Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Portable Wifi Router ? [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Portable Wifi Router ?

Robert Smith
30-12-2010, 12:50 PM
I see that people use portable routers to extend the distance they can work with Eye Fi
who makes these

Rob

john wright
30-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Hi Rob

there are a couple of units which are popular. The D-Link one is probably the most common.

Extending the range using a portable router is a bit more technically challenging than just connecting dirctly to a wireless router.

In a scenario commonly used (using a portable router) the eye-fi connects to a laptop or netbook at the photographers position using the portable router. The laptop/netbook then connects to the print station router using a wireless connection. The gain in distance is achieved by the netbook or laptop having a superior aerial and better transmission/reception characteristics when compared with the eye-fi card.

Starting with a quality high gain router and aerial at the print station connecting directly to the eye-fi card will give you similar ranges to those achieved using consumer type routers and standard aerials used in the typical portable router set up.

This does not mean the portable router set up is a wasted effort. If you combine this with a quality router and aerial at the print station you can achieve quite impressive ranges.

Hope this helps.

John

RobMarsh
30-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Hi Rob
One important thing to remember

You can run upto 100 metres of network cable between your computer and your wireless router, so you can always stick the router behind a background or similar, if your sales and shooting areas are seperated, then just run the ethernet cable along the room taping it down about every four to six feet against the corner on the skirting board and fully tape down wherever you go across a door way

Geoff McGrath
31-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Hi Rob
I have a Netgear which I bought for the purpose. I'm not at home at the moment so cant quote you the exact model number, (it might be the WN802) but I think it cost me in the region of about 35.

I bought it on the recommendation of John (Christopher) as he uses the same one. I've never actually set it up and used it, as I just didnt get round to setting up my wireless card.

So, I'm happy to sell it, if you're interested drop me an email to geoff@mcgrathphotography.co.uk and I will get you more details.

John if you're reading this, maybe you could fill in the blanks? Certainly looks like a great piece of kit.

Geoff.

Bryan Osborne
31-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Rob

Possibly a case for a simple A4 schematic and installation instruction as word doc or PDF?

I use the Cat5 cable solution where I have the room... Wondered about the potential to
use an existing cat5 cable network if the venue has one???

Geoff McGrath
31-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Bryan
Would their cat 5 not be wired through a server/switch? Maybe be permission issues with the venue? I've only a little info which is very dangerous. Just a thought tho...

Next thing we'd be being wrestled to the ground for breaching security and a national emergency would ensue? lol Could be fun! ;)

Got your email btw bro... I'll drop you a line when I can!
G.

Alan Warner
31-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi Geoff,

I think your pretty much right on the money,

Although technically possible it is unlikely that many venues are going to let a photographer loose on their secured network, they have enought trouble keeping it working as it is without some interfering photographer sticking their RJ45 in,

most switches that we use are dumb things that pass through data regardless of IP addresse filtering ect, however after talking to a netgear tech major venue we cover I now understand that the switches used at these venues are programmed to accept specific ip/mac addresses only,

access to this info is just not going to happen in the real world...

Al'

Geoff McGrath
31-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Another thought then Alan...

Do you think that an Ethernet Powerline adaptor would work? Something like :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Netgear-XAV2001-H ... 43a4135226 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Netgear-XAV2001-Homeplug-Ethernet-Network-WiFi-Adapter-/290515538470?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item43a4135226)

I wonder.... then again try explaining that to a self-important hotel duty manager :| I used to be one! lol.

But this might present a viable option?

As before Rob if interested fire me an email. This router is going to waste here and I don't see myself using it.

Geoff.

Alan Warner
31-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Geoff,

Investigated this option a while back infact even borrowed kit from a BT mate of mine (they use in his section) to test but found a problem, both of the adapters were not on the same circuit so did not work, so were deemed a no go,

I think ROB's suggestion of just running std CAT5 cable to taking area and having a std wifi router located within a few feet of the taking position, if not use a cell like system of access points along the way,

also pleanty of gaffa tape !

Al'