Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Eye wifi cards and wireless USB dongles/adapters [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Eye wifi cards and wireless USB dongles/adapters

Alastair Moore
24-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi

Was looking to use the eye fi cards for my events setup- am using nikon view and camera control and/or either lightroom the both wrk well enuf it's jus my laptop the fails and let's me down probably because I've too much other stuff on it so this is why am lookin stand alone touch screen or desktop, but anyways does the eye wifi card work with a USB adapter connected to laptop/pc without the use of a router? And if so which adapter would be best and would this also wrk wit the ITOUCH screens that photomart are selling.

Thanks a mil

Alastair

Ed Brown
24-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Hi, im sure you have looked here: http://uk.eye.fi/

There are many people who will be able to answer im sure.

Have a good one!

Scott Kirk-Matthewson
24-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Hi alistair,

Use of theeye-fi card is limited to what camera you use, but doesnt rely on nikon view etc, just dumps the files where you want them.
I'm using a cheapo 29.99 router from pc world, seems to work ok.

Your mileage may vary of course

RobMarsh
24-12-2010, 05:32 PM
To try and answer your questions:

If you want to connect direct to the wi-fi on your laptop or PC, you will need a PRO card running in what is called Ad-Hoc mode. The Pro cards are considerably more expensive than the general home cards that I normally suggest for event work. Likewise, connecting in Ad-Hoc mode gives an unreliable and much slower connection from the camera.

Can't advise on the iTouch screens you refer to from PhotoMart, but assuming they are Mac based, the eye-fi comes with Mac compatable software, or if it is iPhone based, then you can use Shutterbug.
As Mark from Photomart has declared he is on holiday for a couple of weeks, it might be worth you sending him a PM to ask the question.

Most cameras are able to accept an eye-fi card either directly into the SD slot or with a suitable CF adaptor. What will be affected by the camera body is the range of transmission frm the camera to the wireless receiver. Other factors such as venue wi=fi will also affect the performance.

With the right combination and camera setup, you can achieve a very reliable and quick connection. I personally can transmit a jpeg file with a size of approx 3500x2500 pixels upto 50 feet in about 4.5 seconds indoor

Your profile doesn't say where you are, but if you are close to me and want to visit to test your camera, then I am more than willing to set my gear up for you

andrew waring
26-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Can't advise on the iTouch screens you refer to from PhotoMart, but assuming they are Mac based, the eye-fi comes with Mac compatable software, or if it is iPhone based, then you can use Shutterbug.
As Mark from Photomart has declared he is on holiday for a couple of weeks, it might be worth you sending him a PM to ask the question.

The iTouch is a windows based PC and works fine with the eyefi. It has built in wifi so may work adhoc with a pro card but as rob says it will be slow and unreliable, add a router and you only need the basic card and it will be fine, I've used an iTouch with eyefi and router and express digital and it worked no problems.
If you are near Leicester it's worth taking up rob's kind offer, I went to see him before I bought my first eyefi card and it was well demonstrated.

Tony New
27-12-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm in the States at the mo. Is there any price advantage in buying eyefi cards here or any legal restrictions on using them in the UK (frequency allocation issues)?

Thanks.

andrew waring
27-12-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm in the States at the mo. Is there any price advantage in buying eyefi cards here or any legal restrictions on using them in the UK (frequency allocation issues)?

Thanks.

I bought my first 2 eyefi cards in America, they're exactly the same and work fine. They are the same cards.

Alastair Moore
28-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi guys

Thanks for all the kind offers and advice, a cheap router prob is the best way and I think the ITOUCH screens have there own software so hope can send the photos to that, thanks for kind offer rob but unfortunately am in N.Ireland I will be at the SWPP convention in January however if ur there we could meet up.

Thanks again
Alastair

Tony New
28-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks Andrew. Going shopping today!!!