usually the first thing configured and so dictates the IP address range and subnet mask, and usually takes the first IP address in the range, in this case 192.168.1.1. If you are starting from scratch, this is the order I would configure things:

1. Router (make a note of the IP address range you configure, in this example the IP configuration would be 192.168.1 and the DHCP server usually automatically takes the first one, in this example 192.168.1.1)
2. Master PC with viewing server on it
3. Viewing stations

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ray

Bryan Osborne
01-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Oh for a plug and play solution surely the EP worlld is big enough for someone to sreate one?

Mike Weeks
01-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Oh for a plug and play solution surely the EP worlld is big enough for someone to sreate one?

DHCP :puter:

Bryan Osborne
01-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I meant an Event Viewer and Storfront that just installs and autoconfigues "X2 Viewing/sales stations...